Thread: Poplar Crib Finish

Poplar Crib Finish

Well I figure I might grab a little info while I'm getting the shop ready, Iíve not finished a project before and thought I would try and get some advice for the future.

The crib will be poplar and the color we are trying to go for is as close as we can to the color in the attached picture. Correct me if Iím wrong but it would be a good idea to prep the piece with Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner to prevent as much as one can possible splotching, then hit it with a coat of stain, multiple to darken it more. Then a couple coats of Polyurethane Varnish.

Even though Iím probably going to use minwax fr the wood conditioner, Iím looking at is a Sherwin Williams product called "Wood Classics" for the stain as its the only one i've found with a color that closely matches what we are going for but Iím defiantly going to take a couple pieces of scrap and do quite a bit of testing. I'm just not sure how mixing different company products works with this kind of thing.

Is there anything else I should hit it with that you would recommend? I'm going to do some more research here in a bit.

Thanks for any advise, and all the advice iv'e gotten in t he past. Without this site's insperation and your help I probobly would have given up trying to learn how to do this kind of stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stain.JPG  

About the best thing you could do would be to pick up the supplies you think you'll need and make some test panels on some of the scrap wood from the project. Keep track of which pieces use which process. Since it's poplar, you might want to find your prefered method on a non-green sample, then try it on a piece that has some green to it to make sure the color variation is acceptable.
    My guess is that to get the color you indicated, you'll be applying a sealer over the wood and staining the seal coat - not the wood itself. You can use a thin coat of shellac for your seal coat. The canned "bullseye" stuff is fine, just cut it in half with denatured alcohol and brush or wipe it on. It dries within minutes and is ready for the stain. It won't raise the grain either.
    Recently, i took some birch down as dark as your sample pic. To get it right, i wound up applying the thin seal coat of shellac, then a coat of water based stain over that. When that was dry, on went another seal coat of shellac, followed up by another coat of the water based stain. (this keeps the 2nd coat of stain from cutting the 1st coat). After that dried, on went 3 coats of poly. It worked out pretty well.
    Never rush the staining / finishing process. You've got too much into the project to make regrettable mistakes at the end.
    Have fun with it - let us know how it turns out.
    Paul Hubbman

as dark and muddy as the finish in the picture appears i`d just try your stain of choice on a piece (or two) of scrap...i have a feeling it`ll be fine without the extra step of sealing or conditioning.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Sounds good, I'll defently go ahead and buy a couple extra boards just for stain testing maybe cut them as some 6"x6"x1" or around there and try as many as I can. I'll also go ahead and write on the other side the steps i'm takeing so I can re-do them on the finished peice correctly.

Thanks again for the info

Chris

leave your test boards long......it`s easier to remove mistakes with the planer

Interesting Idea, the products used to stain wouldnt cause the planer to gum up any?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Marlor View Post
    Interesting Idea, the products used to stain wouldnt cause the planer to gum up any?
    i use mine to clean glue squeezeout from glue-ups.....finish doesn`t scare me at all.........just let it dry first.