OK, I got to thinking that the pile of shame in the corner deserved some recognition. One has to be philosophical about the intermediate steps in building, and accept (as Paul says) some number of "prototypes". This is my pile of off-casts and imperfections that serve to remind me that if you make no mistakes, you're not doing anything.
12. Pile of shame.jpg

Last edited:
OK, I got to thinking that the pile of shame in the corner deserved some recognition. One has to be philosophical about the intermediate steps in building, and accept (as Paul says) some number of "prototypes". This is my pile of off-casts and imperfections that serve to remind me that if you make no mistakes, you're not doing anything.
View attachment 75487

That's it?! That's all you have?! Where's the ruined bellows cloth, the discarded sides, discarded bellow bottoms with the holes wrong? My piles much bigger than your pile....!

You organ is simply moving right along. Took me about 4 months to get to where you are. Looks great.

Paul what are you talking about It took me two years to get where he is now and I'm still not going to finish before him. Looks good John great work thus far.

Don't laugh, Jay, that is what I am waiting on with the Universal. You and Tom go ahead so I can learn from any problems you guys have. Coarse you have already built on right? Then on the other had, look how many went ahead of me on the Senior 20 and I still made all those mistakes!!!!!!!!!!!:doh::( But, hey, I have fun!

Ok, I'll play along......here is my pile of parts from my Senior 20 build. Couple extra bellows, reservoir lid, pipe stock.....all cut to wrong size. Stacked nice and neat up on a shelf until.....further notice.
I think I'll paint my Universal all black (think Stealth) so no one can see my mistakes. Ill probably not use Valspar paint though. :eek: Sorry bout that Paul!

spare parts.jpg

Jay (or anybody else),
I've built three pipes, and they seem to be coming out alright. I was looking through your old posts on pipe making (123, 24, etc.), and you show a picture of the four sides glued together, with the bottom and languid glued in.

My question -- the plans seem to call for the languid piece to be installed with its top surface 3/4 inch from the bottom. When you account 1/8 for the bottom piece, 1/8 for the languid, that's 1/4 off the 3/4 space I started with. Net, the little "compartment" where the air inlet hole is drilled is just barely big enough to accept the 9mm hose hole called for in the plans. In the photo in your post, it looks like there is a lot more room in that compartment.

Am I right to go ahead and use the plan specifications, and assume that the tiny space is right?

Thanks.

One more question on pipes ---
I have found that the 5mm spacer on the little bottom cap piece is critical, but has anyone found any difference if the bevel on the top sliding cap that you use for voicing is 70 degrees, or 60 or 80? I've just been doing them by hand, by guess, and wondered if anyone has found an ideal angle.

Thanks.

John you will be fine using what is shown in the plans for the pipe BUT drill your hole to fit the tubing you have not what John says to drill. The US hose will be a different size.

The most critical thing is the .5mm shim the bevel is not that important in fact I cut mine at 45 degrees on the chop saw and they work just fine.

Right or wrong I glued a 1/4 ply block to the back and epoxied in the thin wall tubing to connect the tubing to. On some, when it came time to mount them I had to make a joint, thin wall tubing from the back of the pipe into a little block of wood and thin wall pipe coming out of the little block at 90'. If you haven't already, get your tubing from Jay. I bought the clear plastic stuff, because I didn't know Jay had the better flexible stuff. I then ordered for Jay. It was cheaper and better, so add a pile of short pieces of clear plastic tubing to my stack of goof up!;)

If Paul had known you could just poke that rubber tubing in those little holes, that is exactly what I would have done!

I was afraid of kinks in some places. I made, I think 6 of those little junction boxes. Some where I saw a nice little home made thin wall tube bender. I was going to make one and give it a try.

Last edited: