Rockwell 46-111 (newer design)

I need to replace the tail stock on my Rockwell 46-111.(the captured nut that allows the quill to be tightened spins in the pocket) I thought about just using some epoxy but if I can find anther one I'd be happier. Replacing the banjo would be good too as it was brazed up at some point. I've googled for one but no luck. So if you know of a parts machine or a source I'd be a happy camper!

local machine shop?
a steel banjo is really nice and a new square nut that fits isn`t much money.
plus you save on freight and keep your money local.

Parts show up on e*ay often. Also check buy & sell forum on www.OWWM.org and the various machinery dealers like Dempsey and Company in Richmond, VA or Redmond Machinery in Atlanta, GA.

The banjo on the 46-111 was a weak design. It's not unusual to find them broken and brazed back together. A Delta 1460 banjo will fit and is a lot stronger design.

Mike

Royall, for the capture nut, could you drill it out a little larger and then tap it and use a simple hex head bolt? Not sure it would work but it was the first thing that came to mind....I would think there might be some other similar makes and models that might have banjos that might work as well.

Good luck!

local machine shop?
a steel banjo is really nice and a new square nut that fits isn`t much money.
plus you save on freight and keep your money local.

Tod, are most of the older Delta banjos about the same? Seen some on eBay that looked very close. From what I've heard of machine shops here is they'll work on anything.... when they feel like it:D

Parts show up on e*ay often. Also check buy & sell forum on www.OWWM.org and the various machinery dealers like Dempsey and Company in Richmond, VA or Redmond Machinery in Atlanta, GA.
The banjo on the 46-111 was a weak design. It's not unusual to find them broken and brazed back together. A Delta 1460 banjo will fit and is a lot stronger design.
Mike

Thanks for the links Mike, I'll check through on them as time permits today. I'll punch in the 1460 at eBay and see what I come up with. I think the banjo would be more important to change first for safety reasons.

Royall, for the capture nut, could you drill it out a little larger and then tap it and use a simple hex head bolt? Not sure it would work but it was the first thing that came to mind....I would think there might be some other similar makes and models that might have banjos that might work as well.

Good luck!

I'm not sure I'd want to try to do that in this tail stock. The material doesn't feel like it would hold threats very well. Probably why there is a pocket and nut inside. Tod mentioned making a new nut and that got me thinking of using a piece of 5/16" or 3/8" flat stock and making a nut with a couple of longer wings and just drill and tap it to size. May have to grind a little on the tail stock. On the other (other than just more fingers) I could have a couple of nubbins welded on the nut. Just have to think who has a welder or bottles???

Thanks for the input guys.... just need some input to get the brain to working properly.:rofl:

Thanks for the call Tony!:thumb: I took some photos of the inside of the tail stock showing the location of the nut. If I mail you the nut could you weld a 1/8" or 3/16" x1 1/2" rod to the side of the nut on one of the flats? That would allow the nut to set where it is supposed to but the rod will be touching the front and the sides of the case, preventing it from turning.... Clear as mud?? Also too a shot of the outside of the tail stock showing where the bolt pinches the case to hold the quill. Look at the banjo (may have posted this way back when??) The repair looks old and maybe serviceable. Would you trust it? Get a new one?:huh::dunno:

Any and all replies welcome:D

Attachments

• IMG_8448 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_8448 (Medium).jpg
    75 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8449 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_8449 (Medium).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_8450 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_8450 (Medium).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 28