Going to be gone all week

Hey folks I am going to be gone the rest of the week I have to go to Detroit Lakes MN to move some dogs around if you run into a problem then maybe Peter can answer it for you. I will check in if I get a chance.
Will be gone from 4-7- to 4-11 see ya all when I get back. :wave:
Jay

Oh boy, I think I caught the Happy Face Disease :D. I have been following this thread since it started and read Jay’s original posts, and grinned like a fool when I heard the music. My “shop” (my half of the garage) is set up enough to where I am making sawdust. This is something that I can do. But I have a few questions.

I understand that the Busker is light enough to carry with a strap but that the Senior 20 is heavier and requires a cart. Is the Senior 20 light enough for one person to lift out of a truck/car and place on the cart? What is the approximate weight? I think I am interested in the Senior 20.

When sending for the plans to John, does he accept credit cards, checks on American banks or do you have to convert US dollars to English pounds and how do you send that?

When sending for the plans to John, does he accept credit cards, checks on American banks or do you have to convert US dollars to English pounds and how do you send that?

I paid in Euros via PayPal, but he may do it different for US. What I did was send an e-mail to him mentioning this forum and ask about the different options including shipping.
I got the answer the following morning, as far as I know he checks his mail every morning.

Oh boy, I think I caught the Happy Face Disease :D. I have been following this thread since it started and read Jay’s original posts, and grinned like a fool when I heard the music. My “shop” (my half of the garage) is set up enough to where I am making sawdust. This is something that I can do. But I have a few questions.

I understand that the Busker is light enough to carry with a strap but that the Senior 20 is heavier and requires a cart. Is the Senior 20 light enough for one person to lift out of a truck/car and place on the cart? What is the approximate weight? I think I am interested in the Senior 20.

I don't know the weight, but I'm pretty sure you can pick it up - there is handles on the plans on the sides and from the size/dimensions and seeing video I have to believe that you can pick it up.

As for plans, John took paypal in USD for me... If you don't have a paypal account, you should still be able to pay via paypal with CC.

Welcome to the madness!

Email John. I think he prefers PayPal with the credit card option which anyone can do from anywhere in the world. They will do the conversion for you.

Welcome to club, as they say. Jay will be thrilled. So are we. Happy Face disease in deed! :thumb: :wave: :D

Thank you all for your replies. I’ll email John and see what we can set up. PayPal screwed up my account when I moved and changed email addresses

Organ Build

Chuck it will bee great to have you in the group, and I am looking forward to having a lot of fun with this as are all the others, As Carol said Jay will be happy to see you are joining the build. If I am not mistaken, I read somewhere that the Senior 20 weighs about 20 to 25 pounds. so it will be able to be lifted with no problem.I would think it would depend on the material that you use to build it.
Charles

Thank you for your welcome, Charles. I should be able to throw 25 pounds around easily.

I’ve sent an e-mail to John Smith to buy his Senior 20 plans and DVD.

I realize that Jay is away for the week, but if someone could tell me how many board feet of wood the pipes (20 pipe organ) use? Has anyone considered or used Sitka Spruce for the box portion of the pipes? The harmonic tops of Stradivarius violins and acoustic guitars are made of Spruce because of their tonal qualities, so, like raising children, I figure I would give the pipes every chance to succeed in what they are designed to do. Allegedly, Sitka improves with age.

It is my understanding that the only hard wood that is essential is the upper lip, or should the front of the pipe, the part to which the upper lip is attached, be hardwood also? I was considering Rosewood for the upper lip, both for tonal qualities and for the color contrast against the spruce.

I see the pipe box construction is butt jointed. As long as the inside dimension is properly maintained, does anyone see a problem with mitering the edges to improve the aesthetics? I may be making this more difficult that I need to, but this may be the only one I make and I want it to look, as well as sound, very pleasing.

Thank you.

Thank you for your welcome, Charles. I should be able to throw 25 pounds around easily.

I’ve sent an e-mail to John Smith to buy his Senior 20 plans and DVD.

I realize that Jay is away for the week, but if someone could tell me how many board feet of wood the pipes (20 pipe organ) use? Has anyone considered or used Sitka Spruce for the box portion of the pipes? The harmonic tops of Stradivarius violins and acoustic guitars are made of Spruce because of their tonal qualities, so, like raising children, I figure I would give the pipes every chance to succeed in what they are designed to do. Allegedly, Sitka improves with age.

It is my understanding that the only hard wood that is essential is the upper lip, or should the front of the pipe, the part to which the upper lip is attached, be hardwood also? I was considering Rosewood for the upper lip, both for tonal qualities and for the color contrast against the spruce.

I see the pipe box construction is butt jointed. As long as the inside dimension is properly maintained, does anyone see a problem with mitering the edges to improve the aesthetics? I may be making this more difficult that I need to, but this may be the only one I make and I want it to look, as well as sound, very pleasing.

Thank you.

Chuck welcome aboard! The only comment I would like to make (as I not even a beginner yet) Is keep it simple. Mitered corners will be a bugger to put together and maintain the uniformity need in the pipes. (this is an assumption on my part). Also from what I can see in the YouTube videos, you can't see anything but the fronts of the pipes from outside the box anyway. Making it pretty is great but if you try to make it difficult or over build it you may loose interest in the project and not finish it.

Just some ramblings.

. Making it pretty is great but if you try to make it difficult or over build it you may loose interest in the project and not finish it.
Apart from agreeing to what Royall says I would add on top of that, that I think that you'll be surprised when you watch the video and and see how "unfinished" the pieces that John made are.

As far as mitering the corners of the pipes I think it would be overkill, I'd rather go for some other type of joint that you could make easily on a router for instance and that would be more airtight than a miter.

I can only talk from what I've seen here and from what I've seen on the video as it will be my first organ ever and I'm as newbbie as everybody else ( apart from Jay, of course)

Toni, you and Royall are probably right – KISS - keep it simple stupid. I should probably build it as the plans suggest and experiment on a later version.

Keep it simple

I would urge you all to stick to my method of pipe construction, materials used are where you can use you own choice. I would imagine that for a woodworker, building a small organ is the ideal way to use some of those very special pieces of wood you have been saving perhaps like me for 50 years. My preferred method of changing the apperance is to simply apply a veneer to the fronts of the pipes before varnishing. Regarding the weight of the Senior it should be around 20 Lbs 10 kgs. From the very start one of my main design requirements has been to make light weight organs as I have seen so many old people struggle with some of the traditionally built ones. Lets face it we do not have to trundle them down cobbled streets anymore, well not yet anyway !
As for the rough finish to the parts of my organs I can only say that I expect to see better from all of you. When I made the Senior my woodworking skills were very basic but it must be reasurring to know that even built like this the organ still produces lovely music.
Keep smiling
John Smith

Another one bites the lure!
So far we are:

Carol
Charles
Charlie
Chuck
Dean
Drew
Jay
Royall
Myself
I hope not the be missing anyone, if so please update the list at will.