Page 53 of 235 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Organ build

Quote Originally Posted by Ira Burton View Post
    I did not have much time but did get 3 more pipes hooked up and playing, it actually plays small portions of the tune that are almost recognizable. My favorite part of a project is when it starts coming together!

Woot!
    Hey Ira have you got it playing yet and if so have you been able to get rid of that silly grin you have.

Jay

Organ Build

Jay, Do you think that these will fit the rolls that Ed Giada has?

Player Roll Spool Ends-- Black plastic
    For Regular size rolls, 2 inches diameter
    Left side without slot Old Part No. 451348A SH615L $ 2.00 np
    Right side with slot Old Part No. 451348B SH615R $ 2.00 np

Charles

That sounds like what Ed uses he may still have those if you ask and I think they are cheaper it sounds like what I have and use right now. Best just to ask Ed he's pretty quick to respond.

Do you have a photo of those or know where the source is.

If you buy all your rolls from Ed just ask for his standard spool ends and make your bearing slots and rewind to fit they work just fine.

Jay

Organ Build

Thanks Jay.
    I don't have a picture, but here is a link to the source that I located.
    http://www.stevespianoservice.com/player.htm
    This site has a lot of parts for repair of player Pianos
    I will contact Ed and see if he has anything
    Charles

Not being able to see them I cant tell but Im almost sure its going to be like what Ed has I would just get them from him an I know they will fit. You will then need to make the bearing plate slots 3/4" dia and I have some straight rewind pins made up now if you need one its what I have been using for about 8 years now.

Also for those of you still needing a tracker bar Ed told me he had a few left that he had made up sometime back you might ask him about them. I know nothing about them other than he told me he had them.

Jay

Finally got back to the organ! I ordered and received a Christmas Collection from Ed. Gaida so I want to entertain my fifteen lucky guests.

First picture is of the rewind mechanism. I made it from figured walnut and turned the wheels, the groves on the wheels and the handle on the lathe. I haven’t filed the male hex at the end of the shaft for the spool yet. Many thanks to Jay for all is help getting this right!

The second picture is of the take up spool. I couldn’t find the proper sized pipe (maybe an English pipe?) and a lemonade can seemed a little cheesy, so I turned the middle to size from a piece of Tupelo, a very light wood, weighing only 4 oz. I drilled a ¼” hole down the center for the axel. I ground a flat spot on the axel where the set screw will seat (picture three). With a 7/8” Forstner bit, I drilled a ¼” deep hole in the middle of the spool, then drilled a screw sized hole down the center of this down to the shaft hole, for the set screw, which doubles as the post that the music roll hook will attach to. The bottom of the screw was ground flat enough so that the head of the screw sits below the spool. The end pieces were cut from 1/8” Baltic Birch and then the spool was stained and given two coats of shellac. I have not cut the axel to length yet, I’ll make of the bearing blocks and install them first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rewind Mechanism.JPG   Take up spool.JPG   Shaft and set screw.JPG  

More good news

Hey Folks I just got off the phone with Ed Gaida and he is going to make spool ends for us that use the hex drive so everything will interchange and they will be WAY cheaper than getting them from Melvyn and you wont need one for every roll as they are made to change out from roll to roll. Contact Ed for all the details.
    edgaida@sbcglobal.net.

I just got some new rolls from Ed and boy are the sweet.
    Jay

Jay pointed out a design flaw in my take-up spool. He said that the retainer for the music D ring should not have a head on it as it will rip the D ring from the music when it comes to the end of the rewind. He suggested driving a straight pin in at an angle to hold the D ring. I’ll do this, and change the set screw with a counter sunk screw.

Peter Shirtcliffe told me that John Smith has a new web site at http://www.johnsmithbusker.com/
    Last edited by Chuck Rodekohr; 11-14-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Welcome Ed glad you joined us here.
    Jay

living in Cabrils, a small town 20Km. away from Barcelona, Spain
    Welcome Ed, Glad to have you here.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...