organ Build

Welcome aboard Kenny. I hope that your build goes well. It is a lot of fun and I am sure you will meet the challenge. As others have said, welcome to the family, and we love pictures
Charles

Hello Kenny,

I am just a few miles W. of Jay! So if you visit Jay please stop by my place to say hello face to face.

Paul

Hello All, One step closer, ordered Senior plans Sunday, recieved an email From Diane that plans would be sent out today. Jay, I looked over your post notes on building a pipe. Thanks for your imput. First thing to build is a glue jig for the pipes. What kind of material did you use. Also do you have any bellows material left and a the metal crank as I have no metal working abilities. I'm sure that as I get material together I will not be able to wait till retirment to get started. We have a excellent woodworking store here in Independence MO called Metro Hardwoods so already I have 1/8 inch baltic birch. Jeff, the manager, also has some excellent hardwoods that could be used in the project. Hope all is well with all

Kenny Heermann

Hello All, One step closer, ordered Senior plans Sunday, recieved an email From Diane that plans would be sent out today. Jay, I looked over your post notes on building a pipe. Thanks for your imput. First thing to build is a glue jig for the pipes. What kind of material did you use. Also do you have any bellows material left and a the metal crank as I have no metal working abilities. I'm sure that as I get material together I will not be able to wait till retirment to get started. We have a excellent woodworking store here in Independence MO called Metro Hardwoods so already I have 1/8 inch baltic birch. Jeff, the manager, also has some excellent hardwoods that could be used in the project. Hope all is well with all

Kenny Heermann

Kenny I used UHMW but only because I had it I got it real cheap at an auction some years ago. You can use melamine or any thing that glue wont stick to you could finish plywood and wax it that would work too.

Yes I still have plenty of Bellows cloth and the Crank throws I am out of springs at the moment but will be making some more soon.

Send me a PM with your address and stuff and I will work you up a care package and get back with ya. :thumb::thumb:

Jay

Hello, Jay sent you a pm I think, I hope. Once again thanks to all for the imput into this thread. Looking forward to getting started, By the way, the wife just rolled her eyes when I told her about this, I think that means ok, one would think I'd know after 38 years.

Welcome to the group, Kenny.

Well, my first attempt at mounting the back pipe board was a failure so I spent Saturday and Sunday (amungst kids and grandchildren) morning pondering. The second attempt was successful (so far). The first attempt at mounting the front pipe board was a failure. The nipple on the back of the front middle pipe hits the front of the rear pipe. Measure twice, three, maybe four times and glue once. Yeah, sure, that’s what I did. I’ll ponder tonight and see what happens tomorrow.

For those of you who are new, I’m not following the Senior 20 plans for placing the pipes. I am placing all the pipes in front, nine of the largest pipes behind eleven smaller pipes.

Well both bellows are now pumping air...
I had to settle on functional instead of beauty..

Glueing the bellows cloth was a messy challenge but it is done.

The reservoir assembly is almost done..

maybe the next try will be both functional and pretty!

No photos due to emmbrasment after seeing Jay's, Chuck's, Tom's and several others...

Kind of glad they will be hidden (somewhat )

paul

Hey Paul....that is great!....good to hear your making progress.

I just got back from vacation and was able to read posts (using hotel computer) but I forgot my password to the forum and was not able to sign in and respond until now.

Tom

I finally got the pipes mounted to the boards and the boards mounted in the case. The pipes are mounted to the boards with Velcro and are a little out of place in this picture, but this gives an idea of what I am trying to do. I have to order a lot of pipe tubing because this is quite a bit different from John Smith’s pipe layout. John calls for about a yards of the ¼” ID tubing but I will be ordering 10 yards.

I think I’m also going to order my top hat. I’m getting that close!

ps: I will be facing the pipes with Birdseye Maple veneer, so, in the finished product, you won’t see the notes written on the face of the pipes.

I’m debating whether to cover the mechanism behind the pipes or leave it open. Esthetically, it would look better covered, but I think leaving it open would draw more interest.

Attachments

• Pipes mounted Resized.jpg
    Pipes mounted Resized.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Chuck, I really like the pipe arrangement you did. It looks great and is not the normal....which I like.

I'm back to work on mine this week after taking a week off for vacation. Sometimes it just feels like I take one step forward and two steps.....(make that three steps) back. As everything is starting to come together I'm finding that it all fits very very tight. I sure wish I had made the openings in the mechanic side walls larger to fit the idler and such through....very close indeed.
Here are a few photos of where I'm at with mine. I got the handles on my cranks done tonight. I put a roll of music in it and it seems to crank and roll and rewind nice and smooth so that is a good sign. Not sure if my lid is going to be air tight or not...not liking the fit. I also do not like the way the tracker bar is held down with the 4 screws. Seems like a improvement can be made there.

Tom

Attachments

• Organ back R.jpg
    Organ back R.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Organ mechanics.jpg
    Organ mechanics.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Organ mechanics 2.jpg
    Organ mechanics 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
  • Organ open.jpg
    Organ open.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Jay, I really need to start getting the bellows finished up. I think tomorrow evening I'm going to get them sealed up with shellac and maybe start wooking with the cloth by this weekend.

Tom

Tom, that is looking super! I love the crank handle and all. Very nice work. After seeing you're and Chuck's, I won't be posting any pictures of mine as I go, er, if and when I ever get started. Life and other hobbies just keep getting in the way.

Boy you guys are making such great progress. Thought came to mind of a small orchestra of these organs. Hey Jay do you know if there has ever been a get together of people with these organs and them all playing the same tune in symphony. My bet is that could be Guiness World Record. Imagine about i dunno say 10 to 20 of the same size organ all getting together and playing the same tune. Would sure get some publicity.:D Not sure what that would sound like though.

Keep up the good work guys were following along even though we dont comment.

Chuck you showing some serious creativity there with your pipe layout.:thumb:

Tom you look like youre close to D day and firing it up. Handles sure look great.

As to keeping it open vesus closing it up, i think the mystery is part of the intrigue in these things. I would make it possible to open up for show and tell after having played it for an audience. Just so no one thinks its a hoax and there is some electronic gadget in the box doing the work on some hidden loudspeaker.

But remember the magician never reveals how he did the trick.:D

They do have some get togethers in the UK. John has hooked up 3 of the Topsy's to play at the same time. Raffin has a video of 4 or 5 people cranking his organs together and I think there are a couple of the John Smith Universals playing together also.
We just need to get a group of them done and try it. :thumb: