Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dining chair idea

dining chair idea

this is the sketchup of the chairs i built for our dining area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dining chair sktechup a.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    this is the sketchup of the chairs i built for our dining area.
    Looking good! I assume that the actual seat was added during the production run?

From the looks of your description, you've already built these. Is that correct? If so, how does the back rest feel? It looks like it's about 90 from the seat. Is it comfortable like that? If you haven't built them yet, you might consider tilting the back a little bit.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

kerry - one is done and upholstered, the other 3 are waiting to be sanded, and finished. i'm just waiting for better weather.

vaughn - the back is a straight up 90 degrees. i was worried about the comfort level, until i sat down on the pine prototype, and found it to be quite comfortable. my wife has been using the first one for the last six months, and no complaints from her yet.
    benedictione omnes bene

lets see 6months for one to be finished and the others are gonna be done 2yrs from now then huh.. so how do you like making chairs? i had 6 that i needed but i backed out didnt feel upto the challenge..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    lets see 6months for one to be finished and the others are gonna be done 2yrs from now then huh.. so how do you like making chairs? i had 6 that i needed but i backed out didnt feel upto the challenge..
    no larry, the first one only took a couple three days to finish, but it took another month or so to get permission from the boss to finish the others. at first she said we didn't have the room for the other 3, but then changed her mind. i liked making the chairs, as it was a new challenge for me. since they were my first all up design, i drew up the plans full size, then made a pine prototype to see how it would all fit together, made a few adjustments, and went on to cut the parts. since i wanted 4 of them, i cut the parts for all 4 at the same time. 4 sets of front and back legs, 4 sets of short spindles, etc., and divided them up. as i didn't know who would be sitting on them in the future, like your quote says, i built them a touch on the stout side, and they wiegh in at about 25 lbs each.
    benedictione omnes bene

Thanks Dan, i havnt put them out in the cold yet but they are far from the top of my list got othere things i need done first...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

a question about leg thickness

I dont know sketch up, so please forgive this cave man drawing, but Im also about to start 6 chairs. (all mahogany ofcourse, to match a table)
    This is the basic design, around 41 inches high back, will look something like this picture, large slat, 2 thin slats, basic chair, slight curve on rear legs, 16x16 area for seat 18x18 seat cushion.

What is the minimum thickness I should use for the legs, both rear and front?
    I was thinking 1.5-1.75 inch, will this serve well? (can I get away with one inch)

My reasons for asking:I dont have a bandsaw, so Im going to rough cut all the rear legs(angled legs) with a jigsaw, then use a template and flush trim route the legs. I dont have a bit wide enough to do over an inch, so I want to know which bit to buy before I start dressing up raw lumber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 639 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-09-2009 at 09:11 PM.

Allen you could try Freud for a flush trim bit in the larger sizes, I have a 2" x 2" long with bearing It looks dangerous but is one of my favorite bits.

After going out at 9 to start recoating my cabinet, the humidity squashed that idea, still had a slight tackiness to the touch, so Ill have to wait till tomorrow, or at least tonight.
    I have a few hours to kill this morning, and its warm out(raining ofcourse), but I grabbed the old 2x4s sitting around and some old mdf, and put together the chair Im thinking of.
    I wanted my wife to see it. There is not curve in the back legs(no angle)
    This is straight legged. Im hoping shes says ok, cause it will save me wood, a ton of time, and I wont have to buy any new bits for the router right now.
    I slapped on some reddish stain(to make it look more mahogany like) so she could visualize the chair better, Im really trying to sell her on this one.
    Simple, easy cuts, this one took me 1 hour 20 minutes from start to finish staining, ofcourse I missed some spots, but its going into the trash anyway.
    The cushion is off my current chair, Ill use them till we make new ones.
    Does this design look stable enough?
    (this was put together with a nailer and a few pocket screws, the mahogany chairs will be all MT joints)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 646 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 647 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 648 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 649 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 651 (Medium).jpg