Jay,

I think punching the holes would not be a big problem to overcome.

getting rights to the copyright, arrangements for 20 notes, and musical ability would be my problem.

paul

Hello All. sorry to hear that Ed's not going to punch any more. I too would like to see someone in the USA do some punching. Looking back over the posts, I recall the coment that rolls from across the pond are high priced. Almost takes the fun out of the build that I have not yet started, almost. Tom, what is the name of the music on your youtube post, sounds perfect for a street organ.

Be safe, Kenny

Wonder if Ed would be interested in licensing his 20 note arrangements. Some of that music is so old that it is in the public domain. The arrangement, however, may be a separate issue with regard to public domain.

Perhaps he also would part with his puncher and allow someone else to provide rolls on this side of the pond.

Just a thought or three.

Maybe Jay would like to ask Ed. or just maybe he has already.

Carol those are terrific ideas. I was (notice was) involved with copyright laws in the past -- not a fun subject - the laws are not static and change with the wind.

There are reams and reams of paper that are full of contradictions concerning protected media. It seems that each niche has it own set of rules and many overlap.

I had a major setback yesterday on my organ build ! maybe today will be a better day or maybe not.

Well, I been away for a while and just tuned in to catch up. TOM, TOM, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Sounds soooo nice. Great work! Got to get your hat though.

I have to wait to start mine. Got some house remodeling to do. Fix up stuff. Wife wants to move after living here 29 years and raising our kids in the country. I just can't think of moving into town, lived in the sticks most my life. But, I guess she did it my way all these years, it's only fair to do it her way now. Very depressing to me, but it would mean more time to spend on hobbies once we get moved and settled. Got to try to think of the brighter side..

Tom, what is the name of the music on your youtube post, sounds perfect for a street organ.

Be safe, Kenny

Kenny, that is called the "Clarinet Polka". I had never heard it before myself but now it just keeps playing and playing in my head. It really gives the pipes a good workout.
I may have a tuning issue with the organ and it may not be playing all the notes as it should. I'm continuing to check things out.
As for a hat....I'm not sure if I'm a tophat kind of guy...but we'll see.

Tom

Looking back over the posts, I recall the coment that rolls from across the pond are high priced. Almost takes the fun out of the build that I have not yet started, almost.
Be safe, Kenny

Kenny, I wanted to let you know that I just placed an order for music WITH SPOOLS from Melvyn in England and WITH SHIPPING and the exchange rate it worked out to about $17.00 per song. That is about the same as what Ed wanted...and his did not come with spools.

Tom

Last edited:
Tom. thats great news, will look up the web site and place an order. I like to have all things, or most in place, before I begin a project. Do you know if Ed has sold all the used rolls, I sent him an email, he replied saying he was updating the list and would get back, have not heard from him. That tune seems to fit right into the organ, along with that smile.

Be safe, Kenny

Well Tom i am just catching up on this thread. I think your smile on that video says it all. I think these should be called smile generators. There is something about this music and these organs that changes ones mood and gets you smiling no matter what.

Thanks for doing the video, well done on the build it really sounds great. That low note comes in well.

Oh thats gonna be such fun.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Well, while I have gotten mine to play it certainly has not been the end of the project. I'm working on the case. I have a basic design in mind and am working to put it all together....but I have a question.......
When I built my pressure box I finished the outside and the lid with just plain polyurethane. I want to use a stained finish on the case and would like to have the lid match it but can I sand away the poly?????? Will the wood then take a stain ok????? I'm holding off posting any photos until the case is done which I hope to have in the next couple of days.....if I can figure this out.

Tom

I think punching the holes would not be a big problem to overcome. .... arrangements for 20 notes,

I have notes on punching Smith Busker rolls at
http://www.wallace-venable.name/mechanical-music/
On a sub-page you will find several 20 note arrangements.

.... getting rights to the copyright, ...
Assuming you are in the USA, there is no reason to expect trouble for PLAYING any music on a crank organ.

Tunes from before 1928 are essentially ALL free of copyright protection.

Most other music copyrights in the USA are managed by actions of ASCAP, the American Society of Composers, Arrangers & Publishers. You can read their rules on their website, but it seems clear to me that the basic rule is:

ASCAP does not seek payment from musicians.

For public performance, it is the venue which "must" pay for a license. If you play in a street, school or park, you are covered by the same annual license which the owners obtained to cover parades by the high school band, student rock groups, etc. (Your community does have a license for this, I hope. They are required to do so.) Same rules apply to bars, etc. as long as events don't gross $25,000 or so.

You may NOT publish sheet music, sell recordings (including rolls and CDs) etc. without obtaining expensive rights.

... sorry to hear that Ed's not going to punch any more.
Ed's rolls, as I recall, were all punched from arrangements which he obtained from overseas. The loss of access to the arrangements by Hiddo van Os, in Holland, is significant because Hiddo does good work in the Dutch style and does not offer punched rolls for Smith organs himself.

... I too would like to see someone in the USA do some punching. Looking back over the posts, I recall the comment that rolls from across the pond are high priced.
The other rolls Ed offered were from Melvyn Wright arrangements. Mel's arrangements are perhaps the best 20 note arrangements in the world. He has his own automated high speed punching equipment and accepts PayPal. He punches to order, generally shipping them within 24 hours. I have ordered rolls from him by email and received them within ten day or less.

As one of the few people who punch their own arrangements "by hand," I consider his prices very fair. I'd guess it takes me 15 to 20 hours to punch a roll, and he charges only about $60 for that work.

There may be options in the future. I have a very talented musical friend who does arrangements, often for lyrics writers. He is interested in looking into arranging music for our organs.

And when Jay gets his puncher punching, well, the options go up!

Git along, little doggie....oops, wrong kind of punching!

Tom,
I did the same thing with my pressure box, finished the outside with shellac. I realized my mistake when I wanted to stain it to match my Walnut top. I sanded the back quite a bit, but the stain ended up looking like one of those commercials for painting grain on a painted surface. It looks like painted on grain.

Well, while I have gotten mine to play it certainly has not been the end of the project. I'm working on the case. I have a basic design in mind and am working to put it all together....but I have a question.......
When I built my pressure box I finished the outside and the lid with just plain polyurethane. I want to use a stained finish on the case and would like to have the lid match it but can I sand away the poly?????? Will the wood then take a stain ok????? I'm holding off posting any photos until the case is done which I hope to have in the next couple of days.....if I can figure this out.

Tom

Maybe adding a layer of veneer on the back will give you a better result than trying to sand off the poly. That stuff really penetrates...