Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric upgrade

Electric upgrade

Not really an upgrade, but looking at saws I have found that even if I get a hybrid it is around a 30 amp draw start up and 20 am running on most of them. Well I would still have to have some work done to be able to run a hybrid since I only have 20 amp breakers in the garage. Figured what the hey, so I have my dads buddy, which is an electrician coming tomorrow to see about just putting in 220 in my garage.

If it works out I should have a new saw ordered shortly. I still don't know if I want to get a grizzly hybrid or just go for it and get a grizzly 1023 or the new 690/691. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. From what I have seen on the net it appears the 690/91 have a lesson motor, which I take is a good thing.

No recommendations on the Griz - others here know more about these than I. But I will commend you on the decision to install 220v service. You'll not regret it.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

get the biggest heaviest saw you can afford.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Riving Knife!!! Leeson Motor!!! No brainer

I love spending other peoples' money :P :P

On the 220v circuits - have 'em give ya a 20a circuit or a 30a circuit - the 20a should cover a 3hp motor, the 30a would cover a 5hp motor. In fact, there should be enough head room in either for that and a DC
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I am not aware of a hybrid that pulls 30 amps, which one is it? I bought a hybrid because I was never gonna have 220 . . . . next thing I got was a decent bandsaw and so 220 was added, I now have it everywhere I need it and more. On the upside, the saw runs as good on 220 or 110 as long as the circuit is dedicated so I switched it back to 110 and have another 220 available for who knows what.

If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten at least a 3HP saw. The hybrid does great and I have never bogged it. But, you can always use raw power and the cost is not that much more with the newer small cab saw offerings.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-03-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Dustin,

A big bad motor is a good thing. A riving knife is even better!

As for power, though: I run a hybrid on a 20 amp breaker. It never trips...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Dustin,

A big bad motor is a good thing. A riving knife is even better!

As for power, though: I run a hybrid on a 20 amp breaker. It never trips...

Thanks,

Bill
    That is good to know and I might just be reading more into it than I should have. It's all still up in the air on what I will get. It all depends on if I can put in another 220 in box. Plus...psst don't tell, but the wife knows I have a dollar in my pocket and keeps dropping hints about taking her somewhere. I would think after buying all new leather furniture a little over a week ago should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cranford View Post
    That is good to know and I might just be reading more into it than I should have. It's all still up in the air on what I will get. It all depends on if I can put in another 220 in box. Plus...psst don't tell, but the wife knows I have a dollar in my pocket and keeps dropping hints about taking her somewhere. I would think after buying all new leather furniture a little over a week ago should be enough.
    you didn`t holler loud enough about the furniture....each piece ought to be good for a stationary tool......
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cranford View Post
    I would think after buying all new leather furniture a little over a week ago should be enough.
    You must be a young man. If there's one thing us old-timers have learned: "It's NEVER enough!"

Just tell her "Honey, if I had a bandsaw, I could make that for you... and that... and that... and I could make them *exactly* the way YOU want them..."

Sometimes it works, for a little while...

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    You must be a young man. If there's one thing us old-timers have learned: "It's NEVER enough!"

Just tell her "Honey, if I had a bandsaw, I could make that for you... and that... and that... and I could make them *exactly* the way YOU want them..."

Sometimes it works, for a little while...

Thanks,

Bill
    Well young is all in how a person feels I guess. I am only 34 however after 10 years of swing shifts and 2 aneurysms and 2 brain surgeries to fix them in 10 years I feel 60. But hey I am here today and that is what matters. We won't discuss tomorrow until I wake up. You can say I live day to day and I am well aware there may not be a tomorrow. Ahh..... enough sob story. If anyone wishes to discuss any of that I am more than willing to help anyone going through the same thing. It's good therapy. Just PM me.