Bandsaw blade selection

Ken,
I'm pretty certain that I'll get one 1/8" blade for that occasional project where I want a tight radius (puzzle boxes for example), and then a couple of mid-range general duty 1/4 or 3/8 with moderate TPI and then one or two 1/2" for resaw.

This saw came with my midi lathe, not quite as a package deal, but close enough. The price was right, I had the cash and it 'needed to go' according to my friend's ex gf. I honestly don't plan on stressing it too much, if I ever get to the point where I'm pushing it's limits on resawing, I'll save up some more and get a bigger saw. And truth be told, buying a bigger saw is in my plans, just not right now, too many things to do first.. wiring, insulation, Jointer, bigger DC... stuff like that.

And for the record, the saw has a nominally 1HP motor.

bsplate.jpg

I think I'll probably stick with a max of 1/2" blade for now. If I don't like how it behaves with that, I Might go up to a 3/4, but given that I'm not going to do a ton of resaw, I should be ok with 1/2".

The Guru's, like Mark Dugenski and Louis Iturra say that most all 14" bandsaws, particularly old style cast iron frame w/risers, don't have the rigidity or strong enough tension spring to properly tension a 3/4 inch blade, even though they have the capacity for it. (this could have been your problem, Vaughn). I recommend getting Dugenskis book "The Bandsaw Handbook" or the Iturra Design Catalog, which is also a wealth of info on bandsaws. There's a saw shop near me that carries Lennox stock, and I think it's by far the best bang for the buck, and I've tried them all. As an example, a 105" 1/2 x 4tpi is 12 bucks. IMHO Timberwolf's are over-rated and over-priced. BTW Iturra sells blades called "Bladerunner" using the same stock as "Woodslicer" but for quire a bit less. He doesn't have a website (oldschool I guess) but the # is 888-722-7078. Ask and they will send you their catalog/bandsaw manual.. It's a wealth of information.