A couple of questions for those who have gone before ---

1) I'm ready to build the take-up spool, and there have been several posts about the required diameter of the spool, and the inability to get 68mm pipe here in the U.S. I have a piece of pipe that I want to use that comes to 60mm -- a little smaller than recommended. Has anyone use pipe for the spool that is a little smaller than 68mm, and did it substantially change the relationship between crank speed, bellows air, etc. In essence, will I get into trouble if I use my little bit smaller pipe for the spool?

2) I can't find much on the idler shaft, and how it is secured to the pressure box. Can anybody point me to a photo that shows some idler shaft detail?

Thanks for your help.

Here is a picture of mine. My organ is sitting on it's top right now. Very simple, one screw so it will pivot.

As for the take up spool, I used a piece of PVC that was as close to 68mm as I could find. I is a little smaller than the 68mm, if I remember is was like 64mm. The is a can for lemonade mix or something that is suppost to be just the correct size. Tom Baugues' postings or email him. I'm sure he used it.

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, Bob and Paul. As usual, your input is very useful.

Ii looks like securing the idler rod is fairly straightforward. I will go back to John's video and see if I can figure out the locking mechanism to engage and disengage the idler wheel -- can't find anything on that in the plans.

Page 16, lower right corner. It is a nail going up through the shaft and the clutch latch fits down over it. You drill a small hole into the bottom of the latch that the nail goes into or the latch goes down over. Hope this is what you are talking about.

Why do I have so much time on the computer? I'm waiting for paint to dry! See my post "Valspar R-A-N-T!"

Thanks, Paul. I must be missing something. I've looked over page 16 again, and I've found the Idler Screw, with the 2mm wire extension soldered on, but can't figure how the screw is used. I'm sure somewhere in all the Senior 20 posts I've seen some sort of wooden stepping mechanism, where you push the idler control over and it pops up, or the other way and it pushes down, to disengage the idle wheel. I can't figure how that mechanism fits in with the Idler Screw on page 16.

I know it will come eventually, like all the other stuff in the "plans", but it's my current mystery :bonkers:

This is what I am talking about on page 16. It is the only thing on that page on my plans that pertains to the idler/idler clutch setup. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking. The other photo is had it looks in the box. I don't know who to give credit to for the picture, it is one I saved off this forum.

Sorry if I am just adding confusion. Others will step up soon and have the answer(s).

Attachments

• IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 26
Paul, you the man. Thanks for taking the time to send the sketch. I finally found it on page 22, amongst a bunch of stuff for the conductor. I'm not doing a conductor, so I guess I glossed over those pages too quickly. It is just what I need to go ahead a get my pressure box done.

Appreciate your help.

John you are getting some good help on here way to go guys.:thumb: They are right about the takeup spool tube I use the PVC I tried one of the Crystal Lite cans and it is real cheap looking setup I didnt like it at all. The pipe being just a little smaller wont be a problem and you wont notice the difference in cranking speed at all.
The reason your Res end blew out is because you dont have the spill valve set up once that is set to the right height it wont happen again. Everything is Looken good so far John, yer do-n fine. :thumb::thumb:

Well darn, I told my wife about the Sutter Creek Organ thingy and she said we already had reservation elsewhere that week! I had forgotten I asked her to do that earlier this year. Oh, well,next year. Maybe I will have to organs to take by then!

HA! HA! First post on page 200!!!

Thanks Jay. It's good to have a piece of the organ done.

Today was pressure box day. I've gotten most everything together, and it seems strong and square. I was worried a little at first using the recommended 1/4" ply, but with all the supports and various pieces glued together, it feels plenty strong.
PB 2.jpgPB 3.jpgPB 4.jpgPB 5.jpg

Tomorrow I think I'll try to work on the take-up spool, using my 2" PVC pipe. Hope it goes well.

John, I think the wood going along the sides, the 1/2" x 5/16" go all the way along the sides to the ends of the box. The spool support attach in front of them. The hard wood stripes are what the weather stripping presses against to seal the box when the lid is closed. You might want to check that in the plans again. If I am correct you could still add pieces to fill in.

I didn't they felt plenty sturdy when I just screwed to the hardwood piece. Yours is an easy fix if they are screwed in, just glue in a piece to go to the end then put the supports back in. When I looked at that last night and compared it with the plans, I found I did NOT make a mistake I thought I had. When I received my test spool and tried to put it in, but it would not go in because of the hardwood piece. I thought I had measured something wrong and was too narrow at that spot, but couldn't figure what, everything else fit correctly. I almost cut the spool to fit, but then I thought, no I would have to do that on every spool I get. So, I filed a notch in the hardwood strip at the point. Looking at the plans I see there is a notch there! Missed it when I built the box. I feel better now.

John, your build looks like it is coming along nicely.
Paul, I can remember being at the point where you are now. Lots of little things to do to get it all to come together. Just takes time. One step at a time. It will all be worth it for both of you.

YOu are correct Tom, a million little things... That's okay, I really hate to finish. Be a little while before I can start another. By the way, my organ is sitting all disassembled, waiting for the paint to dry on the new sides I made:(.

I received my plans for the Walter Hoffle Crank Organ today (to add to my collection). Needless to say there is a little difference in the quality of the plans. I'm not complaining about John Smith's, I kinda have enjoyed the challenge of his little bit rustic plans, but I'd like to take John's plan and redo them for him. I think I could have produced a set comparable to the Hoffle ones.

HA! HA! HAAAA! First post on page 200 and then the 2000th post all in one day. I'm off to buy some lotto tickets, must be my day!!!:beer::highfive::woot::woot:

Last edited: