That helps perfectly. Everybody has emphasized so much that air leaks are bad, I guess I am just a little sensitive! I guess by being so careful everywhere else, I can afford to loose a little here.

I have not started the pressure box yet, I am still digesting the plans and verifying that I understand what I am doing (hence the many many questions.) So the pictures I posted are my progress to date.

I will start cutting the wood tonight I think.

Hopefully tomorrow my piano wire will arrive and I can finish the air engine.

Ira,

I made a trial and error pressure box and, because it was mostly errors, I hung it over my table saw as a reminder and started over again.:doh: The first one took me a week to figure out and screw it up, and only a day to do the second one correctly . . . I think.:huh:

I did spiny things today, didn’t work on the organ.

I am making some progress on the pressure box, but have hit a little bit of a wall. I can't find instructions on how thick the material to make the feeder spindle supports. I am assuming 1/4" based on the approximate relative size to other things in the drawing but am not sure. They appear to connect only to the top with a single screw, is this also correct?

I will order a music scroll and spool tomorrow, but it will take a while to get here. Can anybody provide the basic dimensions of the spool itself so that I can make some check measurements to avoid having to stop work?

I am making some progress on the pressure box, but have hit a little bit of a wall. I can't find instructions on how thick the material to make the feeder spindle supports. I am assuming 1/4" based on the approximate relative size to other things in the drawing but am not sure. They appear to connect only to the top with a single screw, is this also correct?

I will order a music scroll and spool tomorrow, but it will take a while to get here. Can anybody provide the basic dimensions of the spool itself so that I can make some check measurements to avoid having to stop work?

Ira yes 1/4" will work fine I use Baltic birch and attached with 2 screws. Cut the slot as per the drawing. There is also a hint on Melvin Wrights site about using the spring in a VHS tape you might check it out.
Jay

Is there room for another????

Greetings all,

I found your group through Jay's Youtube posting. Looks like this may be a good next project for me. I have built and/or restored an airplane or two or three or four, but have never worked much with wood. So I guess it's about time I learned. I have sent Mr Smith an email about purchasing the plans and figured I'd introduce myself.

All the best,

Tim

Fort Worth, Texas

Greetings all,

I found your group through Jay's Youtube posting. Looks like this may be a good next project for me. I have built and/or restored an airplane or two or three or four, but have never worked much with wood. So I guess it's about time I learned. I have sent Mr Smith an email about purchasing the plans and figured I'd introduce myself.

Tim

Fort Worth, Texas

Welcome Tim glad you hunted us up. What kind of Aircraft have you done?
I was working as an A&P when I got injured my other hobby is Experimental Aircraft. Great to have you here. :wave:

Jay

Nice to have you Tim, you have found a great resource here. Have fun with the build, and make sure you really understand the plans before building. John's plans are great, but they are a little light in a couple of areas, fortunately for you and me there are others in this group that have completed this and are willing to spread their knowledge.

Bandsaw Info

Thanks Ira for the welcome...

The plans have been ordered and I'm off to find a bandsaw. Any things I need watch out for???

Money is a factor so top of the line is out of the question. I just don't want to go so cheap that I regret it later.

Thoughts/ideas????

Thanks

Tim,

Welcome to the Organ build forum.:wave: I have a Powermatic PWBS-14CS 14” bandsaw, for $1K http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005243/20930/Powermatic-14-Bandsaw--Model-PWBS-14CS.aspx

This is a very good saw, certainly not a top of the line as far as money goes, but will do most anythin you want a band saw to do. This has a lot of the things people add on later, such as upper and lower roller bearings, quick tension release lever, light, chip blower, etc.

However, I have used my table saw much more than my band saw on this project. Most of the cuts are straight and, especially for the pipes, require relatively close tolerances, which I can’t get easily on a band saw.

Remember, don’t just tell us how your organ project is coming along, show us with pictures. No pictures, it didn’t happen. :thumb:

Update!

Sorry for the delay in posting updates, but I have made some significant progress.

Pressure Box: This is coming along nicely. The general box is finished, I still need the lid and much of the movement mechanism. I have added the sides and primed everything.

Crank: I don't have access to a welder but I found a loctite product (609) that is designed for gluing metal cylindrical surfaces. It has a 3000 psi shear strength, which is far more than what I will see in the organ. I have tried my best to break the joints and can't do it, so I am pretty comfortable with this solution.

Tracker Bar: I have the connectors for the tracker bar completed and will cut the rest of the tracker bar over the next couple days.

Pipes: I have my first pipe (middle C) completed and it sounds great when blown! I have started work on the big F bass pipe.

to keep Chuck happy, I have attached pictures.

Attachments

• 2009-09-20 20.20.23.jpg
    2009-09-20 20.20.23.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 2009-09-20 20.20.55.jpg
    2009-09-20 20.20.55.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 2009-09-20 20.21.18.jpg
    2009-09-20 20.21.18.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 2009-09-20 20.21.34.jpg
    2009-09-20 20.21.34.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 78
Organ Build

Wow Ira you are flying. The progress looks really great and it makes me wish I was further along. I really like your idea of using Locktite to bond the crank, you are sure right about the strength of that stuff, it is pretty tough. I might just copy your idea there. I have to go get some more Baltic Birch plywood this week before I can do any more. I got started on a couple of pipes and ran out of stock. Keep up the progress and the pictures.
Charles

Ira, thank you for the pictures! Your work looks great. You are really coming along well. I bet by the weekend, you will be further along than I am. Unfortunately, I can’t multitask :dunno: and I am taking a quarter long bowl turning class and I have been working on turning.

Organ Build

Alright I have some questions regarding the pressure box. I am getting ready to start to cut the parts, and before I do I must ask you that are past this stage, am I correct in assuming that the holes for the Feed Spool, and the holes for the Take up Spool are drilled at 10mm diameter? I don't want to get the holes too big and cause an air leak problem down the road. And also, Should I order a spool in order to get a proper fit? or did you make your own take up spool? I would think that it would be simple to make one.
These are going to be the first of many questions I am afraid. As it was stated in another post the instructions are a little foggy in some areas, or I am just dense.
Charles

The hole for the feed spool will be in the area of 1/2" so yes 10mm will work the holes you are looking at (or slots) are for the bearing points where the stem of the feed spool rides the hole in the pressure box for this will be covered up by the rewind so no problems with leaks or hole size also its only drilled on the backside of pressure box.
Now the hole for the take up spool. Start with a 1/4" and drill from the front with both front and back clamped together (make sure they are facing right DAMHINT) and do not drill all the way through just drill into the back far enough to have an alignment hole. If you should drill through then you will need to make a 1/8" patch to plug hole. After you get the take up spool made and shaft installed and the alignment right you will make the front hole a loose fit the bearing will seal well enough as to not cause any problems.
So now If I have confused you enough if you need picture just holler I am working on my pressure box now also.

Also I would get your test roll ordered with a spool so as to have it there to set your rewind. I am working on a way of making our own rolls but not there yet

Jay