I'm DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Smith "Senior 20"

several months and lots of hours but I'm happy with it.

Tom

Attachments

• case front.jpg
    case front.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 68
  • case back.jpg
    case back.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 61
First Welcome Larry most here are building the the John Smith Senior 20. There are a few here with the J.S. Universal including me and I am working on Pipes for a New Topsy 3 by John now (I got it to HOOT yesterday:thumb:D) I hope to have more parts available for the other organs on my site soon.

Tom that looks GREAT man you did a nice job I like it.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

There will be a COAA (Carousel Organ Association of America) rally at the Living History Farms near Des Moines, Iowa on September 4 and 5, 2010. There will be several large organs, mostly of the Wurlitzer sort (building a replica is a possible, if advanced project) plus the ultimate home organ project, Trudy.
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzVgZ2nZ_4

The array of crank organs is expected to include John Smith organs, at least one Castlewood kit based on the Smith Busker, a Bode/Bird (homebuilt) plus small "factory" organs by Pell, Raffin, OSI, Prinsen, and Jaeger und Brommer.

Hello all, I have not ordered my plans yet but i want to build a senior.
I got the itch to make some sawdust and some prep for building the pipes, i see
that they are all mode from 1/8" pieces and not any wider than 2" i think i saw
on someones post. Can someone tell my what the max length of a bass pipe
would be? think i saw 2' again on the forums here.

I went through all 113 pages i think there is and it's still kinda swirling around
in the head.

Thanks Mike

Welcome Mike glad ya joined up.

The Senior 20's longest pipe is around 22" and you would make it about 24" and then trim back. I suggest to the folks to use 1/8" Baltic Birch ply to build the pipes out of as it is stable and very easy to work with and cheap. That is if you are in USA (put your location up and we will know what part are from and can better give help). The case I build out of 1/4 Baltic and some 1/2".

I have bellow cloth, spring, and working on making up some tracker bars, plus other parts coming soon.

I have built sever Senior's a Universal and working on Topsy 3 right now and will help you all I can to get-er-done. John also watches this site too.

Jay

Hey Jay. and thanks for the response. Why do you say baltic birch ply, just for the ease of having it already 1/8".
From what i gleaned from the past 113 pages it didn't matter what you used, i was thinking pine or poplar re sawed and
planed down to 1/8", then hardwood upper and lower lips, which i was thinking
of using some red heart or purple heart for.

Thanks Again

Hey Jay. and thanks for the response. Why do you say baltic birch ply, just for the ease of having it already 1/8".
From what i gleaned from the past 113 pages it didn't matter what you used, i was thinking pine or poplar re sawed and
planed down to 1/8", then hardwood upper and lower lips, which i was thinking
of using some red heart or purple heart for.

Thanks Again

Yep that would work just fine I do it all the time. I suggest Baltic because a lot of people dont like to cut stuff that small and it will usually blow up going thew the planer. I rip it on the table saw and then just sand it on a 6 X 48 belt sander or if you have a widebelt sander ya got er made.

The bourdon pipes I show in the Topsy 3 tread show pine pipes made that way

Jay

Hello all, very well done Tom, very well done. Makes me want to get started, but will work on Christmas presents first. Have everything needed except the turner, working on getting that next. Tom, your cranks are a work of art.

Be Safe, Kenny

I'm having an issue with proper tuning. I just re-voiced all my pipes to make sure they are correct. I'm using a Korg CA-1 chromatic tuner. Using a good tuning roll I tune each pipe according to the tuner. I'm having problems getting the pipes that are sharp (#) in proper tune. Using the tuner I set it for the note and then adjust the stopper of the pipe until the needle moves to the right side of the scale indicating that the note is sharp. The tuner will also "play" each note however it does not play all the sharp notes. I understand that some sharp notes are the same as other flat notes however I can't seem to get the sharp notes correct. Any suggestions????

Tom

Another thought. After posting this I got to thinking......If A# is the same as B(flat) then maybe I should be tuning that pipe to match B flat on the tuner instead of A#??????

Last edited: