Organ Build

I dropped John a line to see what he says about the plans. I will wait to see what his response is. I found it strange that only the Busker is mentioned in the instructions. I would like to hear what others have to say when they get their plans.
Charles

What really makes the different is the build up and care of sealing the pipe you always want to us a hardwood for the front lips as it will not be as affected by moisture as much as softwood and will hold the sharp edge better.
Hope that makes since!!

I think Alan Pell just said that because his pipes sound so sweet :D and he didn't want to give away any secrets:rofl:

Jay

Then, if the harder the wood the better, boxwood should make great front lips
or even greater sounding pipes wouldn't it?

Then, if the harder the wood the better, boxwood should make great front lips
or even greater sounding pipes wouldn't it?

I'm not familiar with boxwood Toni but if it is a tight grained hard wood it will work fine for the fronts. If I were you where you have basswood I would make the body of the pipes from that and the front form boxwood and that should give you a very nice sounding pipe.

Or which ever wood you have the most of and is the cheapest :D

Jay

Hi Peter.

Do you mean that the tonality of a pipe is given mainly by the front of the pipe?.
I would have thought that it relies on the whole pipe.
Hello Toni. No I do not say that at all. The comment came reputedly came from a Master Builder(in my opinion THE best) and I am always happy to go along with advice from the Top. I do not need to know the why's and where-fors , only that the advice Works!!

Who is to say my pipes are better or worse for using Pear and Basswood, all can say is they are good enough for me.

As for using Box for the fronts , I feel I must be living on a different Planet! When did you last see a piece of Boxwood wide enough to make even the modest size of the pipes If you have, could you afford to buy it !!?? Great material----but just not on.! Best Wishes Peter

So, I have a couple questions. They may be answered in the video, but the video I received was a VHS cassette, which I don't have anything to play on.

And the written plans are, ummm, "challenging" (I'm actually trying to redraw the bits and pieces in SU so I can hopefully visualize it more clearly)

1. The bottom rails of the reservoir- are they attached to the 1/4" top of the bellows?
2. There are two bellows side-by-side?

Charlie,

The answers are all yes.. The 2 bellows are side by side and under the resevoir.

And YES the video helps you see how they are connected. I had the exact same confusion at first. I also like the idea of using SU to redraw them.

I tried playing with SU a bit, but havn't used it much. I would definately help visuallize some things.

So, I have a couple questions. They may be answered in the video, but the video I received was a VHS cassette, which I don't have anything to play on.

And the written plans are, ummm, "challenging" (I'm actually trying to redraw the bits and pieces in SU so I can hopefully visualize it more clearly)

1. The bottom rails of the reservoir- are they attached to the 1/4" top of the bellows?
2. There are two bellows side-by-side?

Charlie who did you order your plans from? I thought all came as DVD now. I would request a DVD and I bet John will take care of you on that.
Jay

I can also post a picture of any part you have a question on

Jay,
I ordered from Peter at RollCutter. I sent him an e-mail about it, but no answer yet.

If possible, a photo of the bellows/reservoir would be appreciated, thanks.

Organ Build

Well I am back on track I think. I received a message from John today, and I did receive the wrong plans. He is sending the correct set and I have sent the Busker plans back to him, so all is well again, He said that he had a bad week last week so I guess that is where the mix up occurred. Don't we all have a bad day now and then? Now I have to clear the existing projects from the shop to get ready to build.

Chuck

Jay,
I ordered from Peter at RollCutter. I sent him an e-mail about it, but no answer yet.

If possible, a photo of the bellows/reservoir would be appreciated, thanks.

I was afraid of that I'm sure Peter Hood will take care of the problem (just don't know when) but for any one wanting the plans order from John if you cant find the address let me know I just had a Long talk with John Smith today and he said to contact him for plans.

But contact me with any build problems or if you have trouble getting what you want so we don't have John having to answer the same Questions over and over. I now have direct contact with John.

Also you can save a lot of money by making all your parts and get what is needed here in the USA cheaper I will show you how and tell you where I have found the parts. I'm not in this for money just the fun we will all have.:thumb::thumb:

Jay

I got an email last Sunday night from John saying my plans (for the Senior with the DVD) would be going out in the morrow's mail. They have not yet arrived. I am hoping this was not at the beginning of John's 'bad' week!

