Yes, Jay! Pictures please. I've started to layout my first cuts - I have the majority of the bellows pieces layed out and am watching the videos/reviewing the plans. Unfortunately I have a class all next week and thus probably won't be posting my next real work on the blog until the last weekend in March, but I'd love to try out a pipe then.

Also I'd love to see a closeup picture of one of YOUR pipes. I just bought a new bench sander and I think its going to help this process alot :)

LOVE jigs! :D

This gets better and better.

OOOH! Pictures? Can't wait. :lurk: :thumb:

Ya know, when researching this on the Web, there are so many different ways people have approached this and the posts are over a period of 15 years or more, that it is almost daunting. Certainly tools and skills of the builder. In reading the tips and hints, those fellows in GB are scrounge artists par excellence. :clap:

Looks like I'll even be able to use the lathe on the knobs of the pipe stoppers. So do we get to cross post on the spinny side? :rofl:

I am also envious of the gatherings in Europe where organs of all varieties can be oggled and heard. I can't find anything like that in this country. :huh:

I am also envious of the gatherings in Europe where organs of all varieties can be oggled and heard. I can't find anything like that in this country. :huh:

Yeah here in the US they are few and far between. There are a few in Ohio and a new gathering that goes on in NYC but way to far for me to make it to yet.
One thing to do when you get done with the organ and playing is contact Art & Craft shows and tell them what you have you will start getting invites I just got 2 yesterday. And I also play for the Springfield Arts Counsels shows in May and Sept. I'm the only one that keeps getting invited back every year for 8 years now. You will spend as much time show people how it works as you will playing and the KIDS LOVE IT.

Start looking for your Monkey NOW

Jay

Im off to take some pictures

Street Organ

Thai is going to be great fun and I hope that more jump in. I am anxiously awaiting the shipment of the plans and DVD. I was just informed this morning that I am going to have to have surgery on my right leg in a week or so. So I guess I will be behind others on the build, so I will be out of the shop for a couple of weeks at least, but I will have time to study the plans and I will be following what others are doing. Looking forward to pictures Jay. We love pictures you know.
Charles

Well I finely took some pictures of the pipe jig and crankshaft hope this helps I will keep adding as I can.

Pipe jig resize.jpg
This is my gluing jig it is made of some 3/4" UHMW that I picked up cheap it is 6"x26" for no reason other than its what I had. You could make the same thing from any wood and put a finish on it and the wax the heck out of it so glue will not stick or cover with wax paper.
The 2 pipes shown: the larger one is make of Baltic Birch and the smaller one is of Hard Maple all pipes are made of 1/8" stock.

Crankshaft 1 resize.jpgCrankshaft 2.jpgCrankshaft 3.jpg

These are of the crankshaft on the Universal because it was open and easy to get to. :D It is made up of 5/16 and 1/4 steel rod and 5/16"x3/4" aluminum bar. I just cut it with the regular chop saw blade with no problems just take your time. Then drilled the holes and tapped for a 8-32 screw (I have a bunch of these screws if needed)

This is a start and will keep adding. :wave: :huh:

Jay

P.S. can someone tell me how to put thumbnails on here that when open will be much larger so y'all can see them better.

Last edited:
Bigger pictures would be nice!:D:D Just played your Youtube again. The wife just can't understand why I sit her with a goofy grin on my face listening to it:rofl::rofl: I asked her how she could listen to it and not have a smile on her face. She made some comment about me liking the the 3 Stooges too and at that point I let it drop.:rolleyes:;)

How much is it for the plans and the DVD?? I need to build one just to antagonize my wife:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Organ Build

Dean, I am sure I will be in the same boat when mine arrives. My wife hasn't said much so far, except "what are you going to do with it?"
They just don't get it I guess. It will be great fun I am sure.
Chuck

Jay, you're bad!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Its really a hoot when I'm out playing the organ at Art & Craft shows and the little old church Lady's come up and ask about it that's when I get to ask the if they want to play with my organ. They ALWAYS look at me, think for a second and bust out laughing. Then they crank the organ when done you see them off in the distance just giggling way. Its a hoot. :rofl::rofl:

Jay

Glue for pipes??

Been doing some reading. I gather fish glue is the glue of choice for the leather of the bellows. That true?

Also couldn't make sense of the glue required for the pipes. Some one described it as Elmer's white glue mixed with rubber cement. And that finding in the USA is difficult.

What say you, organ guru?

Glue for pipes??

Been doing some reading. I gather fish glue is the glue of choice for the leather of the bellows. That true?

Also couldn't make sense of the glue required for the pipes. Some one described it as Elmer's white glue mixed with rubber cement. And that finding in the USA is difficult.

What say you, organ guru?

John says PVA for most everything unless specifically stated.

I think most wood glues are going to be ok.. I have some gorilla glue that lists HPVA II, which I think will be good enough. If not... maybe tightbond which is HPVA I?

We'll see what Jay says he uses.

John says PVA for most everything unless specifically stated.

I think most wood glues are going to be ok.. I have some gorilla glue that lists HPVA II, which I think will be good enough. If not... maybe tightbond which is HPVA I?

We'll see what Jay says he uses.

Use Titebond the regular stuff for everything it works great. I have used hot hide glue but unless you have had a lot of practice with it and want the added expense of a glue pot forget it. Titebond will hold the bellows cloth very well I have had no problems with it and it is easy to work with. Been playing mine for about 8 years at Art & Crafts show with no problems all glued with titebond. :thumb:

Dean forget the gorilla glue you wont like it on this project Titebond all the way.

I use a contact cement for leather and will get the name of it tomorrow I get it from a leather supply co here in Springfield but I only use it for small things you would NOT want to glue the bellows up with it.

I'm going to build a pipe to show how I do it with the jig and will try to get it posted in the next couple of days. :wave:

Jay

Last edited:
..clip..
Dean forget the gorilla glue you wont like it on this project Titebond all the way.
..clip..
I'm going to build a pipe to show how I do it with the jig and will try to get it posted in the next couple of days. :wave:

Jay

Jay, I'm just curious if I truely need another bottle of glue :huh: Not that I care all that much. The GG that I have is the GG wood glue. If I look at titebond -> the have original, premium and ultimate. The GG wood glue looks identical to the premium tb.

Now the GG foaming stuff I use for pens occasionally.. thats a given. Is the TB regular going to really be all that better? And if so, I'm curious as to why - not so much interested in the glue as the properties that help with the organ build.

Dean

Dean, I read that a particular piece on the pipe might need to come off in the future for 'voicing'. This particular glue allowed the piece to be pried off with no damage and the old glue to be rolled off, like rubber cement, and the piece replaced. Sort of no-harm, no foul.

Look around in here for lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/KWIC/index.html

Dean I am not familiar with that GG a small bottle of Titebond would be more than enough to build the organ and I know it works for everything including the bellows cloth and it can be removed and sanded off if needed. If the GG is the equivalent of Titebond then I see no problem I have just had my best luck with Titebond and its all I have use for years now for everything.

Don't use Titebond II or III it moves to much, if the GG you have is like this stuff then I wouldn't use it for the Organ.

Carol there are a lot of pros on the MMD that are doing rebuilds all the time and want that kind of glue for repair ease. On the John Smiths Organs the way John has designed the pipes once voiced you wont need to mess with them again and if you do you can still pop it off sand it clean and give it another go DAMHINT

ALSO
Nice find Carol you are really doing your home work the MMD is a great source for help on a lot of things just keep in mind most are pros and go at things in a very different way just keep that in mind and you will gain a lot of good info.

Jay

Last edited: