Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some First's

Some First's

First time for a DNA soaked bowl, and first NE out of anything. The big one is Flame box elder from ebay, about 8x2.5 overall. The wood is so light colored that I did a small foot to make it look suspended. I undercut the lip a bit so the lip is 5/16" and the rest is 1/4" thick. 2 coats of WOP so far.
    The little mutt is a lump of peach; I have an unlimited supply of both green and dry fruitwood as of yesterday. It's badly dried, but I wanted the experience so I had a lash at it...thatís a nickel in the middle so about 3 across the wings. I have more in DNA so we'll see what we see! Lemme know what ya think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood 134.jpg   Wood 135.jpg   Wood 136.jpg   Wood 137.jpg   Wood 138.jpg  

Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

They both look pretty good to me. The peach might have dried a bit better if you had boiled it for an hour or so. Looks like you may have made a cut or two from center out toward the rim as well. When you're trying to keep the bark on, always go from the rim toward the center, at least until you get past the bark. Both shapes are pretty good though.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Nice job on both bowls, Jim. I really like the box elder, and the little peach bowl came out pretty good for a first shot at natural edges. (They're a real test of a steady tool hand, huh?)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jim both are beauties. You did a great job on the NE for a first. Looks better than my first and I wouldn't even post my first one.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thatís when you return from work one day
    and say, ďHi, Honey, Iím home Ė forever.Ē

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Love the Box Elder bowl! The foot might be a little small, but as long as you don't put just one banana in it you should be fine.

I'll have to try me a NE form one of these days. What's the secret to getting the cracks "just so"?

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    Love the Box Elder bowl! The foot might be a little small, but as long as you don't put just one banana in it you should be fine.
    You mean you actually use these bowls... I thought they were just for "pretties" to sit on a shelf!

Nice work Jim
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Thanks all! Doug, thanks for the tip, I'll start from the outside next time. Kerry, those cracks are scientific in nature and engineered in a precise location . Actually, I saw this log on the way to church a few weeks ago, pulled up and asked LOML to grab the little sucker. It was pretty dry at that point, but I did manage to get some fresh stuff in DNA. A local farmer just pulled up an orchard of the same stuff. They usually get mulched in a mongo size chipper. I asked if I could have a few trunks, I got 40, and there is more. Yipee!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood 139.jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 03-09-2009 at 03:07 AM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Whoopsie! Can you say "TILT!" ?

I had the scale wrong; from the photos the bowl looked big enough to hold a banana on its side. I figured the weight would all be on one half.

Anyway, it looks like bananas are right out.

Jim, the banana picture made me literally laugh out loud. That's a classic.

Perfect M&M bowl, though. (Or Smarties, for the guys in the UK.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    No, no, no. Bowls arn't for bananas! HooksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8439 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	29696are for bananas!!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.