Another welcome to John and thanks for the background material.

So, I have a couple more questions...
1. Well, I've been meaning to get a DVD player for the old analog TV in the basement. So I wound up getting one with DVD + VHS (I have a few other cassettes anyway). Anyway, my tape is about 1 hour long, the first part (I think) is John making the prototype of the Senior and comparing it to the Busker, the 2nd part is detailed construction of the Senior, but I'm not clear what the 3rd part (referenced above) is? Or does the DVD contain "bonus material"?
2. Is it reasonable to construct the drive shaft out of wood?

Another welcome to John and thanks for the background material.

So, I have a couple more questions...
1. Well, I've been meaning to get a DVD player for the old analog TV in the basement. So I wound up getting one with DVD + VHS (I have a few other cassettes anyway). Anyway, my tape is about 1 hour long, the first part (I think) is John making the prototype of the Senior and comparing it to the Busker, the 2nd part is detailed construction of the Senior, but I'm not clear what the 3rd part (referenced above) is? Or does the DVD contain "bonus material"?
2. Is it reasonable to construct the drive shaft out of wood?

Charlie I will have to go and review the tape to see what part 3 is will get back with that

I don't think that wood would work well at all as you need bearing block to hold the shaft and wood to wood will not last and I just don't think the shaft would hold up to the twisting and such. If you look at my post on sealing the pipes the last picture on that post on the right side you will see how I now make my crankshafts and I will show you how with just a drill press and a tap. :thumb:

Jay

Wow! The granpoohpa his very own self! Welcome John, and what I just said is a compliment! :thumb:

AND...my plans came today! WooHoo!:D :D :D And hey, guys, did you notice the serial number sticker? How very, very cool! :thumb: :thumb:

Won't get much chance to look at them or the DVD until this weekend though. :(

Busy, busy week. Next week Wednesday, Easter break begins. Some breathing room, :thumb: and 6 weeks to graduation. :eek: :thumb:

Welcome to the family John!
I hope that you're conciuous of what you and Jay have unleashed here!:D:D

I'm happy you joined, but don't worry we will not squezze you to death with questions, Jay offered himself to be sacrificed instead of you :rofl::rofl:

A very hearty welcome to you, John. Although I'll not be building an organ, I'll be watching those who do. Thanks for your willingness to pass on your knowledge.

Vaughn!
How the heck are you?
Drop me a email dude.
I am playing music again
I know, I know,
Throw my but out of Julliard and what da ya get?
Nother day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't ya call me,
Cause I can't go.
See I owe my soul to the company store.

Per

Well, Bless you pea pickin heart!!:D

Had Ernie Fords song on a clear blue 45 in 52-53 just about wore it out:thumb::rofl:

Vaughn!
How the heck are you?
Drop me a email dude.
I am playing music again
I know, I know,
Throw my but out of Julliard and what da ya get?
Nother day older and deeper in debt.
Saint Peter don't ya call me,
Cause I can't go.
See I owe my soul to the company store.

Per

Wooden Crankshaft?, 'fraid not! At some point you will let the youngsters have a go on your Organ. If you want a preview of that, have a look at You Tube at the entries under "gemmadan" !!!!!! Better; Steel, Stainless or Brass 3/8" or1/2" diameter. If this seems 'over the top' just think that if you use wooden pillow-blocks that it will increase the bearing surface nicely. If you decide on ball races 1/2" are easier to come by. As we are among a Woodworking community, this is a bit 'off thread', but how about a nice wooden-spoked Handwheel instead of the usual metal Handle ? Helps to iron out the threepenny-bit effect of the crank's T.D.C. Just a thought. Greetings Peter

A few questions about the tuner,
As I am a complete music illiterate I have no idea at all about which one to buy:
Most of the tuners I find are for guitar tuning, will they work for the organ?

What is a "chromatic" tuner?

and last but not least, is there any glossary between english notes and european ones, the only ones I know are DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA, SI,

So I'm completely lost when you talk about G7 E or whatsoever. I do not think that matters much for building the organ but it will for tuning specially if I get a US tuner, or I might mix up all the pipes and get an incredible cacophony out of my organ.

