OK - I'm ready for a test - A WIP

Yes, Bill nailed it.
I believe Vaughn's designation of "common" is highly debatable.
"common" to whom?
Even though he never taught me anything beyond how to use a broom, my father was a custom furniture maker. He made furniture for designers and decorators. I usually went with him on his initial calls and, later, deliveries. In all the years, I believe I would have heard, and learned, that term. Don't recall ever hearing, or seeing, it until yesterday.
IMHO, speaking the clients language is the way to go. Don't make 'em guess.
Well, with all the debate brewing I decided to just remove the term altogether. I really appreciate the input from everyone here and I've tried to implement as much as I could. You are a great bunch of encouragers!:thumb:

Not much room left for improvement here. I did send out an email to the address given by the link - figured all I could contribute at this point was to make sure mail got delivered.

Rennie, this means that you shouldn't immediately delete any emails from some crazy Polish person today. :rofl:

Not much room left for improvement here. I did send out an email to the address given by the link - figured all I could contribute at this point was to make sure mail got delivered.

Rennie, this means that you shouldn't immediately delete any emails from some crazy Polish person today. :rofl:
Note to all - I'm still having trouble getting the email thing to work so they are not getting to me. If you have a comment - and I welcome them - either post here or drop me a PM.

Mark - thanks for the kind words!:wave:

I guess I would've known about the email thing if I had paid attention when reading the first thread. :doh: :rofl:

Maybe add a temporary "email access under construction" note or something for the time being. Be a shame to lose a customer that finds the site through some wacky Google search and gets cranky about email not working.

I guess I would've known about the email thing if I had paid attention when reading the first thread. :doh: :rofl:

Maybe add a temporary "email access under construction" note or something for the time being. Be a shame to lose a customer that finds the site through some wacky Google search and gets cranky about email not working.
Good point - I'll route it to my home email temporarily.

Rennie,

I'm getting pretty persnickety here, but I'm not fond of the "misc" appellation. How about "Other Work"?

Also, I was about to ding the thing about shop limitations. It's self-focused, rather than client focused. Yes, it's honest, but it might be better to trumpet what you can do, rather than what you can't.

But when I tried to highlight it, to do a copy and paste, the text turned out to be an image? Are you sure google can index all your text? The spider might be crawling through and missing stuff! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Rennie,

I'm getting pretty persnickety here, but I'm not fond of the "misc" appellation. How about "Other Work"?

Also, I was about to ding the thing about shop limitations. It's self-focused, rather than client focused. Yes, it's honest, but it might be better to trumpet what you can do, rather than what you can't.

But when I tried to highlight it, to do a copy and paste, the text turned out to be an image? Are you sure google can index all your text? The spider might be crawling through and missing stuff! ;)

Thanks,

Bill
Hi Bill,

I was not totally happy with the misc designation either. Thanks for the push. I'll fix that on the next update.

The text issue is new to me - I used "Insert New Text Object". Could this be where the issue is? I'll look around and see what other options there are. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the shop limitations, let me give that some thought - you make a good case.

Last edited:
Rennie, I'm interested in the print with the old wooden ships and a guy in a skiff along side.
Interesting - I usually get requests for info on the smaller one.

OK - this is a print, pencil signed and numbered by the artist, called "Gron Pirate" by John A. Noble. It is dated 1979. It was a gift to my wife from her first husband when they lived in Jersey City and made frequent trips to NY City. It measures about 14" x 18".

What else would you like to know?

Yes, Bill nailed it.
I believe Vaughn's designation of "common" is highly debatable.
"common" to whom?

I've heard the term used over the past 25 or 30 years in building construction, art, software design, woodworking, metal fabrication, electronics, and several other fields. I'll stand by my "common" designation. :)

IMHO, speaking the clients language is the way to go. Don't make 'em guess.
On this we definitely agree. And Rennie's solution -- when in doubt, leave it out or find another way to say it -- is one that's worked well for me for years as a technical writer. ;)

Thanks,

Bill
I found out what the problem was with text. The program I'm using converts "unsafe fonts" to graphics to insure people who look at the site see the font I intended. Unsafe fonts are described as those that are not likely to be resident on most computers. The conversion to a graphic is done so my beautiful fonts are not converted to courier.:eek:

So, now I need to go back through all the pages and either convert everything to something safer, or find out a way to insure I can be found without giving up my chosen font. :huh:

rennie, i am not into making web pages but i do know fonts alittel and yu can convert fonts to outlines and eliminate the font issue completly.. i can do the converting here if i had the font and give you a pdf or eps to place in postion ,,but perhaps you have the abilty to convert in your web page program.

Ronnie, the main suggest that I have is on you main page have some pictures/examples of you work to catch a person interest so they look more at you page.

May want a page were is shows the extra details that you do. This page would show the fine details in you work and the different wood that you work with. Remember most people are not woodworkers and pictures help.

On your statement "Since I work on a single project at a time, my lead times can run to over a month or more." I would change this to a more positive note. To something to like, " I devote all of my woodworking skills to a single (your) custom project at a time. With this in mind we can cover in more detail your custom project lead times."

On your "About me page" you may want or may not want to cover briefly about your love of woodworking and how you stated out and number of years woodworking both as and amateur and professional.

I would cover in a statement the range of projects from big to small to show your range of work.

Nice looking fonts, over all a very nice web page. Like the lay out and flow.:thumb:

The biggest change if any is you may want to remove that scar, bloodcurdling picture in the upper left corner. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mark

Ronnie, the main suggest that I have is on you main page have some pictures/examples of you work to catch a person interest so they look more at you page.

May want a page were is shows the extra details that you do. This page would show the fine details in you work and the different wood that you work with. Remember most people are not woodworkers and pictures help.

On your statement "Since I work on a single project at a time, my lead times can run to over a month or more." I would change this to a more positive note. To something to like, " I devote all of my woodworking skills to a single (your) custom project at a time. With this in mind we can cover in more detail your custom project lead times."

On your "About me page" you may want or may not want to cover briefly about your love of woodworking and how you stated out and number of years woodworking both as and amateur and professional.

I would cover in a statement the range of projects from big to small to show your range of work.

Nice looking fonts, over all a very nice web page. Like the lay out and flow.:thumb:

The biggest change if any is you may want to remove that scar, bloodcurdling picture in the upper left corner. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mark
All good observations - and nearly all will be adopted.....except for that last one.:D

New and improved?

I want to thank all of you that have offered a critique of my web site. I realize it still has a long way to go and that I am a total novice at such things. Your guidance and patience are most appreciated.:wave:

I've tried to incorporate as many of your suggestions as possible, even removed my smiling face from many of the pages.:rofl: I lightened the background and standardized the location of my buttons from one page to the next. I also added a little more personal information as suggested.

If you would, please let me know how the updates look and keep the suggestions flowing.:type::D

Thank you!

rennie it looks pretty much top notch.. this may be just my eyes but i think the home page font could be just a touch heavier dont want to be the same as your lower statement but heavier would be easir to read i think maybe bump both piece up a bit to keep them in sinck. not sur eof your font choice but you can either add a stroke to yours or use a medium font rather than normal or regular .. just thought bud :thumb::thumb: every thing else is fine..

rennie it looks pretty much top notch.. this may be just my eyes but i think the home page font could be just a touch heavier dont want to be the same as your lower statement but heavier would be easir to read i think maybe bump both piece up a bit to keep them in sinck. not sur eof your font choice but you can either add a stroke to yours or use a medium font rather than normal or regular .. just thought bud :thumb::thumb: every thing else is fine..
Thanks Larry - still refining. Thanks for the input!:thumb: