Page 1 of 235 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Organ build

Organ build

I was indeed fascinated with Jay's street organs.

So much so that I emailed John Smith regarding plans.

Now I need to decide whether to tackle the original Busker or the Senior. I am not clear exactly what the differences are.

Jay, or anybody else, did you build either or both? I know they are both 20-note organs, with the Senior weighing more. I'm assuming a bit more complexity, and maybe I'm wrong.

I have posed the questions to John, but his reply was a bit vague. There appears to be some assumed knowledge before going in. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

Also, he told me that he is handing off the sale of plans to his son on April 1, FWIW.

If anyone else is contemplating this, http://www.melright.com/busker/jsmenu.htm has tons of builder information, and I am sorting it out.

Also, looking for a little stuffed monkey with a cute little red hat.
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 03-12-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Good luck Carol. I saw Jay's organs and can tell ye, they are complexcated thingys, indeed. No doubt, the finished product is a labor of love. If/when you start this project pictures of the process would be fun, interesting and educational to see.

Good luck carol and i would suggest gettin back with jay, he definatly has it figured out lokin forward to seeing the whole process,, even if we have all had the cake before the main meal
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I am planning on visiting Jay around the end of May. The camera batteries will be charged.

And, yes, if I tackle this, I will document it.
    Last edited by Carol Reed; 03-13-2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: calendar challenged!

Alllllrrrrightttyyy Carol

That makes two people on here that are building Carol I will be here to help in every way I can when you start. As far as which to build I jumped in with the Senior 20 as it is a more robust organ and I feel it is no more or less complex than the Busker. It may even be easier as its not as compact and it opens to a lot of different ways of casing it up as you have seen in the picture site of Melvyn's.

I have a few things that will help in the build and am working on getting pictures for Dean. One is a pipe building board and another is how to build up the crankshaft with out having to weld it up. Anytime you get stumped I'm just a USA phone call away and I use Skype a lot so can call you and talk all day if you want.

To me the hardest thing to make work its the rewind and I have figured out how to make it work easer also.

Cant wait to see some work from both you and Dean.

Be sure to have someone there with a camera to take a picture of the silly grin on your face when it plays for the first time.

Jay

Oh Carol the differents between the two is the Busker is smaller and can be carried by a leather strap and hung around the neck while played and is a smaller organ with smaller pipes and a higher pitch. Hope that explains it OK
    Last edited by Jay Caughron; 03-13-2009 at 02:54 AM.

Hmm, maybe 3. Assuming the "Senior" model, clearly the plans are required and it looks like getting the "kit of essential parts" would be smart. Probably the wheels could be turned with a lathe (?). The empty spool? The crankshaft looks tough- maybe worth buying for a first timer?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    I am planning on visiting Jay around the end of May. The camera batteries will be charged.

And, yes, if I tackle this, I will document it.
    If either, or both of you, let me know the day, I might be able to swing by and do the picture thing. Plus, another FW visit is always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schultz View Post
    Hmm, maybe 3. Assuming the "Senior" model, clearly the plans are required and it looks like getting the "kit of essential parts" would be smart. Probably the wheels could be turned with a lathe (?). The empty spool? The crankshaft looks tough- maybe worth buying for a first timer?
    Charlie you for sure need the plans and the DVD and then the head scratching will start
    I am glad to help anyone build one of these and I also know which things are confusing on the plans and can send pictures as I have parts for these things all through the shop

If you have a descent drill press and know how to tap a hole I can show you how to build up a crankshaft with steel rod and aluminum that works great I like it better than the welded one. The hardest part to build is the tracker bar but just take your time and you can get it.

Don't forget to tell John I sent ya

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    If either, or both of you, let me know the day, I might be able to swing by and do the picture thing. Plus, another FW visit is always fun.
    Good Idea Frank that would be fun

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Jay, What is the cost to build one of the easier designs with the plans and DVD? Are we talking several hundreds?? I find these very fascinating and real would like to do one if the cost isn't too far out there!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.