Welcome Roger. Definitely not too late. I have the plans but haven't even started yet. It has to wait until I get a few other thing done first (and I convince my wife it is a NECESSARY thing for me to build!).

Here is a quick shot of my pressure box so far. Hope to get the lid done tomorrow evening then start on the tracker bar. I need to go back and finish up my bellows as well. I put off covering them but I feel confident now that I can do it ok.

Tom

Attachments

• 02 resized.jpg
    02 resized.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 66
Here is the other side. I tried to keep things very square like John suggests but I think all my tools must be crooked. :rofl:
I'll need to go over it pretty good to seal up all the seams before I shellac it. Jay, you had told me to use silicone to seal the seams. Should I run a bead of glue down all the cracks first? Silicone then shellac or the other way around??????

Tom

Attachments

• 05 resized.jpg
    05 resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 47
Sorry, I didn’t get around to taking pictures of the “window” in my lid. I was too busy screwing up the lid latch. Oh well, maybe the FOURTH try will work.

Welcome Roger.

Here are pictures of the window in my lid, one from the top and the other from the bottom.

Tom, Jay has photos of his lid latch and idler arm lever on page 63, post # 626 in this thread.

Attachments

• Oregan lid window top resized.jpg
    Oregan lid window top resized.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 55
  • Organ lid window bottom resized.jpg
    Organ lid window bottom resized.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 56
:thumb:You and your organ... Every day I open the forum and the lead string has to do with your organ... I haven't read all the responders but I believe this might be a record (correct me if I'm wrong, oh great moderator) as to how many times the posting is lead off by a fellow's organ. (or any other project, for that matter). :thumb: a bunch of mileage for a project. But worth the comments. Better than I could do. :thumb:
I love your work. (? 86 pages ????)

:thumb:You and your organ... Every day I open the forum and the lead string has to do with your organ... I haven't read all the responders but I believe this might be a record (correct me if I'm wrong, oh great moderator) as to how many times the posting is lead off by a fellow's organ. (or any other project, for that matter). :thumb: a bunch of mileage for a project. But worth the comments. Better than I could do. :thumb:
I love your work. (? 86 pages ????)

We ain't done yet Bill were shootn for the record :rofl::rofl:

Tom,
Yes, that is one of Ed's tracker bars. Don't know if it works yet but the constructiuon is a work of art, beautifully done. I have to re-do one side of the case so I can't just hook it up and try it out. So close - yet so far!:(

Bill,

I'll bet you the pages will double before this thread runs its course.

I have so many questions this could go on a looooong time. :dunno: :dunno: :rofl: :rofl:

Chuck, I ordered a tracker bar along with a test roll from Ed today. It does look nice. I think it will probably save me a couple weeks of building time. I got my window cut out tonight but I'll reserve the photos until I can get it set in place.

Tom

Jay (or anyone) what can you tell me about the optimum length or shape of the winding handle. I see the Topsy 3 uses a "wheel" type. Is there any meaningful difference? I really like the shape that Chuck used on his and thought of trying to come up with a similar (but different) shape but I think that I read somewhere about the lenght must not be much more than the plans show for optimum cranking. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Tom

Jay (or anyone) what can you tell me about the optimum length or shape of the winding handle. I see the Topsy 3 uses a "wheel" type. Is there any meaningful difference? I really like the shape that Chuck used on his and thought of trying to come up with a similar (but different) shape but I think that I read somewhere about the lenght must not be much more than the plans show for optimum cranking. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Tom

You can make it look like what ever you want but you need to use the throw length that John shows as it is just right to short will make it harder to crank to long and you will wear your arm out.
A wheel will make it smoother and easier because of the weight.

Jay

Tom, my crank is 6" from center to center. I can make complete revolitions from the elbow without involving what once was my rotator cuff. That is assuming that, when I make my cart, the rod is at elbow height. Right now, that is a big IF.

Follow up on initial introduction

Thank you for the kind greetings after my initial post. Just to comment on the use of oak for pipes. It is one of choice for “real” organs. When it is quarter cut pores are not evident and it is more stable. I will get around to pictures.

Question – I have made the side pipes and so far there are oriented with the speaking mouths facing outwards. I do not see a any reason to not have this configuration – any comments?

Question – Not related to construction, but rather to the playing after the fact. I remember reference to historic hats but haven’t been able to find the reference again. Can anyone help with that? I do a couple of craft shows each year with maybe doing more next year and am looking forward to having the JS to help draw interest to my booth.

OK so it is true you have to see the DVD and read the plans and make notes or you will get into trouble. Not enough information about the pressure box but I guess I muddled through. Holes in the wrong place cause I followed the plans with out reviewing once more the DVD.

I will report on progress….

Roger

Hi Roger, glad to hear that your making progress. I too am "muddling" along. I have alot of "pieces" built. I just need to start making everything fit together. There have been many times throughout this build that I have had to watch the DVD over and over to find the information I needed. It is there... you just have to find it. It isn't always spelled out for us as easily as we would like. I keep thinking to myself during this whole process that it will be a very unique item when done because not too many are going to build one. It makes me appreciate them more knowing the process those have gone through to build one. I can say the same thing for those who build fine furniture. I wish I could do that.

To answer some of your questions. Just do a google search for "Top Hats". You will find lots of places that sell them.

I think your pipes can face anywhere you want them to as long as they fit in your case (assuming your putting your organ in a case). If you don't totally enclose your organ then you can face them anywhere I believe.

Tom