I love the information gathering stage!

What about glockenspiels? Can they be added to a 20 note organ? What is different about the music rolls with regard to glockenspiels?

I was looking at toy chime instruments with the idea of cobbling together a glockenspiel. I saw one site with pictures but no building information, and the organ was big enough to need a cart.

But, hey, if one could add one later, that would be cool. The kicker is the music roll availability.

And Jay, didn't you say at one point you were building or considering building a roll puncher? Tell us more about that.

My homework reward system! Finish an assignment, get 15 minutes of web surfing.

Jay, one more question. What is the cost of a roll? You mention punching your own. What does that involve? Is it worth it? This is so fascinating to follow!

That varies as to how long the tune is and if you buy a spool each time with each roll they go from around $12.00 on up to $80 for some of the Christmas rolls.

You can punch your own from a master that you can make from MIDI files by using a 4mm hand punch if you want or you can make a CNC punch there are free program to edit the MIDI files so you can print them out or run your punch. There are also plans to build your CNC punch for sale just do a google search. You are only limited by your imagination as to what you can do. :thumb:

Jay :type:

I love the information gathering stage!

What about glockenspiels? Can they be added to a 20 note organ? What is different about the music rolls with regard to glockenspiels?

I was looking at toy chime instruments with the idea of cobbling together a glockenspiel. I saw one site with pictures but no building information, and the organ was big enough to need a cart.

But, hey, if one could add one later, that would be cool. The kicker is the music roll availability.

And Jay, didn't you say at one point you were building or considering building a roll puncher? Tell us more about that.

My homework reward system! Finish an assignment, get 15 minutes of web surfing.

I don't think you can get enough pressure to run a Glockenspiel on the Senior but John does sell a plan for the Universal 20 that has a Glock on it. BUT I would for sure build the Senior FIRST as the Universal is a lot more organ and requires a lot more time and work. Will try to post a new video of mine (a work in progress) to give you an idea.

Jay

Hi All! Jay has mentioned me and so I figured I should chime in here! I have gotten my plans and video from John for the 20. I've got some materials and will be starting my cutting soon!

If any of you are interested, I am going to be blogging the process at http://www.creativependesign.com/busker/

If there is truely going to be a bunch of us doing this for the first time, I can setup a private forum so we don't clog up this one with hundreds of emails.

Let me know!

Dean

...If there is truely going to be a bunch of us doing this for the first time, I can setup a private forum so we don't clog up this one with hundreds of emails.

Let me know!

Dean

That's a very generous offer Dean, but there's plenty of room here for all the organ builders out there. No worries about clogging this place up. Speaking for myself at least, I think it'd be fun to read along and watch the action, even if I'm not building one. If there's enough organ-related discussion, we can even add a subforum if that's what the members want. :)

That's a very generous offer Dean, but there's plenty of room here for all the organ builders out there. No worries about clogging this place up. Speaking for myself at least, I think it'd be fun to read along and watch the action, even if I'm not building one. If there's enough organ-related discussion, we can even add a subforum if that's what the members want. :)

Cool! I'm glad it won't be looked at as clogging things up.. If we do get 4 or 5 actually building these things, a sub-forum might be nice! I didn't mean to pull from the site, and whatever we do would want it to be a public place to read - I think this will be a cool thing to share (thus why I'm going to blog my first one).

Vaughn & Dean

Sounds like a plan. :thumb: I think we need both Deans Blog & FWW this forum I think will get more of the new people that join us here and the Blog form other that may not care about woodworking but just curious as to how its done.:thumb:

From what I know it looks like we are going to have 5 builds here on the FWW. This is Great it will make the builds a lot easier for everyone it was hard to get answers from the UK at times but only because of the time delay. John has done a Great job getting these to us and answering question but sometime you want to know the same day. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jay

Hey Jay, don't count my inthusieasim for starting one right now! Cathie informed me that until I get some of the things finished around the house I'm not going to build an organ!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Can't blame here too much as there is a few pieces of trim that needs to be installed, lanai rails that need paint, and a corner cabinet for the TV and DVD player yet to be built.....Then I get to play!:D I'll be watching and taking notes though. I'll start saving scraps of nice local woods like mango, ohia, jakaranda, norfolk pine, and anything else I can get my hands on! Gotta be purdy!

Hey Jay, don't count my inthusieasim for starting one right now! Cathie informed me that until I get some of the things finished around the house I'm not going to build an organ!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: Can't blame here too much as there is a few pieces of trim that needs to be installed, lanai rails that need paint, and a corner cabinet for the TV and DVD player yet to be built.....Then I get to play!:D I'll be watching and taking notes though. I'll start saving scraps of nice local woods like mango, ohia, jakaranda, norfolk pine, and anything else I can get my hands on! Gotta be purdy!

You'll get sucked in at some point :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jay

Well, I've officially begun.

The plans are on order. Now I know what Jay meant by ordering from overseas is a killer on the wallet.

And I am about halfway through the download of the help articles.

So I feel productive.

Jay, a question. How wide is the widest piece of the pipes? While I am still here in the MidWest and have nice wood available to me for far less than buying it from Arizona would be, I want to be shopping around for something suitable.

Well, I've officially begun.

The plans are on order. Now I know what Jay meant by ordering from overseas is a killer on the wallet.

And I am about halfway through the download of the help articles.

So I feel productive.

Jay, a question. How wide is the widest piece of the pipes? While I am still here in the MidWest and have nice wood available to me for far less than buying it from Arizona would be, I want to be shopping around for something suitable.

Carol I think the largest pipe will be something like 2 3/8 I alway use 1/8 Baltic on those as they are in the back and not really seen and they sound fine. But if you want I will give you enough Baltic to make the larger pipes when you come through here you wont hurt my stash much:rofl:

Thanks for the offer of wood, Jay. If you mean Baltic Birch plywood, I have a stash of that myself.

How thick?

Yes and its 1/8"

For the organ you will need some 1/4 and 1/8 and if you have it 1/2" but very little 1/2 maybe 2' or so about 6" wide or you can use solid wood just what ever you have on hand.

I need to get y'all some pictures of my pipe building jig on here and also of the crankshaft.

Jay