I like the idea of re-drawing them in Sketch-Up. I have little experience with that, but since I cannot begin until summer, it may help me get organized. Perhaps those of us who do attempt to use Sketch-Up could exchange files via private email to help each other.

With that said, here is what I do NOT mean. I do not mean to post these drawings here or anywhere else. They would become part of our own paid-for package of plans. I suspect John is using the income, however much it is, to supplement his later years. I know he is giving over the handling of the sales of plans to his son the end of this month.

Please, let us honor his innovativeness by purchasing his plans from him if we wish to build an organ. It is so easy to spread intellectual information willy-nilly via the Internet. But this is not for us to spread around. Upon the completion of our happy music makers, we become members of an exclusive group of international woodworkers.

Here is another thing I do NOT mean. I do not mean to lecture a group of very nice people. Its just that once the genie is out of the jar, it is out, not ever to return. And, it seems, information on the Internet never goes away. Even if it is wrong or should not be there.

I think this is the Family Woodworking way.

Thanks for bearing with me.

I got an e-mail from John this morning telling me that he'll post my plans this afternoon, so I hope to receive them in a week or so.

Carol I totally agree with you, and I guess that most of the family members share the same opinion, and the ones who don't will not speak up for sure:)

So, so far how many organs will be on the way? This post may last longer than the Yanagicho aparto renovation from Stu:D:D.

I count,
Jay
Carol
Charles
Charlie
Myself

That makes five I have not missed anybody.

...With that said, here is what I do NOT mean. I do not mean to post these drawings here or anywhere else. They would become part of our own paid-for package of plans. I suspect John is using the income, however much it is, to supplement his later years. I know he is giving over the handling of the sales of plans to his son the end of this month.

Please, let us honor his innovativeness by purchasing his plans from him if we wish to build an organ. It is so easy to spread intellectual information willy-nilly via the Internet. But this is not for us to spread around. Upon the completion of our happy music makers, we become members of an exclusive group of international woodworkers.

I think this is the Family Woodworking way.

Thanks for bearing with me.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I wholeheartedly agree.

...So, so far how many organs will be on the way? This post may last longer than the Yanagicho aparto renovation from Stu:D:D.

I count,
Jay
Carol
Charles
Charlie
Myself

The Mods and Admins have discussed creating a separate subforum for the organ builders, but have decided not to add one at this point. We'd suggest that each of you who build an organ start a separate thread for your respective builds. That way it'll be easier to find the things that are pertinent to your build, and even with 5 (or even 10) folks building at a time, it won't be a lot of threads for us sideline observers to read through regularly.

:
The Mods and Admins have discussed creating a separate subforum for the organ builders, but have decided not to add one at this point. We'd suggest that each of you who build an organ start a separate thread for your respective builds. That way it'll be easier to find the things that are pertinent to your build, and even with 5 (or even 10) folks building at a time, it won't be a lot of threads for us sideline observers to read through regularly.

Sorry, sorry, I didn't mean it... I was sucked into the vortex!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I got an e-mail from John this morning telling me that he'll post my plans this afternoon, so I hope to receive them in a week or so.

Carol I totally agree with you, and I guess that most of the family members share the same opinion, and the ones who don't will not speak up for sure:)

So, so far how many organs will be on the way? This post may last longer than the Yanagicho aparto renovation from Stu:D:D.

I count,
Jay
Carol
Charles
Charlie
Myself

Well said Carol
I talked to John at some length this A.M. and I know that Toni's plans are in the mail and Carol everything I have received from John has taken a min of 10 day so yours should be showing up soon.

Toni add Dean to your list as he has already started his build and has a blog started so we can all keep up with him. I'm still working on Royall:rofl::rofl:

Charlie I am working on the photos of the bellow/res and should have them soon I just have a few more picture to take of the pipe build. Going to give those of you that are not building a little teaser :D:D

Jay

Ya know what? I kinda like the idea of all of us hanging together on one thread. If we start separate threads that becomes more onerous to keep up. Those of us ahead will lead those coming along. I kinda like the group idea.

I don't think we will exceed the number of views of Marty's shop build! :rofl: :rofl: Although the number is moving right up.

We must have a ton on spectators.:lurk::clap::lurk::clap::lurk::clap:

Like I said, share the popcorn, will ya?

I count,
Jay
Carol
Charles
Charlie
Myself

had i not read your post, i might not have responded. would that have lumped me in with scoundrels and hooligans? :eek: