Jay

those are fancy! I was thinking more on the line of a flat sheet cut to length and width hinged like your leg but can go over center to hold open and then pushed in to allow it to close.

Still kind of brain dead on how to keep the source and take-up spools in line.

Big mistake today. I decided to stain the boards that the pipes are mounted on, went to purchase some ¼” Baltic Burch at Woodcraft, but they were out, so I went to Lowes and bought two 24” X sheets of “Burch Plywood.” Should have known I was in trouble when the best looking sheets had a big bow in the middle. Got it home, cut, drilled and stained the boards. Well, this Chinese crap is just that – CRAP. There are so many flaws in the veneer that the stain just came out horrible. I threw it away, even the cutoff remnants. I’ll have to wait until Woodcraft gets a new supply of Baltic Burch. I applied Birdseye Maple veneer to and shellacked the nine back pipes. Tomorrow, as well as working on a segmented bowl, I’ll work on applying the Birdseye Maple to the small pipes and finish them. I ordered the tubing today also. By the way, my hat came in.

Attachments

• Top hat.jpg
    Top hat.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
What type of hinges are used to allow the lid to open? Not the side hinge.
Where to purchase them -- local -- not internet order and wait.

The window in the top -- is it plexi-glass and does it have to be inset into the top?

Thanks Paul

Paul, This is how I did it - per Jay's instructions.

Attachments

• Oregan lid window top resized.jpg
    Oregan lid window top resized.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 52
  • Organ lid window bottom resized.jpg
    Organ lid window bottom resized.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 49
Paul, I did my lid window just like Chuck shows also.... as per Jay's instructions.

I used two small hinges for my lid because that's what I had laying around.

Chuck you look like an official crank master...no turning back now. :rofl: (seriously...nice looking hat)

Tom

Tonight I got all my pipe stoppers installed, cut all the pipe mouth pieces, holes drilled. Placed mouth pieces on C pipe with rubber bands then held up to my mouth and blew into hole in back and.....HOOT...HOOT :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D :D
This is sooo cool.

Tom

Very cool Bart, you made me think back to a time when i was a little boy, we had two dachshunds a black one and brown. Sootie and Rudolf were their names. I am sure those dogs could talk. I know they knew how to ask for tea. :D:thumb:

Should ALL pipes be cut 10% longer than the chart in the plans? or does the chart include the 10%

all tops/bottoms and sides are cut -- not to length yet.... glue up starts tomorrow..

1/2mm is hard to achieve but oversize cut then sand to correct dimension is much easier. ------> 15.5 mm is silly! <-------