Don't use Titebond II or III it moves to much, if the GG you have is like this stuff then I wouldn't use it for the Organ.

Jay
Thats the critical answer... I'm pretty sure my GG is just like the II.

Funny thing is I have a bottle of the stuff you recommend, but I forgot to store it 'indoors'. It was in the garage, and I've heard extreme cold is very bad for these glues (when its in the bottle still). So.. Next trip to the hardware store means another bottle of glue since I don't want any risk!

Not that thats a bad thing... glues like pens - can never have too many/much :)

Thats the critical answer... I'm pretty sure my GG is just like the II.

Funny thing is I have a bottle of the stuff you recommend, but I forgot to store it 'indoors'. It was in the garage, and I've heard extreme cold is very bad for these glues (when its in the bottle still). So.. Next trip to the hardware store means another bottle of glue since I don't want any risk!

Not that thats a bad thing... glues like pens - can never have too many/much :)

Fresh glue is always good a 16 oz bottle will make a lot of organ parts. I will throw away glue if I have had it over a year as it gets to thick and face it its cheaper than having to reglue failed joints.

Jay

I do keep that in mind, Jay. It is a great site. I only look at the sites that seem relevant to the Busker grinder type organs. There is just too much other stuff in which to get bogged down.

The real reason I am doing this much research is that I don't get to start building until June, but I plan to hit the ground running. :D

I have a pretty good background for trying this. I love jigs, having invented a few along the way. I have more than a middling amount of experience working metals, plastics, leather, and a few other non-wood media. I've worked all the domestic hardwoods, some soft woods, and a few exotics.

I have saws, mills, drills sanders galore, and planers. virtually every portable power tools and a fair number of handtools, not to mention dozens and dozens of clamps. Also two mini lathes. Also the knowledge of how to use them all. I taught woodworking for 6 years and lectured on the road for another 6 years, all the while do customizing wood furniture design and building for over 20 years. I also wrote a book for which that I still receive royalty checks. ;)

All that and I haven't forgotten the value of thorough research. The nature of research is that often too much simply helps clarify the necessary. I maybe a babe, but I am not just a babe in the woods, so to speak. :rofl:

So as we banter here on the forum, I make notes, download tips and hints, and especially pictures.

As for glue, the original Titebond it is. Duly noted. And as for the pipe wood, would basswood work? I have the plywood, but I was thinking anything that takes this many hours, deserves something nicer than plywood. It may well be the only one I ever build. I think I can get it around here in sufficient thickness so I can rip quarter sawn pieces and air dry them. In Arizona that doesn't take long. :rolleyes:

SO if you think I am asking a lot of questions now, wait 'til the plans arrive. :type: :thumb: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes Carol Basswood will work great and I must say I cant wait until you come by and also cant wait to see your organ when done.

There is a Gentleman from the UK that has just joined our group here by the name of Peter Shirtcliffe and I believe he has built pipes from Basswood for his MIDI organ. Hopefully we will hear form him soon on here he's a very pleasant Gentleman to visit with.

Jay

Peter has asked me to post this for him
Jay

Peter Shirtcliffe
New Member Join Date: Mar 2009

The Group Organ Build

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I finally made it through the jungle to say Hello to the members of the Organ Group. I hope you all will not mind if I sit in on what I think will be a great experience for all of us under Jay's watchful eye.
I've been in the game for several years now but cannot recall any time when several people have got together to build an organ to the same set of Plans as you are with the John Smith Senior. A First, I am sure.
I shall watch with great interest as things progress.

Just one or two words of caution if I may. Please, Please stick to the letter of the Plans, particularly in respect of the Pipes and Bellows .Somewhere along the line, you are sure to have a better idea than John Smith!! If you do;make a careful note of the details
------then file it in your Plans Folder, for your Next Organ!!
It is imperative that you are all singing from the same Hymn Sheet , otherwise it will be difficult, if not impossible for Jay to solve your problem.

Enough for now, your first Street Organ should be like your First Kiss ------something you will never forget!!

Best Wishes to everyone from this side of the Pond

Welcome, Peter.

Glad you signed up for membership to FWW.

Please do not just monitor but join in the fray, from time to time.

While there may be just a handful building, far more are watching from the sidelines.

Hey, guys, share the popcorn, would ya!?! :lurk::lurk::lurk:

Also, I think Jay has that silly grin on his face, not just from the happiest music on earth, but also at the prospect of trying to give we first-timers some guidance. :D

Last edited:
Thanks Carol, I'm sure this project will be great fun for those taking part---- and who knows maybe some of the side liners will join in. Anyone can do it, just take your time and follow the Plans.
As I type this, my John Smith "Topsy" is by my side . All the visible pipes were made using Basswood for three sides and Pear wood for the fronts(this in an attempt to maximise the tonality). Store-Bought bog standard P.V.C. was used throughout.
We are not building a Sherman Tank here!

Met up with John Smith yesterday at our first Rally of the Organ Season, together with a whole bunch of others, many with J.S. home-built Organs. The standard of the wood-craft in some of them has to be seen to be believed. Beautiful !
Good Luck

Met up with John Smith yesterday at our first Rally of the Organ Season, together with a whole bunch of others, many with J.S. home-built Organs. The standard of the wood-craft in some of them has to be seen to be believed. Beautiful !
Good Luck

Glad you're here with us Peter! By chance, did you take any photos of those organs?? If so it would be great to see some of them!

Street Organ

Welcome Peter, Great that you have joined us here. I am looking forward to getting started, and with you and Jay here to guide us I think that we will all do just fine.
Chuck

"Store-Bought bog standard P.V.C" :huh:

Need some translation here. I read it as plastic pipe from Home Depot type store. :eek: Really?

Good news is the plans are on the way. Got an email from John yesterday. :type:

And I didn't miss Jay's metaphoric "pumped." Good one, Jay. :rofl:

Eight more weeks until graduation. A side-trip to Jay's on the way home and sawdust time! :thumb:

Oh, and if you did get some pictures of that gathering, Peter, send them along. We will help you post them. It's not hard. It is good to have a cheering section from the other side of the big pond. Its like having a connection with the mother ship. :wave:

"Store-Bought bog standard P.V.C" :huh:

Need some translation here. I read it as plastic pipe from Home Depot type store. :eek: Really?

Good news is the plans are on the way. Got an email from John yesterday. :type:

And I didn't miss Jay's metaphoric "pumped." Good one, Jay. :rofl:

Eight more weeks until graduation. A side-trip to Jay's on the way home and sawdust time! :thumb:

Oh, and if you did get some pictures of that gathering, Peter, send them along. We will help you post them. It's not hard. It is good to have a cheering section from the other side of the big pond. Its like having a connection with the mother ship. :wave:

He's right but the problem is our standard size pipe here is to small. But the good news is I have found a way around that problem by using 2 couplers glued together its a little heaver but it works. I do have mine working OK with the smaller pipe but you have to crank faster. :rofl:

Jay

Organ Build

Well I received my plans today and I can see from just scanning through them that there Will be questions asked. I believe that it is going to be a great project and will take some time to get it done. Let the fun begin!
Charles :D

Well guys and girls, I'm not an organ builder, and I've never built one, but just reading your posts makes me green of envy and I'm thinking seriously about building one myself, not inmediately though:(other priorities prevale) on the menatime I'll keep careful track of this thread so I can learn from all of you.

Thanks to all for sharing and posting.

Glad to hear that Charles I am working on photos for making a pipe right now and hope to have them posted soon. Building one pipe is a good place to start and maybe others will build one and get the bug too. When you master a pipe the rest of the organ will hummmmmm along :thumb:
Jay

Well guys and girls, I'm not an organ builder, and I've never built one, but just reading your posts makes me green of envy and I'm thinking seriously about building one myself, not inmediately though:(other priorities prevale) on the menatime I'll keep careful track of this thread so I can learn from all of you.

Thanks to all for sharing and posting.

Tony I never built one or was I around one until I built mine John made these plans for people like you and me. You can do it and I am here to help you succeed my friend. :D:D
Jay

Thanks Jay.

My first question is: When making a pipe, how do you tune it? Specially if one is musically deaf (or so I've been told).

Do you get the right tone by shortening the pipe? But to the right tone you compare it with what? A diapason?

Tony I use a electronic tuner to tune the pipes they are stopped pipes meaning there is a plug in the top that moves up and down to get the note needed the hardest part will be the voicing but I pretty sure you can do it if nothing else get some one that can give a listen while you adjust. Phil Radford has a youtube video on voicing you can watch it and it will give you a good idea of what to do.

Phil's pipe are much like the ones in a John Smith Organ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CPxaEfFhGI

Hope this helps

Jay