New to woodworking, need ideas

Dan Thibert

Hi All,

I am relitivly new to woodworking, I have accumulated a fair amount of tools and I have always been very handy.
I picked up a book that brought me throught making different items, Box (used for my dogs toy box), book case, shop cabinet, base cabinate (attached my miter saw to this) and I am finnishing up a red oak coffee table.

I would like to continue to learn and work on my skills but am at a bit of a loss as to where to go. I do not really need furniture.

I am thinking items that are maybe a bit more intricate taht can be given for Christmas gifts.

Any ideas would be great. Also if anyone knows of some good plans that woudl be great.

Any ideas would be great. Also if anyone knows of some good plans that woudl be great.

Hi Dan and welcome to the family.

While I'm not new to wood I am new to building things with wood. I've found that making clocks is a good way to learn a lot of the basics without having to make something that's too big to go into your house. There are lots of plans around for free or for sale. The local Woodcraft store here in OKC has several clock plans as well as entire kits. I'm just finishing up my latest one (first one in about 10 years) and I used all kinds of joints on it. Mortise and tenon, thru mortise and tennon, rabbets, and miters. I even had a chance to use a dovetail if I'd wanted to. It required my table saw, router table, scroll saw (though a jig saw would have worked if you have steady enough hands), hand planer, etc. Basically, I used just about ever tool in my shop except my bandsaw to make this one.

The best part about making clocks is that while you only really need one coffee table, two at the most, you can't really have too many clocks. ;)

Hopefully I'll be to the point where I can post some pictures of it. I'm trying to get it done before I leave town this weekend but I've still got to get the crown molding on and apply the finish. I might shoot some before pictures and post those though.

Anyways, a clock can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be and because of that, it's a great way to learn your tools and to learn the basics of woodworking. Just my $.02 worth.

Small boxes with trays, drawers, etc. can be challenging without taking up a lot of room. Candle holders, table centerpieces, small wall cabinets, mud room benches, umbrella stands . . . . I would go to the library and get a book on small woodworking projects too.

Hi Dan and welcome to the family.

coffee table, two at the most, you can't really have too many clocks. ;)

Ive never felt that way about outdoor furniture, could never have enough.
Theres not too much furniture in this picture Dan, I just need to buy a bigger house with a bigger yard.

You can build anything and make it as complex as you want or as easy as you want.
You can build a box to hold someones keys or change, and if you use 2 exotic contrasting woods, and hand cut dovetails, now thats intricate work, and although its a small little box, its still a work of art.
you can make an end grain cutting board out of some exotic wood, a gift that would be appreciated and challenging.

Attachments

• Tiki 325 (Medium).jpg
    Tiki 325 (Medium).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
Dan, first welcome to the Family. :wave:

For ideas, I would reccomend searching thru the post of the forum to get some ideas and also doing a google image search on woodworking projects or something similar...cutting boards, more shop storage/cabinets, boxes, etc....

On the other hand....ever used a wood lathe???

Look deep into the spinning wood, don't be afraid, you'll still want to do flatwork....just trust me....:wave::p:rofl::D:wave:

Welcome aboard, Dan. :wave: I'll second the suggestion for fancy boxes and clocks. They don't take up a lot of space, can be very challenging, and are appreciated as gifts (or merchandise to sell).

...On the other hand....ever used a wood lathe???

Look deep into the spinning wood, don't be afraid, you'll still want to do flatwork....just trust me....:wave::p:rofl::D:wave:

Now that's just cruel, Jeff. We should give poor ol' Dan a chance to get fully immersed in flatwork before we drag him (and his wallet) down into the Abyss with us. If we get him started on the lathe too soon, he'll think he wasted his money on all the flatwork tools. :D

(I was thinking the same as you, Jeff. The lathe is a good source of small projects.) ;)

Dan, first welcome to the Family. :wave:

For ideas, I would reccomend searching thru the post of the forum to get some ideas and also doing a google image search on woodworking projects or something similar...cutting boards, more shop storage/cabinets, boxes, etc....

Dan welcome also.
I looked into the spinning wood and i can leave any time i want.Trust me i can i can, i know i can,i just don't want to.:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::bonkers::rofl::rofl:
Steve

DAN dont listen to them guys they are all fatally afflicted with the spinny disease.. dont even go near a lathe unless you have extreme will power.. they are like pick pockets they steal your wallet and not just once but forever,, its a constant vortex just draining every spare dime you get.. and for what alot of wet wood chips flying all over for you to clean up and start all over again..

ok now that you have been truely warned here is a hearty welcome to the forum from a flat worker,, do not have spinny disease! i have got some good genes against it.. and as for a source to find projects try the subscription of woodsmith.. they have a wide range of projects each month..

Last edited by a moderator: