Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accounting Software

Accounting Software

Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I think it's time I kept better track of my business income and expenses.

I have been using Quicken Home & Business and maybe I've just not worked hard enough at it, but it seems to be a bit clumsy. I also have Microsoft Office Accounting. It offers lots of good stuff like direct links with PayPal, but it is not as automatic as Quicken in downloading transactions from my bank and reconciling them. Several additional steps involved. I don't find it easy to work with.

I know lots of people use Quick Books, and it seems as though that might be a good middle ground between the simplicity of Quicken and the vast array of options of MS Accounting.

For those of you tracking your business expanses - which product do you use? Or do you just throw everything into a shoebox and hand it to the accountant at the end of the year?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

another vote for quick books rennie,, thats what my accountant prefers..its a dream to work in.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

And yet another vote for quickbooks from me Rennie.
    cheers

And another vote for QuickBooks. I LOVE it!!
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

My sister in law is a CPA. She usually recommends Quickbooks to her clients.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

FWIW, another recommendation for QuickBooks.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quickbooks also. Can always download the free version to check it out, just doesn't have the import features.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Need I say it?? QB!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

It would seem as there is no contest.

I think I'll be moving to Quick Books.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Got it!

I took the unanimous advice of all here and purchased QuickBooks. Amazon had it on sale for $99 and I had some "points" saved up on a credit card that I turned into a $50 gift card for Amazon so the program set me back a whopping $49.

It took a little time to set up and convert all mu Quicken info. It doubled up on a number of transactions so I had to go line by line deleting them. Also had to clean up the chart of accounts and memorized transactions. The most aggravating part of the whole process was registering. You can't just do it automatically on line like every other program in the world. Noooooo, you have to call the 800 number and listen to all the sales pitches for the add-ons first. Then you speak to someone who was obviously a drop out from customer service school ask me all the same information I already input before I got the "Call us at 800-" screen. I was on hold for nearly 10 minutes waiting for the code I had to type in. Then, once typed in, I was asked to shut down the program and restart it to make sure it "took".

I like intuit's programs, but as a company they are very difficult to deal with. Actually, I like the ones I've worked with in the past. The jury is still out on QuickBooks. We'll see.

www.wrworkshop.com