Big Island Woodturners Photo update 3/10

Went to their open house last night. I was over whelmed by the beauty of what was on display. I didn't put in captions as I didn't have anything to write on and there was just too much. I think I have photos of only 1/3 of what was on display. I did talk to the man that made the "Queen's set" It is made out of one piece of Norfolk Island Pine. He finished it with catalyzed lacquer with a little putrescence. The camera just couldn't do it justice. The lid of the larger bowl makes a platter when upside down. All the bowls were cut out of each other. "Checkmate" was written on the bottom of the finial and the purple hart under the finial could be used as a cover for the goblet. Each item on top is separate from the other so you could turn the whole set into one large chess piece! Quite the imagination. There is a couple of shots of what looks like snake skin on an edge. Sorry to say the photo of that piece was too blurry to post. I wish I had a tripod. The natural light is so much better but hard to hold the camera steady. There were a few shots done with flash but they just don't look as nice. The tall vase with the green band around the neck was my favorite. Also, the man that made the "Queens Set" has only been turning for one year!

Hope you enjoy the slide show!

http://royallswoodworking.shutterfly.com/

Last edited:
Wow Royall what a show. Very nice of you to take and share the photographs. I am in awe of the large winged bowls (p17 & p18). How that is done without losing an arm is beyond me.

Thanks!

well royall it was good knowin you,, but one thing for certain you are in some great company over there,, that was some amazing turnings and you have got a wealth of information at your disposal there in your back yard...WOW thanks for the show.

Wow Royall what a show. Very nice of you to take and share the photographs. I am in awe of the large winged bowls (p17 & p18). How that is done without losing an arm is beyond me.

Thanks!

Those winged bowls are Koa wood. One was called "Wings" the other called "Twister" cost 2900 bucks and 5200 bucks:D

well royall it was good knowin you,, but one thing for certain you are in some great company over there,, that was some amazing turnings and you have got a wealth of information at your disposal there in your back yard...WOW thanks for the show.

Oh, I'll be "around" for some time. I do like flat stuff. Besides, I broke da lathe Thursday:(:rofl:

Each piece excells the other.
You islanders do some astonishing work.
Every item there surpasses superlatives.
We will be in Hawaii in a couple weeks but the big island is not on our agenda, unfortunately. I would have loved to see that show and meet some island turners.

You're very fortunate to see that much high-quality woodturning displayed in one place. Thanks for taking all the pics for us. :thumb:

Nice show Royall, thanks for sharing :thumb: Some incredible pieces. Just amazing what can come out of a chunk of wood when in the right hands.

Tom

Big Island Woodturners Exhibit 2009 Updated 3/10

I went to a turning demo on Saturday. Glen was showing a group of people how to make tops with the lathe. He did a great job considering he has Parkinson disease and was shaking pretty good. He said you just have to learn different tricks when you shake like he did!:D There are just a few shots of that because the weather wasn't to nice outside where the demo was. I went in and took more photos of the exhibits. Some are duplicates by accident others I just wanted to show more detail.

Thanks for looking!

http://royallswoodworking.shutterfly.com/

Rob, BI turners has about 60 members if I remember correctly. They charge no dues but with the donated sales have enough money to bring in big name turners from around the world to demonstrate, and they do that once or twice a year. I'm almost too intimidated to participate with them.:eek:

royall never be intimadated by anyone! if they love wood they are good folk and even if they turn it they still can be alright folk:) you would kick your self in the back side if you stayed away,, you can learn more what they have forgot thant what you would ever learn by tryun it out without them.. go forrest run!!! i will still keep yuin the will even if you are going dizzy:)! never ever be intimadted by anyone, they all do things like yu and me just some thing might be better.