Maybe Vaughn or somebody else can help me.:(

As I am a complete music illiterate I have no idea at all about which one to buy:

and last but not least, is there any glossary between english notes and european ones, the only ones I know are DO, RE, MI, FA, SOL, LA, SI,

So I'm completely lost when you talk about G7 E or whatsoever. I do not think that matters much for building the organ but it will for tuning specially if I get a US tuner, or I might mix up all the pipes and get an incredible cacophony out of my organ.

Nope, you can't use a guitar one as they don't handle enough notes.

The numbers and letters correspond to the note and octave (several F's on a keyboard).

The short answer is you need a Chromatic tuner as that is the kind that can tune ANY note... A guitar tuner is normally set to only 6 notes. (5 if you count the E on both ends once).

Oh ... and as for US vs European notes?!?!? Someone will have to help me here as music is the universal language, isn't it ;)

Dean

Last edited:

Toni that tuner you found and posted will work just fine their is no deferents between a US and European tuner. There is no deferents in notes between country's with the exception of I think Germany calls one of the notes H. You will not need to be concerned about the G7 G4 etc just tune to the note that the plans tell you to and you will be fine no mater what number it is as you start to tune your pipes it will all make since and fall into place.
I couldn't remember anything about music from high school when I started and I have it playing just fine (I think :D)

Jay

A chromatic tuner is one that can recognize the whole tones (A, B, C,...) as well as semitones (A# (A sharp), Bb (B flat), ...). So if we need to tune a pipe to F#, then a chromatic tuner is needed. I suppose the opposite would be a diatonic tuner- don't know if they exist. Although a guitar's standard tuning is EADGBE, there are many alternate tunings and the guitar tuners that I know of will cover the organ range. Some identify the string, which of course doesn't apply in this case.

Organ Build

It appears that you have been a busy man. Those pipes look great Jay, Are they made of the Baltic birch? I also have been looking at the way that you made your crank shaft, and I am going to go a little differently I think. Instead of drilling and tapping as you did, I am thinking of drilling and using the spring roll pins to secure the pieces, At least I am going to experiment with it to see how it will work. I believe it will be a little easier.

Charles

It appears that you have been a busy man. Those pipes look great Jay, Are they made of the Baltic birch? I also have been looking at the way that you made your crank shaft, and I am going to go a little differently I think. Instead of drilling and tapping as you did, I am thinking of drilling and using the spring roll pins to secure the pieces, At least I am going to experiment with it to see how it will work. I believe it will be a little easier.

Charles

Yes Charles it is 1/8" Baltic Birch and I will use Baltic for the fronts of any pipe that wont show and then find something I like for the pipes I choose to have up front thinking about Bloodwood right now as I have some thin stock here.
Jay

Another one got the disease!:D this is spreading like a virus, will this be a pandemia? Will be Jay held responsible for spreading the disease?:rofl:

So far these are the victims:rofl:

Carol
Charles
Charlie
Dean
Drew
Jay
Royall
Myself

Toni, I think most of your questions were answered, but I'll throw in a little more.

As has been said, a chromatic tuner covers all the notes (at least the ones we're accustomed to). In very simplified terms, you can think of it as including all the white keys plus the black keys on a piano. Some other tuners, like some guitar tuners, only cover a few of the white keys.

As far as the Do Re Mi question, go to this link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

...and scroll about halfway down the page to the section titled Fixed do solfège, you'll see a table that compares the letter notes (A B C...) to the Romance system notes (Do Re Fa...). The table also include the sharps and flats -- in other words, the black keys of the piano. There is also a picture showing how those letters relate to the piano keys, but don't worry if they make no sense.

For your purposes, any inexpensive chromatic tuner should work fine. Your organ plans will tell you to tune a pipe to a specific letter, and the tuner will show you the results, using the same letter system. If your note is a little bit off, the tuner will easily show you which way to adjust it. After your first pipe, you will see that adjusting the pipe one direction makes the note go up, and adjusting the other direction makes the note go down. Once you see how those changes are shown on the tuner, I'm sure it will be easy. :thumb: