Pipe construction

Hi there.

I do not know how far are you in your building but I started to prepare stock and I find something odd. The sizes of the pipes stated in the plans are comparatively rather small compared to the pipes that we see on the video and on the organ itself.

It caught my attention that for instance the pipe for the D & C, ( first row on the plan) has 11 x 14.5mm inner measures that make 21 x 24.5mm external measures if we use 5mm thick wood. That looks pretty thin compared to the pipes I see on the video, is it that my eyes are cheating me or what?

I do not think that there is any error on the plans but when I look at the pipes on the video they look almost of the same widht all.

Hi Tony, I don't have the plans in front of me but I thought the pipes were all made out of 1/8" stock? That's what, 3mm? You are way ahead of me as I don't have the time to start for a while. Heck I haven't even looked at the DVD yet:eek:

We do have just about every way to spell Charles! I think the only one left is Chas.

Carol should chime in here maybe as it think she's been studding the plans for a bit longer than me.

Ah, gees, Tony.

I've been looking at pictures. Does that count for studying? :rofl:

Seriously I am 5 weeks from graduation. I am buried in final papers and stuff. I look at pictures to get some relief!

However, the pipe stock is indeed 1/8" thick, per Jay.

Hi everyone I made it home glad that trip is over with.

I see we got another one Glad to have you Chuck you are going to have fun now:rofl:.

The question on the pipes Yes Sitka Spruce would work great I would use it if I could find it cheap enough. I bought a piece of 8/4 Radiata Pine that was about 6 bf and made over 70 pipes with it and still have some 1/8" stock left so my guess is 3 bf and that should give you enough for any mistakes:rolleyes:
Don't wast you time trying to miter the joint just do as John said and follow the plans I'm here to help when you have trouble figuring them out. The edges of the pipes will not show when you have the pipes installed in the organ.
Will get a photo of front of organ today so you all can see what I mean.:thumb:

Toni you need to use 3mm not 5mm for the pipes 5mm will just make to organ heavy and there is no advantage to that.
Then again maybe you just need some new reading glasses now that you are the big 50 to read the plans:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those are some great question Chuck and Toni keepem coming as I know the other folk have the same questions and need answers too :huh:

My mind is kind of numb (I said NUMB) after the trip so will go back and reread the posts that came while I was gone to see if I missed anything

Again Welcome aboard Chuck:wave::wave::wave:

Jay

Well, then I better get 6 bf:bang:

Thanks for the welcome, Jay.

I noticed John sends out his orders on Mondays. I didn’t get my order to him until about 3 pm Sunday his time, so I may have missed this Monday’s mailing.

Chuck, If you ordered today John will have them out to you on Monday. You can count on that! It took a long time for mine to get to me but I'm on the other side of the world from him. He is a wonderful person to do business with and will keep you posted to when he gets the package posted.

Toni you need to use 3mm not 5mm for the pipes 5mm will just make to organ heavy and there is no advantage to that.
Then again maybe you just need some new reading glasses now that you are the big 50 to read the plans:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Jay

May be it is that, but more to my favour, that pipe (D-C) will measure 15mm x 20.5mm (0.59" x 0.8") exteriorly with a 3mm thick walls, none of the pipes I see on the video or on the organ look that slim. Am I going nuts?

This is turning into one of the most fun threads to follow, Tom

Tom, that is – until I start building, then you better plug the ears of all women and children and send the dogs to the back room.:bonkers:

Jay, nice looking organ. Are your cabinet walls hardwood or ply? How thick? Does George move?

I like the idea of one thread so we don’t have to search and jump around. But I’m the NuB and don’t even have my plans yet.

Tom, that is – until I start building, then you better plug the ears of all women and children and send the dogs to the back room.:bonkers:

Jay, nice looking organ. Are your cabinet walls hardwood or ply? How thick? Does George move?

I like the idea of one thread so we don’t have to search and jump around. But I’m the NuB and don’t even have my plans yet.

Thanks Chuck
The case is 1/4" Baltic Birch stained on one painted on the other. And George is just setting there for now will work on making him move when I can.:D

Your input is just a good as anyone else so suggest away.

Would like to hear from those not building but watching what is your take on where to post everyones progress????:dunno:

Jay

This thread lurker says keep it here, I am enjoying following THIS thread, making separate will pull away from the comorodity of this multi-great build :D
Just IMO :wave: