Questions about Delco Repulsion Induction Motor

scott spencer

I picked up a couple of old Delco single phase RI motors. One is a model A1000 - 1/3hp , 5 amp, and the other a model 5000 - 1/2hp, 8 amp. Both run at 1750 rpms and run on either 110v or 220v. Both are really big and heavy for the ratings. They appear to be in good shape and turn easily, but I haven't plugged them in yet to confirm that they run.

My question is do motors like these have resale value? Are they worth putting into service around the shop? Any and all tidbits of info are appreciated...

Thanks,
Scott

First let me say my knowledge on this is limited. But yes, RI motor are great motors! The HP ratings are a bit deceptive. I think it is because they have more torque than a typical new motor. I read up on them and they work differently when loaded down. I forget the details now. But I do know they pull harder and stronger than capacitor start motors.

My 1948 Unisaw has a 1 hp (or is it 1.5 hp?) motor and I have never come near stalling it out. I did manage to slow it down the other day but stuff a 5/4 piece of popular down it throat. But it didn't stall either, just slowed a bit. Using this saw you would assume it was a 3hp or better.

I doubt there is much value in resale except to some old arn guys. Then we are bottom feeders (cheap). But they are great to use and most likely can be rebuilt by a good motor shop. I had my Unisaw motor gone through locally.

I would love to find a 1hp RI motor for my jointer that is coming end of the month. If you decide to sell them I might be interested or could lead you to a buyer. Shipping is the killer of course.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff! You're right about shipping...they've got to weigh > 50#. Maybe my little 8" Grizzly DP or Sears 12" BS would enjoy a heart transplant! :D

Are these the kinda motors with the commutator and brushes used for reversing the motor direction? My jointer has one of those, I learned the hard way to index the casing parts before taking them apart to clean out 50 years worth of chips :doh:

My unisaw has the same sort of motor, but I've never dug into it to see if its reversible (who would want to?), but it does have a brush arraignment for doing something with the fields. I probly ought to dig into the planer too, see what runs it.

Scott,

I'll offer my thoughts, from a non-professional hobbyist woodworker that has a few motors he's bought, another 5HP 3 phase being worked on at the moment.

Single phase motors go for more $$$s, because, the majority of use can only use 3 phase. 3 phase is a double edge sword for most, but cost is never one since used 3 phase machines and motors go for less, typically.

As a rule of thumb, and this is only a rule, 3 phase motors are worth about $10/hp, but this doesn't hold true for small motors as yours. I saw as a rule of thumb, because there is no set price, and new 3 phase motors are no cheaper than single phase.

Typically people are looking for single phase motors to replace 3 phase motors in older machines, which can easily be done on belt driven machines. A direct drive motor needs to have the specific bracket/mount, but with belt drive you could always make a mount more easily.

I don't have much experience buying single phase motors, but know they go for more, and at some point if someone needs a motor, a new one could cost some $$$s. Those small motors you have sound good for a lot of things. I don't know I personally swap out a working motor for another, unless there was a big improvement. Look for machines that don't have motors, that's where you can get some good deals.

Have you used them? Do you have the switches/starters? I would definitely make sure they work if you haven't plugged them in some way and know they do in fact work.

Lastly, motors are often free. Sometimes good, sometimes bad...I have one I got for free, it's really old, I would like to see pics of yours. I don't have pics of this one, but I have a GE 1 1/2 HP Cast Iron motor, that must be made around 1920. I got it for free with an angle gear that came off some type of farm equipment. Do you need an angle gear? (just pay shipping! :rofl: )

This motor is bigger than a recent 5HP motor like a Leeson, Baldor, etc...it also has oil/grease tubs on the shafts/bearings. I'm gonna put it on a similar era Crecent 8" Jointer.

The motor was given to me by a blacksmith who it was worthless to, as he doesn't have 3 phase. :D For me it was a gem, since I had an old machine that didn't have a motor which it would be perfect for. One man's trash is another's treasure...;)

I did want a bigger motor, but in power...not size! This was a perfect motor for my machine though.

Seriously though, do you have pics of your motors? I can get a pic of mine to show you what it looks like, but not until too lazy tonight.

Scott,

Picked me up another 5HP 3 Phase motor, brand spankin' new, it's a Toshiba. It came off an Ingersoll Rand compressor. I got it for $40. Even included the Toshiba document that Ingersoll Rand packaged with the compressor new.