Still waiting on the plans Jay. Hopefully this week. Really enjoying reading all the posts and the excitment this has generated. Looking forward to seeing everyones organs ( ok that sounds just bad) :rofl::rofl::rofl: You know what I mean:thumb::thumb:

Yeah, post them pictures! That way I'll have something to look at, at o'dark thirty in the morning, when I wake up thinking about how I’m gonna build this thing, and can’t get back to sleep.:mad: Good thing I’m retired so I can sneak back to bed when The Bride leaves for work.:zzz:

It’s in the mail!:thumb: For those of you that live in the US, how long did it take for you to get your plans from across the pond?

Drew, this is like when I was a kid and Dad was going to take me fishing. Didn’t get a lot of sleep the night before.

Do I understand correctly that the plans are in metric? If so, I guess I’ll have to buy a new table saw, planer, jointer, etc., because mine are all in inches.:rofl:

Last edited:
Chuck,
Mine took a week, but they came from Peter Hood at Rollcutter (also in the UK). The plans contain a mix of english and metric dimensions so you'll need two sets of tools :).

Jay,
For the 0.5mm spacer at the bottom of the pipes, is it ok to just go ahead and glue that on as we build them (as opposed to rubber banding them)? I did not see any discussion about adjustments in that area. Also, I've found that a couple of playing cards is pretty darn close to 0.5 mm- what works for you?

Hey Toni I believe we have enough folks voting for here so I think here well stay.:D

If you have some pictures of your start then post away we want to see them ;)

Anybody else got anything how about you Dean??? :wave:

Jay

Soon! Its warm enough that I'm setting up my 'bigger' shop. I'm limited to basement or garage. I've had the turning tools setup in the basement for the winter, but not the TS. So now the car gets kicked out of the garage and I'll be setting up shop. I have an art show in 2 weeks that I'm trying to finish up pens for.

After that, the flatwork projects are going to get kicked up.

For those of you that like baked beans, the carton that an 8 pack of Bush’s Baked Beans comes in is 0.52mm.

Jay, looking at your organ front picture with Curious George, is the side of the large pipe on the left walnut also or did you stain/dye to match the walnut front?

Last edited:
Chuck,
Mine took a week, but they came from Peter Hood at Rollcutter (also in the UK). The plans contain a mix of english and metric dimensions so you'll need two sets of tools :).

Jay,
For the 0.5mm spacer at the bottom of the pipes, is it OK to just go ahead and glue that on as we build them (as opposed to rubber banding them)? I did not see any discussion about adjustments in that area. Also, I've found that a couple of playing cards is pretty darn close to 0.5 mm- what works for you?

Charlie I use pop carton's for that. I lightly sand the slick side to get a better glue bond you would have to sand both side of a card so make sure its not to far under .5mm this is a place when you don't have much fudge factor I have used .45mm to .55mm with no problem.

You can go ahead and glue on the bottom with the cardboard make sure there is no sanding fuzz or anything inside. OH and don't forget to drill your supply hole BEFORE gluing the cap on other wise you will have a lot of tear out inside the hole. DAMHINT :D:D

Chuck
It takes a week to 10 day and its a LOOOOONNGGGGG week:rofl:

Jay

For those of you that like baked beans, the carton that an 8 pack of Bush’s Baked Beans comes in is 0.52mm.

Jay, looking at your organ front picture with Curious George, is the side of the large pipe on the left walnut also or did you stain/dye to match the walnut front?

That would be perfect Chuck

The pipes on that one just have Walnut fronts and the rest made of pine with no stain just clear finish but you can stain it if you want (on the outside) without causing any problems.

Thanks for the info, Jay. I wish I had looked into this last year, I could have stopped by to see your work. Another of my hobbies is genealogy, and last July, I made an ancestry quest (5,500 miles), driving from CA to a family reunion in NE, then stops in IA, IL, then Concordia and Alma MO, just north of you. My 2nd Great Grandfather, Johann Rodekohr, settled in Concordia in 1847. When I was back there, I visited with relatives still living there and saw the original homestead property, on Rodekohr Road.

Progress!

My tuner arrived today. :thumb:

I had a monkey all picked out and now it is on back order! Arrrgggg. :doh:

I've decided on alder for the pipes. I have a bunch. So that works. :)

Still deciding on the species for the pipe fronts. I have cherry and walnut in stock. Even a little maple. I also have some BB ply (the real stuff, not the Chinese stuff.) in several thicknesses. Slowly things are being gathered. Estimated launch date is around the beginning of June. Gotta graduate first. :wave:

Progress!

My tuner arrived today. :thumb:

I had a monkey all picked out and now it is on back order! Arrrgggg. :doh:

I've decided on alder for the pipes. I have a bunch. So that works. :)

Still deciding on the species for the pipe fronts. I have cherry and walnut in stock. Even a little maple. I also have some BB ply (the real stuff, not the Chinese stuff.) in several thicknesses. Slowly things are being gathered. Estimated launch date is around the beginning of June. Gotta graduate first. :wave:

Exciting!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Cherry or Walnut will look great those are the ones I pick all the time.

Good luck with finials :thumb:

Jay

Its the Korg CA-30. Through Amazon for $12.21. Don't how that goofy number got there, but I am looking at the slip that came with the tuner. I rolled it into a book order as well, went over the $25 limit and got free shipping. Ordered on March 28, got it today, but a few days of that was the Easter break here and no mail delivery almost a week.

Thank you, Carol. I’ve looked at that one before, read the reviews and liked it. I just went on line and I got the CA-30 for $12.21 plus $6.17 shipping, for a total of $18.39. It is $32.00 at my local music store. THANKS!

I like the small try square that Jay is using in his pipe build pictures, so I picked up a 3” try square today as well as a metric tape measure. I have a good 38 mm steel ruler and my digital calipers do both inches and metric, so I’m set for measuring. I’d like to use curly maple for the pipe fronts and rosewood for the top and bottom caps and mouth piece, but my local Woodcraft was out of the 1/8”. I’ll camp out next Tuesday afternoon when their restocking delivery arrives. Tomorrow, I’m going to run over to the big lumber yard to get some 8/4 X 5” X 5’ Sitka Spruce for the pipe backs and sides. I’ll re-saw and plane the spruce down to 1/8”.

Thank you, Carol. I’ve looked at that one before, read the reviews and liked it. I just went on line and I got the CA-30 for $12.21 plus $6.17 shipping, for a total of $18.39. It is $32.00 at my local music store. THANKS!

I like the small try square that Jay is using in his pipe build pictures, so I picked up a 3” try square today as well as a metric tape measure. I have a good 38 mm steel ruler and my digital calipers do both inches and metric, so I’m set for measuring. I’d like to use curly maple for the pipe fronts and rosewood for the top and bottom caps and mouth piece, but my local Woodcraft was out of the 1/8”. I’ll camp out next Tuesday afternoon when their restocking delivery arrives. Tomorrow, I’m going to run over to the big lumber yard to get some 8/4 X 5” X 5’ Sitka Spruce for the pipe backs and sides. I’ll re-saw and plane the spruce down to 1/8”.

You will find that the 3" square and digital calipers are your best friends :thumb::thumb:

Jay

Drew, it looks like it took about 2 weeks for your plans to arrive. At least you will have plenty of time to “review” them. Mine were posted today so they should be here about the 29th, just in time for my knee replacement surgery which, today, was moved up from August to April 29th. So I guess I’ll get my first look at them in a drug induced stupor. This organ might turn out very interesting! :p:eek::eek::eek::rofl::huh::zzz::doh: