Make sure you drill your holes for the tubing size in the pipes and do it before you glue the front cap on DAMHINT. Make sure you understand how you are mitering the pipes you are not cutting a section out of them you are just cutting the 45 and flipping the part. It may need a little sanding to make a good joint.

I also use small strips of bellows cloth on the seam to make them stronger and help seal the angle joint.

Double check "A#" or "F" cant remember which to make sure the tube will fit in the case and not have interference with the pressure box. One thing that will help is to drill the hole as far to the bottom as you can but you may also need to make that first length a little longer but don't go overboard.

If this just makes you more confused you know how to get a hold of me :D:D:thumb:

Tom,

Wish I could help you on the pipes...:rofl:

I am on my 3rd set of bellows and reservoir -- hope this one looks better and holds air.

and my 2nd pressure box -- too many mistakes in the first one.

Last edited:
Tom,

Wish I could help you on the pipes...:rofl:

I am on my 3rd set of bellows and reservoir -- hope this one looks better and holds air.

and my 2nd pressure box -- too many mistakes in the first one.

Paul, you are not alone, I have two "other " sets of bellows on a shelf as well as a reservoir that somehow got made 1 1/2 inch's to small :dunno:.
I have no idea how that happened....but it did :huh: :huh:

I'm currently out in the garage working. I added the cloth to my bellows and reservoir last night. This morning I went out and trimmed off any excess material and while standing there looking at them I gently pushed down on each set of bellows and they DID NOT spring back up into place. I thought...what the heck :huh::huh: It was then that I realized that they were actually sucking the surface of the table top...That means they must hold air ok I'm hoping.

Tom

If I understand it correctly, all pipes start out as long straight pipes. If a pipe needs to be cut and mitered to fit in the case it is done AFTER it is built up????

I also understand that all of the pipes should be made about 10% longer than the plans call for????? I'll be making mine out of 1/8 Baltic birch ply and sealing the insides with shellac. Anyone have any special tips for me that I may not know or have forgotten about.

Tom

Yes, make it straight. Cut the miter, turn the piece around, and it fits right on. With a little clean up.

Yes again. You'll be very happy when you trim the excess off, instead of trying to add some back on. ;)

One thing I found very useful is a sanding plate made from a granite(or other smooth finish) floor tile. Glue a piece of sandpaper on it. Makes it very easy to flatten small pieces.

Bob

Tom, I think you were also asking why to make it 10% longer? When you go to tune the pipes, this gives you a little extra room if you have to pull the stopper out a little further. I think John made the measurements off of his pipes, so to compensate for other people's pipes, he suggests cutting them a little longer.

I started a segmented bowl class Saturday and will have "homework" for the next two months, so I'll get to the organ after that is done. To help me with my homework, I purchased a new Jet JWL-1642EVS Pro wood lathe.

Tom, I think you were also asking why to make it 10% longer? When you go to tune the pipes, this gives you a little extra room if you have to pull the stopper out a little further. I think John made the measurements off of his pipes, so to compensate for other people's pipes, he suggests cutting them a little longer.

I started a segmented bowl class Saturday and will have "homework" for the next two months, so I'll get to the organ after that is done. To help me with my homework, I purchased a new Jet JWL-1642EVS Pro wood lathe.

shame on you being sneaky and not tellun everybody that you got another new toy chuck:)

Chuck you will love it!
For all the "nay" sayers -- I see the lathe!

They need to do what I do
1. stand on one foot
2. close the opposite eye from the foot that is on the ground
3. squint and try to look cross eyed (err with one eye)
4. Say Chuck 3 times as you hop up and down.

Do you see it now!?

paul

To show you that I am really trying to make an organ.

How many parts can you name?

I know it is a mess! But I know where things are!

Also this is to show all that I am using the TS again! Thinking and worrying all the time!

paul

Last edited:
Jay, I still need to install my spill valve. You had sent me black cowhide leather is this ok for that spill valve. I assume fuzzy side down? I also assume it is glued to both pieces of the spill valve?

Tom

Last edited:
shame on you being sneaky and not tellun everybody that you got another new toy chuck:)

Larry, wasn't sneaky at all. I posted it about two hours after I bought it. It probably won't be here for a few weeks. That will give me time to clean up the shop/garage. Yeah, sure!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You will see pictures as soon as it is shipped. I might even take it out of the box before I take pictures

Looking real good, Paul.

Last edited:
Paul,

We (The Bride and I) had been talking about an new laithe when Jet had a sale, but I thought it was in September or October. After the third bowl, The Bride said "Can't you make any larger ones? That opened the door. So when I came home from the class, I told her about the sale and she said go get it. Man, I have a GREAT wife!!! But she is a quilter so she has expensive toys also and understands.