Page 6 of 235 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Organ build

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Jay, you're bad!!!!
    Its really a hoot when I'm out playing the organ at Art & Craft shows and the little old church Lady's come up and ask about it that's when I get to ask the if they want to play with my organ. They ALWAYS look at me, think for a second and bust out laughing. Then they crank the organ when done you see them off in the distance just giggling way. Its a hoot.

Jay

I have resized the pictures hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    I have resized the pictures hope that helps
    I didn't see the previous (smaller) version, but the most recent ones look good to me.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The resized pictures are *much* better, thanks.

Glue for pipes??

Been doing some reading. I gather fish glue is the glue of choice for the leather of the bellows. That true?

Also couldn't make sense of the glue required for the pipes. Some one described it as Elmer's white glue mixed with rubber cement. And that finding in the USA is difficult.

What say you, organ guru?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    Glue for pipes??

Been doing some reading. I gather fish glue is the glue of choice for the leather of the bellows. That true?

Also couldn't make sense of the glue required for the pipes. Some one described it as Elmer's white glue mixed with rubber cement. And that finding in the USA is difficult.

What say you, organ guru?
    John says PVA for most everything unless specifically stated.

I think most wood glues are going to be ok.. I have some gorilla glue that lists HPVA II, which I think will be good enough. If not... maybe tightbond which is HPVA I?

We'll see what Jay says he uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Charlier View Post
    John says PVA for most everything unless specifically stated.

I think most wood glues are going to be ok.. I have some gorilla glue that lists HPVA II, which I think will be good enough. If not... maybe tightbond which is HPVA I?

We'll see what Jay says he uses.
    Use Titebond the regular stuff for everything it works great. I have used hot hide glue but unless you have had a lot of practice with it and want the added expense of a glue pot forget it. Titebond will hold the bellows cloth very well I have had no problems with it and it is easy to work with. Been playing mine for about 8 years at Art & Crafts show with no problems all glued with titebond.

Dean forget the gorilla glue you wont like it on this project Titebond all the way.

I use a contact cement for leather and will get the name of it tomorrow I get it from a leather supply co here in Springfield but I only use it for small things you would NOT want to glue the bellows up with it.

I'm going to build a pipe to show how I do it with the jig and will try to get it posted in the next couple of days.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Caughron; 03-20-2009 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    ..clip..
    Dean forget the gorilla glue you wont like it on this project Titebond all the way.
    ..clip..
    I'm going to build a pipe to show how I do it with the jig and will try to get it posted in the next couple of days.

Jay
    Jay, I'm just curious if I truely need another bottle of glue Not that I care all that much. The GG that I have is the GG wood glue. If I look at titebond -> the have original, premium and ultimate. The GG wood glue looks identical to the premium tb.

Now the GG foaming stuff I use for pens occasionally.. thats a given. Is the TB regular going to really be all that better? And if so, I'm curious as to why - not so much interested in the glue as the properties that help with the organ build.

Dean

Dean, I read that a particular piece on the pipe might need to come off in the future for 'voicing'. This particular glue allowed the piece to be pried off with no damage and the old glue to be rolled off, like rubber cement, and the piece replaced. Sort of no-harm, no foul.

Look around in here for lots of interesting stuff.

http://www.mmdigest.com/Archives/KWIC/index.html

Dean I am not familiar with that GG a small bottle of Titebond would be more than enough to build the organ and I know it works for everything including the bellows cloth and it can be removed and sanded off if needed. If the GG is the equivalent of Titebond then I see no problem I have just had my best luck with Titebond and its all I have use for years now for everything.

Don't use Titebond II or III it moves to much, if the GG you have is like this stuff then I wouldn't use it for the Organ.

Carol there are a lot of pros on the MMD that are doing rebuilds all the time and want that kind of glue for repair ease. On the John Smiths Organs the way John has designed the pipes once voiced you wont need to mess with them again and if you do you can still pop it off sand it clean and give it another go DAMHINT

ALSO
    Nice find Carol you are really doing your home work the MMD is a great source for help on a lot of things just keep in mind most are pros and go at things in a very different way just keep that in mind and you will gain a lot of good info.

Jay
    Last edited by Jay Caughron; 03-20-2009 at 05:19 PM.