Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who owns a NOVA 1624-44?

Who owns a NOVA 1624-44?

So here's the deal. I think I am going to buy another lathe. Right now the sale on the NOVA 1624-44 is hard to pass up. I had to pass it up the last time cuz I didn't have the money. But as I am trying to get into more professional work, I continually run into serious issues with the lathes I have. So, it's time to get a lathe that's an in-betweener (I have a monster and a mini). In case you are wondering why another one, my big lathe maxes out at 1200 rpms and it doesn't have a MT in the driveshaft.

That said, you who own this lathe, what are your like and dislikes? Ever had technical/mechanical issues? Thanks.

Hutch

I gots one! Short of not having variable speed control no problems. It's done everything I've asked it to. The lock down on the tailstock broke, I e-mailed Teknatool inquiring about a replacement, Tim Geist e-mailed the next day that he had a new one in the mail to me. Once you get the hang of moving the belt, it goes fast. Quite frankly, I'm not convinced the variable speed is worth the price difference, but will admit it would be nice to have.

Bottom line -- I'm happy

Tony, BCE '75

I got one, too. I've not had any troubles with it. I'm now taking a 15" x 4" wheel of White Oak that I'm making into two platters and a shallow bowl. It's handling it well. Started at 210 and am about to increase the speed to get the first one done and off the piece. If you can do without the VS, it'a a very good lathe.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I've had mine for about 4 months. I thought I liked my craftsman,that I bought new about seven years ago. There is no comparison between the lathes, except for the variable speed, was very desirable. I bent the shaft on the craftsman, it was very thin, and found out they did not stock parts.
    The Nova is a joy to use, very quiet, and is having no problem with my current project, a piece of birch 14X13

I've had mine for 2 years now. Great piece of equipment. Not had the first pit of trouble with it. Haven't found the job it couldn't handle. Service is first rate should you need any.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

I love mine. Had it since early last summer. No problems. Only dislike, it the lid that goes over the pulleys, It takes longer to loosen to open the hatch and tighten the knob to secure it than it does to change belts. If you don't tighten it it rattles. Leave it open and the compartment would get full of chips. Been trying to think of a simple way to change this. I have not done any big turning with the lathe so can't comment on how it handles that. I went from VS to this lathe. VS is nice, but I cannot justify the extra expense for what I do.

Done and done!

Sounds good! I put one on layaway earlier today. I would have bought it outright, but I figure I should wait 'til a few other expenses are put behind me. Can't wait to bring it home!

Hutch

P.S. As far as the pulley cover goes, is there a way that rare earth magnets might fix the issue?

Hutch, it could be that the magnets might do it. Once you try it out and work the bugs out let the rest of us know so that we can learn from your hard work.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Who owns the NOVA 1624?

Me gots one and love that sucker,ain't found anything it won't turn as yet.Changin the belts takes about 10 sec.Your gonna love it .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I love mine. Had it since early last summer. No problems. Only dislike, it the lid that goes over the pulleys, It takes longer to loosen to open the hatch and tighten the knob to secure it than it does to change belts. If you don't tighten it it rattles. Leave it open and the compartment would get full of chips. Been trying to think of a simple way to change this. I have not done any big turning with the lathe so can't comment on how it handles that. I went from VS to this lathe. VS is nice, but I cannot justify the extra expense for what I do.
    I have a similar irritation with the belt change on my Grizzly G0632. Requires Allen wrench to remove bolts and open the reclose. I'm thinking of using some stick-on velcro and tossing the bolts.