Spalted Maple

Jeff Bower

Finally had some time at the lathe in the shop...this one is spalted maple, 8" wide and about 3" tall. Finsih so far is just one coat of danish oil, but more finish sanding and some more oil are in its future. The wood was punky and I almost gave up on it. Comments and critiques please....

Attachments

• 100_0176.JPG
    100_0176.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0172.JPG
    100_0172.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 32
Finally had some time at the lathe in the shop...this one is spalted maple, 8" wide and about 3" tall. Finsih so far is just one coat of danish oil, but more finish sanding and some more oil are in its future. The wood was punky and I almost gave up on it. Comments and critiques please....

Never give up on spalted maple that looks like that... that is a beautiful piece of wood and nice form and shape to it.

I'm still working on a tree that fell in my yard back in 2004... sometimes the wood is almost powder, but it's worth all the extra effort... some great spalting.
With the oil, does it soak in enough to sorta stabilize the punk??
I usually put a sanding sealer over mine because of the punk to try and harden it a little.... I just got a power sander and can get smoother finishes now... before I was sanding by hand and the punky areas weren't getting as smooth as I wanted... I have a few pieces that are a little rough in areas because of that.

Almost as good as ourspalted beech Jeff :rofl:

The bowl is lovely, How thin is the rim? Bet that took some concentration.

Pete

Now that's funny Pete:rofl:...The rim is just under a 1/4"...and thanks. :thumb:

Glad ye stuck with it. Lookin' fine.
I need some shop time. Between ice storm, cold and other activities, I haven't been in shop in weeks.

Frank, that's what kept me out of the shop too...weather, sinus infection and other activities...getting in there did wonders for my mood. :)

Never give up on spalted maple that looks like that... that is a beautiful piece of wood and nice form and shape to it.

I'm still working on a tree that fell in my yard back in 2004... sometimes the wood is almost powder, but it's worth all the extra effort... some great spalting.
With the oil, does it soak in enough to sorta stabilize the punk??
I usually put a sanding sealer over mine because of the punk to try and harden it a little.... I just got a power sander and can get smoother finishes now... before I was sanding by hand and the punky areas weren't getting as smooth as I wanted... I have a few pieces that are a little rough in areas because of that.

Chuck, the blank was almost 16" square when I started on it. About 4" just kinda tore away until I found more stable wood further in. The oil really does soak in but didn't stablize the punky parts. Bernie W. has a formula for that, can't remember what it is though. :huh:

As Pete said not a bad bit of spalting Jeff, certainly concentrates the tool skills though when it's that far gone, like Chuck I use sanding sealer on it as soon as I get anywhere near a desired shape, sometimes several coats whist it is still moist and still soaking into the wood.

Have been known to go rash and use a lot of thin CA on a particularly showy piece.