Wow Paul, sounds like your really moving along on your build. That's great! I could use a duet partner soon. Heck let's you, me and Jay form a trio! :rofl:
ok, ok...I got to finish mine first.

Tom

Well I hit a snag -- stupid on my part, but as an excuse I blame the chart in the plans..... from John S. ;)--

after looking and printing Jay's pipe instructions starting on page 13- I started the glue up process and said to "self" only one dimension that Jay gives matches the chart!! Yes stupid me!! I now see it says the "inside of the pipe dimension (J.S.)" ..... not cutting instructions ---> I am sure someplace John Smith suggested using 1/8 inch wood for the pipes so why did he make a chart using inside pipe instruction??!! Seems backwards to me -- let those that use some other thickness do the work of calculating the cutting size.. But I am stupid and thick headed and caustic at times...

It is not a total waste because the sides will be correct but what a mess for the bottom and tops.... some are close but I will sand the others down to size(maybe)..

Has anyone calculated the size of the tops and bottoms using 1/8 ply?
IF so would you share it with me?

Boy it is HOT and WET here wet because of the humidity.. Walking in a very warm swimming pool. HOT i say HOT..

Well I hit a snag -- stupid on my part, but as an excuse I blame the chart in the plans..... from John S. ;)--

after looking and printing Jay's pipe instructions starting on page 13- I started the glue up process and said to "self" only one dimension that Jay gives matches the chart!! Yes stupid me!! I now see it says the "inside of the pipe dimension (J.S.)" ..... not cutting instructions ---> I am sure someplace John Smith suggested using 1/8 inch wood for the pipes so why did he make a chart using inside pipe instruction??!! Seems backwards to me -- let those that use some other thickness do the work of calculating the cutting size.. But I am stupid and thick headed and caustic at times...

It is not a total waste because the sides will be correct but what a mess for the bottom and tops.... some are close but I will sand the others down to size(maybe)..

Has anyone calculated the size of the tops and bottoms using 1/8 ply?
IF so would you share it with me?

Boy it is HOT and WET here wet because of the humidity.. Walking in a very warm swimming pool. HOT i say HOT..

Paul I have a cut list using baltic birch but no way of sending you a copy but if you want to come and get it and make a copy you are welcome to it.

Or I can run make a copy tomorrow and mail it to you. :dunno:

Paul, I used 1/8 in Baltic birch as well. The only dimension that needs to be adjusted is the "B" strips. Add 7mm to each one and you will be good to go. I also added 10% to the total lengths as well.

Tom

I think I am okay with it now... I found a cut list that I had made in Dec. 09-- just need to adjust the length..

An Old person like me could not remember that I had worked that out...

At one time my ego would brag on my own memory and my mental agility not anymore -- I now beat myself up for being so stupid...

Thanks for you help...

Learn something new everyday!

Not all Baltic Birch (or Russian Birch) sheets are the same thickness... when labeled the same!

The 60" x 60" sheet purchased from a wood supplier in Marionville Mo is thicker than the small sheet purchased from Michaels crafts. Both labeled 1/8th

Two thickness of one is 7mm and the other is 6mm ---

Signature changed to
Master Pipe builder :rofl:

Learn something new everyday!

Not all Baltic Birch (or Russian Birch) sheets are the same thickness... when labeled the same!

The 60" x 60" sheet purchased from a wood supplier in Marionville Mo is thicker than the small sheet purchased from Michaels crafts. Both labeled 1/8th

Two thickness of one is 7mm and the other is 6mm ---

Signature changed to
Master Pipe builder :rofl:

I have my cut list made for the stuff form Marionville :thumb::thumb:
Thats the most common size if you are buying it in full sheets. The stuff from Michaels is sanded more

Hello All, No real reason to write this other than to move the post back higher on the list. Really,just a note to say I got a list of music from Ed today. really nice list, things about ready to start, have started to reread the thread thanks to a slow time at work. Jay, sure would like your pipe cut list, seems to be a confusing part of the plans. Good luck to all

Be safe, Kenny

The pipes sure have many parts!!! So many I am going blind! Mom said I would (go blind)!! :D :rofl:

After each one I count to see how many MORE!!

BABY IT'S HOT OUTSIDE!!!!!!! My build has been coming along nicely although a little slow. Tonight was the night I thought I could maybe start to tune the pipes. However....It's been 95-98 degrees here all day long. It's 8pm here now and still 90 degrees outside. That's too hot to be out in the un air conditioned shop so another day goes by. I did go out and mount a couple more pipes but the heat is just too much tonight.
I watched the news tonight and there is all kinds of wacky weather going on in different parts of the country. So I hope wherever you are, you are somewhere safe, dry and comfortable.

Tom

Tom,

What design or placement are you using for your pipes?

I think Chuck has mounted ALL his pipes in the front!

I would like to do something like this but the center pipe is too long I guess.

Last edited:
Paul, I WAS going to do that as well at first.... but I have since changed my mind and am now only mounting the smallest 10 pipes in front and the rest are mitered and fit underneath just like in John's video.

Tom

I really did not want to hide all of the pipes... mitering and hiding them under and in the back.. Kind of wanted to show them off.

paul