Snowstorms, felines, and nomenclature

Bill Lantry

Well, folks,

Here I am in the frozen north. Just in principle, California boys should not move to the east coast. Yes, the University is closed, so I should be getting things done, but for some reason, 8" of snow outside just leads to a zen-like non-action. James, on the other hand, is having a heck of a time.

I should go out in the shop, but that means facing the catbox. A little background: had a perfectly good farmcat I brought here from western Penn. Even though she was a little long in the tooth, she kept the rodents at bay (we live on the edge of a forest). But she passed on to glory last spring. Since then, the squirrels have invaded, and there are mice massing outside for an assault. So, about ten days ago, I happily acquired a new feline. One problem: #5 son is terribly allergic, so she has to live in the shop, at least until she gets used to being outside. I was going to open the shop door this weekend, but Doorlink, who is normally as hard-hearted as a boarding school hall moniter, said "It's too cold! What if she goes outside and gets lost?" So I put off emptying the catbox, which is never a good solution. Such things always just get worse... and now I've got to trudge through the snow to do it. Why did I leave San Diego? ;)

The other problem: James has never named anything. All the boys have cat name suggestions, but I wanted James to name her. Alas, he's stuck on calling her "Poopers", for obvious reasons... ;)

So I throw it open to all of you, on this snow-blighted day. What's the best name for a shop cat you've ever heard? Winner gets brownie points. Doorlink, of course, will be the judge and final authority. She will also arbitrate all disputes with herself, and her decisions are final! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,
thankfully my latest two feline friends were named when I got them. However. let's see a picture and maybe we'll get a better idea.

as for the litter box. i feel your pain, imagine 2x the current use. Our 'boys' are house cats, and the LOML flat out refuses to have anything to do with the litter box. That's ok, I flat out refuse to deal with the dog poo, and they're much more prolific than the cats.

Frank,

We're hoping for something literary. I cite Eliot as an authority on the subject:

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?

This is what happens when you get a snow day. And I've always self-identified with Macavity:

He's outwardly respectable. (They say he cheats at cards.)
And his footprints are not found in any file of Scotland Yard's.

But, in any case, I'll run Rosie past The Arbiter! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Dusty.. works for either sex and definatly describes a shop that is used!

I'm very bad a putting names to pets, I had a dog that I called "DOG", my niece has a cat called "Plank Constant" because she got it when she was studying that constant.

Besides, my experience in US or English pet names is nil, but "DUSTY" as Larry suggest I think is very appropiate:thumb:

Sorry Bill I will have to pass on this one. I have never been a big fan of cats. Find them too selfish an animal. Now dogs they are mans best friend. If the cat was ginger, hey i might sugest something simple like ginger as a name.:rofl:

If the cat was ginger, hey i might sugest something simple like ginger as a name.:rofl:

Rob,

Alas, Ginger is my ex-wife's name. If I called the cat that, I could never bring myself to empty out the litterbox. It would be like deja vu all over again... ;)

Meanwhile, James has been playing with the camera again. Need to figure out how to restore the settings to factory default! ;)

Pics coming soon. By the way, the evil deed is done. The feline in question was very excited to have fresh litter... ;)

Sorry, forgot to mention, the cat's a girl. I didn't want a male "spraying" the tablesaw... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
See if you can find anything with a good translation, my cat who actully is more dog then cat (plays fetch, attempts to drink from tolet, and begs while sitting on her hind legs) is called Mei-Mei aka "Little Sister"

Besides, my experience in US or English pet names is nil

Toni,

I'm open to infamous Spanish medieval women (pre-cervantes). ;)

Sadly, Doorlink rejected Lucretia... :(

Thanks,

Bill
(who's spent the last half-hour browsing celtic cat names, and names of ancient goddesses. The house, of course, has a name: Les Naiades, which translates loosely to "the place of water nymphs," but none of the nymph names caught my fancy. I also wanted Lolita, but Doorlink put her delicate little foot down on that one, too... ;)

Here's a pic of the little sweetheart...

opossum_main.jpg

Since your wife sings and cat meows call her La Stupenda (or Stupenda) after one the greatest opera singers, Joan Sutherland (her nickname by the La Scala audiences).

I used to have a cat named "Pooter" ,which might go along with the litter box scenario, But Pooter loved Corn on the Cob, anytime we had a barbecue, after you'd finish your Corn on the Cob, leaving a few kernels, we'd toss the cob into the grass and Pooter would be on it like the homeless to a government cheese handout. never saw anything like it.:rofl::thumb::rofl:

Dan

My favorite cat name has always been "Samantha" - I've had three! If she's dark, the name would fit - as Samantha was a witch and dark-colored cats always seem to have some be-witching qualities.:D:eek: