Jay,
I would be very interested in US punched JS 20er rolls, $80+ US is pretty steep for 4 minutes of music from the U.K., that's more that an 'O' roll!

Any details about prices, and songs?

Ira,
Cool tracker bar!

Jay,
I would be very interested in US punched JS 20er rolls, $80+ US is pretty steep for 4 minutes of music from the U.K., that's more that an 'O' roll!

Any details about prices, and songs?

Ira,
Cool tracker bar!

Gary so far I have 2 people wanting to know about rolls. I am waiting for the list of music from the guy but I know he is busy right now. He wants at lest 8 to 10 people to comment before he rebuilds his punch which with the cost involved I think that is only fair.

Will keep everyone informed as I find info but would like to hear from more people who will want rolls.

Jay

Jay I am getting ready to make the crank shaft and noticed that you used aluminum for the connecting rods? Or am I mistaken? I would like to get a better idea of how you made your connecting rods if you don't mind.
Charles

A quick update of the progress from this weekend. I don't have pictures of most items taken, but will do so tomorrow. I got the take-up spool manufactured, the lid lock down, and all the interlocking wheels done. The tracker bar is now mounted up as well. I think that at this point I am ready to start hooking up pipes!

One interesting change I made to the drawings John provides is with the idler wheel clutch. I designed a slightly different way to do this that I like better. See the pictures below.

The pictures were taken before the hole for the idler shaft was drilled in the middle solid block (made out of 2 layers of 3/4" baltic birch ply laminated together).

When the "Switch" is straight up the idler wheel is engaged, when the switch is pulled to the side the wheel is disengaged. It works pretty well but if I were to build it again, I would make it so that there was about 1mm more difference in the height of the idler shaft between the two states.

Attachments

• Mobile Photo Oct 10, 2009 18 45 05.jpg
    Mobile Photo Oct 10, 2009 18 45 05.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Mobile Photo Oct 10, 2009 18 45 30.jpg
    Mobile Photo Oct 10, 2009 18 45 30.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 79
Jay I am getting ready to make the crank shaft and noticed that you used aluminum for the connecting rods? Or am I mistaken? I would like to get a better idea of how you made your connecting rods if you don't mind.
Charles

Charles not sure why I missed this post but I will try to get some pictures of the crankshaft and how I built it up I can tell you it is 5/16" X 3/4" alum and easy to make ya need a good drill press tho.

Off to the shop :thumb:

Jay

Well Charles I didn't get it done as I wanted but here are some close up pictures and maybe this will help you get going.

PICT0032.JPG

This is just to show the top edge drill the hole to fit the screw head first then drill the hole to tap and tap the hole all the way through do this before cutting the slot so its a solid piece after tapping cut the slot and the drill the head side so the screw goes through without interference.
PICT0033.JPG

These are just some more picture to see the other sides.PICT0034.JPG PICT0035.JPG

Now if anyone wants I will make up a bunch of these as when I bought the alum I could only find it in an 8' length so I have plenty I can cut you blanks or make the block complete your chose

I have this set up in 2 organs and it works great with out a hitch.

Jay

Hi folks,
Here is a picture where you can see my crankshaft.
attachment.php
I made the throws from steel. (because I had it) I glued it together with loctite (not sure of the number, the red permanent kind) Then I drilled through each joint and drove in a dowel pin. Did the same on the 26 note. Still working fine.

By the way, there was an organ rally in Sutter Creek, CA last weekend.
I was there, and a buddy of mine that has built a busker and senior.
Check this out:

Huge new Raffin 31/100 (Not homemade):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIB7eSfiocQ

Wurlitzer 103:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB5wtf6yNBY

Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZWzjlofrIA

Large Bruder (From last year):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V0wrr0bodU

Plus a few stills:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfortunate_bystander/sets/72157622572727426

Good luck,
Bob

Nice stuff Bob Thanks for post this. Your 26 sounds great but you are like me I just cant seem to find the time to finish up the case been having to much fun playing it :D and now John has me talked into building a Topsy (so may pipes so little time:rofl:)

Jay

Jay,

Sign me up if I’m not one of the people on our list of interested people in local music rolls, especially if he plans to do a Christmas medley before Christmas, otherwise I’ll have to get that one from England. Would that be a commitment of ten rolls of one song per rolls, or several rolls with a total of ten songs?

Also, I’ll send you a check if you make me up a crank. This seems to be my hang up. If I get the crank, maybe I’ll stop spinning long enough to get her done. I should get her done before Christmas so I can entertain the family (about 14 lucky members) with Christmas organ music. As inquisitive as the 1 ½ year old grandson is, he would probably love to crank her up.

Bob,

Is the organ rally in Sutter Creek an annual rally? Wish I would have known about it ‘cause I’m only about an hour and a half from there. Do you belong to a left coast organ group?

It plays!

I got my organ to the point last night where it plays the high D note (and only the high D note) :) The rest of the pipes will now be put in to place quickly. It was really satisfying to hear the one pipe chirp appropriately as the music streamed across the reader. Unfortunately on the roll that I have, the High D is blown exactly 11 times, so it is not very exciting just yet, but as more pipes are added, it will be exponentially rewarding I am sure.

I did not have much time but did get 3 more pipes hooked up and playing, it actually plays small portions of the tune that are almost recognizable. My favorite part of a project is when it starts coming together!

Woot!

I am back on line! What a summer!

Zero progress on the organ build, but I am back in my house and with an assignment to stay in Arizona, so I can now dig out all my tools and set up shop.

I have not read all the posts but there is something about a crank from Jay and USA punched music rolls. Where do I sign up and what are the prices?

Good new for organ builders

Great news folks Ed Gaida has rebuilt his music roll punch just for us here. He has made a list of songs that he said sold the best and a couple of new ones. All of my roll came from Ed and are great. He punches music arranged by Melvyn Wright and a couple of others.

He was punching test rolls when I talked to him and that is one roll everyone SHOULD buy its not the same thing that came with your plans but a true test and set up roll you will be glad you have it when you start adjusting your pipe's.

He said he will try to beat others prices if he can and I know you will save on shipping.

Now this is not his main line of work so there might be some delay but most likely it will be short. I have dealt with Ed for 9 years and been very happy with his service.

Contact him here edgaida@sbcglobal.net and he will send you his list and prices he has some good deals right now and be sure you tell him you are from the FWW forum as he started doing this just for us so make sure you let him know.

Jay

p.s. The crankshaft part are done so contact me if you want to know more.:wave: