Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how do you paper mount?

how do you paper mount?

I've tried hot glue on an aluminum faceplate with varying degrees of success and some launches. I don't like wasting nice wood and eschew screws because I would rather use tenon wood as a foot, or whatever. Have heard some of y'all speak of using glue and paper.
    Someone please explain the technique to me. That will make it easier and lazier for me than experimenting.

Frank,
    can't say i have a clue what you're talking about. Can you clarify?
    paulh

Diito
    cheers

Frank, I've never tried to glue a blank directly to the faceplate, but instead a waste block or glue block and then screw the faceplate to that. I just picked up some 5/4 poplar cutoffs and cut up some blocks. I've used medium CA glue and accelorator for glue, but others use Titebond or similar.

Here is a photo tutorial I found on the method....

No Chuck Bowl
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Hi Guys,

I may be wrong but what I think Frank is referring to is glueing a waste block to the blank to be turned with a sheet of paper between the two pieces of wood. The screws from the faceplate are screwed into the scrap.

When finished the scrap is easy to separate by pulling apart at the paper joint.

Regards,

Mike C

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Thanks for posting the link Jeff, that was a good tutorial.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

You shouldn't use paper between a waste block tenon and bowl blank.

You do use paper for split spindles. example: Let say you want a half spindle on each side of a mirror. You glue two pieces of wood together with paper sandwiched in between. You then turn one spindle and split it in two along the paper line giving you matching halves for each side

Just glue a waste block to the side that is going to be the bottom. Mount the blank with a screw center and turn a tenon on the waste block to fit your chuck. Shape as much of the bottom of the bowl as you can without interfering with the tenon.

Take the bowl off the screw center and mount it in the chuck. Hollow the inside and finish.

Now reverse the bowl by using a doughnut chuck, Cole jaws or other method and finish turning and shaping the bottom removing the remnants of the waste block and any glue residues. You will lose a little wood from your original blank but not much.

By the way, back in the olden days when I took shop in school I turned a bowl that was glued to a waste block with paper between the blank and the waste wood. A faceplate was then screwed to the waste block. After I shaped the bowl as much as I could which was not much we split the bowl off the waste block and sanded the bottom flat. My mom still has this wonderful bowl..... I think she keeps the dog leash in it...
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sardo View Post
    You shouldn't use paper between a waste block tenon and bowl blank.

[/I]
    Been gluing paper to the waste block & the to the bottom of the bowl for years Ron. Before chucks this used to be the mounting of choice so that it would be easy to separate with a chisel. I've even used 3/4" plywood for a waste block works fine. This is a method they use to teach in school shops.

So what your take on it & why do you recommend against it?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Been gluing paper to the waste block & the to the bottom of the bowl for years Ron. Before chucks this used to be the mounting of choice so that it would be easy to separate with a chisel. I've even used 3/4" plywood for a waste block works fine. This is a method they use to teach in school shops.

So what your take on it & why do you recommend against it?
    Wood to wood is a stronger joint. Someone who doesn't have good control with a bowl gouge runs a risk of breaking a paper joint with a light catch. Knowing Frank's troubles with bowl gouges I thought he would be better off.

I know many people still use this method, I just believe there are better ways to glue on a tenon to a bowl blank than sandwiching paper between the two.

My question to you is why would you want to weaken the joint between a tenon and a bowl blank?