Today there was an envelope from UK on my mail box, and inside it there were mi set of plans plus the dvd! So now I have no excuse:( I might be slow on the making but I have to make it!!;):):D

Here's sort of where I'm at- got the bellows and reservoir cut out and did a prototype pipe (would you believe it started out as the low F?) :D. It is the D/C pipe and I was able to tune it, so there's hope. Let me know if you see any obvious errors...

Attachments

• DSC00104b.jpg
    DSC00104b.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 94
Looking good Charlie glad your test pipe worked too. I see you are using Oak it should look nice when done. Dont forget to seal the inside of your bellows and res real good before installing the bellows cloth but dont get any sealer where the cloth will attach or hinge areas as the glue will not stick DAMHINT:D
Jay

Last edited:
The only thing I can see is if you have something other than oak for the pipe fronts ( oak is pretty porous and open grain and might make it tough to voice) I would use it something with a tighter grain ( walnut, cherry ,hard or soft maple, etc)

Jay

What I do Charlie is use something like walnut or cherry ripped to 1/8" ( because I have a pile of it) for the bottom cap and the top, I cut to cover the front clear to top of pipes then trim the pipe to length after voicing is done. That way no plywood edges will show from the front of the organ this is done only on the pipes that will show.

If this is not clear I will post a picture for everyone.

One thing and I hope everyone that is building reads this when building the pipes DO NOT VOICE THE PIPES UNTIL THE ORGAN CAN SUPPLY THE AIR PRESSURE if you try to do this by blowing through them you will not get them all voice right you need to voice them to what ever the WG pressure of the organ is DAMHINT:doh::doh:

Jay

Organ Build

Charlie you are doing great so far, as far as concealing the plywood edges, how about a hardwood veneer? I don't know if it would add too much thickness as far as fitting everything together or not.
I have also been wondering if deerskin would make a good bellows material? How about it Jay?
Charles

Charlie you are doing great so far, as far as concealing the plywood edges, how about a hardwood veneer? I don't know if it would add too much thickness as far as fitting everything together or not.
I have also been wondering if deerskin would make a good bellows material? How about it Jay?
Charles

Not sure Charles you would just need a piece to see if you can blow through it very easy I think deer might be to porous they do use a lot of leather for bellows material but I haven't been able to afford any yet :D:D Would like to try it sometime. :thumb:

Jay

Finally had time to look at the DVD tonight. That certainly helps with the mental picture! Even more so do the pictures posted here!

Jay, what do you use for the bellows material? I read somewhere to use chamois, but where do you get it? The stuff in the auto parts store for washing the car is synthetic these days. At least the stuff I saw.

Finally had time to look at the DVD tonight. That certainly helps with the mental picture! Even more so do the pictures posted here!

Jay, what do you use for the bellows material? I read somewhere to use chamois, but where do you get it? The stuff in the auto parts store for washing the car is synthetic these days. At least the stuff I saw.

Carol the Chamois is just used for the plugs in the pipes. When you come by I will have some bellows cloth here for you and maybe some chamois I just by it from Wal-Marts. (the chamois)

I going to try to find a new supplier for the bellows cloth and will buy enough to share with everyone so you wont have to have a bunch of excess it will also make it cheaper for us all.

This is a great thread. Many-many views and almost 200 posts at this point.
A lot is being accomplished here. Jay is sharing, folks are learning and having fun, skills are being developed and, very importantly, a tradition is being preserved.

Jay,
Perfect, thanks. A couple other questions- on the metal piece that goes under the bottom bellows (that attaches to the connecting rod)- it needs reinforcement inside the bellows, no? I see it's 2.5" long and is 3/4" a good width?

Jay,
Perfect, thanks. A couple other questions- on the metal piece that goes under the bottom bellows (that attaches to the connecting rod)- it needs reinforcement inside the bellows, no? I see it's 2.5" long and is 3/4" a good width?

Yes thats right Charlie and those dimensions should work fine. But try to find a metal strip heaver than the 1mm as its to light ( my first one broke) and I also us a rubber grommet on the metal strip to connect the connecting rod to will get picture as soon as I can.
Jay

Metal tap with grommet

I cant remember what size grommet this is but it fits a #6x1" screw drill a hole for the grommet that is a good snug fit and use a washer top and bottom that is larger the the grommet hole. This works great as it allows the connecting rod to move so it wont break from fatigue.

rubber grommet.jpg