Spreading my wings a bit

Jim Burr

The family headed to BIL's place yesterday and since he has taught and given me so much (idea's and wood)...we naturally hit the shop. The big one is quilted maple with lip-in-lip. Finished in WOP. The little one is Manzanita with a knob I turned from ebony. Finished in SOL but I need to steel wool it down and hit it again. Maple is about 8x3 and box is 3x1.5. Stu mentioned that on a prior box the cap was under-defined...and he was right. I wanted some dimension to the cap on the box and it just worked out :). As always, critique is needed and welcome :wave:

Attachments

• Wood 126.jpg
    Wood 126.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Wood 131.jpg
    Wood 131.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Wood 127.jpg
    Wood 127.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Wood 129.jpg
    Wood 129.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Wood 128.jpg
    Wood 128.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 46
Nice work, Jim. The maple looks great, and the manzanita is gonna sing once you get the finish rubbed down. :thumb:

Hey Jim, I like the form of the lidded bowl. :thumb: I'll have to try one of those! The only thing I'm not wild about is the bottom ... too many lines, maybe? I think anything from 0 to 2 or 3 lines could work, but 4 just seems too "busy".

(Consider the source though; my last bowl looked like this: )

A540_0718_Underside.jpg

The funny thing is that the 4 lines look just fine on the manzanita piece. :dunno: And I love the cracked lid ... very cool. :)

Not a complaint, just a query. It seems that american turners go for a really high gloss on their work. Is this just that you all have the same taste in finish or is there another reason. Over here we tend to have a more satin look, sometimnes not even that.

Pete

Hey Jim, I like the form of the lidded bowl. :thumb: I'll have to try one of those! The only thing I'm not wild about is the bottom ... too many lines, maybe? I think anything from 0 to 2 or 3 lines could work, but 4 just seems too "busy".

(Consider the source though; my last bowl looked like this: )

A540_0718_Underside.jpg

The funny thing is that the 4 lines look just fine on the manzanita piece. :dunno: And I love the cracked lid ... very cool. :)

Kerry,
I see nothing wrong with the lines on Jim's bowl:thumb::thumb:, but I'm like you, I really prefer the smoother bottoms, your bowl is very nice and I like the grain pattern in the wood:thumb:.
Sometimes when I do bowls I actually am able to get a smooth bottom too.:rofl:

Thanks all! I to prefer a more satin finish like on the maple, it has so much quilt it's amazing and I wanted to pop the grain and not the finish. The jar came out looking almost oriental and most of those pieces are gloss laquer. I think that was the look I was going for. I added it a little heavy and am cutting it down. The lines on the bottom are just my little signature kinda thing. I never look at the bottom after I sign it. It goes on almost everything I do...assuming the bottom is big enough. I do like that smooth look though...next time I'll give it a shot :wave:

Last edited:
Great looking bowl and box. I really like the Manzanita.

Bernie said it all I only have one thing to add. I will only critique work like that when i can even do half that good. Until then I will observe and drool and leave the critiquing to those that have a greater sense of what needs to be done to further enhance your great work.:thumb: