Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All you need is Money!

All you need is Money!

Not my shop, Maybe after I win the Lottery Probably be easier if I bought a ticket tho

http://www.lagunatools.com/videos.aspx
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I was actually turned off watching that. Impressions: excess, lotsa $$$ and bad case of OCD.

Look out Norm Abram, I think you have been out done!Obviously a lot of thought went into this shop. If I remember correctly he said he was in the healthcare field and mainly delt with alot of woodworkers. He could take all of the ideas he has seen and refine them and not make the same mistakes others have made.Would I love to have a shop like that, MOST DEFINITELY. Do I need a shop that well equiped, probably not. He is like me in that he doesn't like a dirty shop.Mine is not as highly organized as his but it will get there someday.

I agree that it was layed out very well and I'd probably do the same if I had that luxury. Had a few more hand drills and sandpaper than I'd keep on hand, but to each their own.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    I agree that it was layed out very well and I'd probably do the same if I had that luxury. Had a few more hand drills and sandpaper than I'd keep on hand, but to each their own.
    He wasn't hurting for hammers either ;-) Let's see; lives in San Diego, Works wood for a living and can obviously afford to, must be like heaven.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I feel real good now about the purchase of my Grizzly Go 462 lathe because out of curiosity I went to Laguna's website to look around and their platinum 1643 lathe is identical to mine only mine was half the price..

Fantastic. There wasn't a thing in the Video that turned me off, (except maybe his Tool BRAND Choice.

Excessive, maybe, but I can certainly think of MANY folks that spend a lot more on their hobby than he has invested, and in hobbies that don't produce ONE thing of value to anyone except those people and companies that receive their money to do those expensive hobbies.

Obviously, he loves woodworking and has spent years working to earn the money to build and equip that shop and and as he said he has been working on it and collecting his tooling for 15 years. He worked for it, he wanted it, it harms no one and it can produce something of value to him and others, so what's NOT to like about that?????

I wouldn't even mind having his sandpaper stock, since I absolutely HATE to be in the middle of a project and have to stop and go get more supplies.

I will never own a shop like that, but I certainly would IF I could.(I might want to raise the tools & benches an inch or so though).

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I wish I could figure out HOW to lay my shop out. That guy has all the toys but where did he do assembly work or did I just miss it? When I start making cabinets ALL spare space just disappears! Poof! Just like that! He also had a great DC system. It did come across like an infomercial for Laguna.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

His shop is also featured in America's Best Home Workshops 2009. He has about 14 pages starting on page 88.
    James

I'm with Norman...the guy obviously worked at something hard to be able to afford such a shop, and it's set up the way he wants it. What's not to like?

When I start thinking about all the money I've spent on my relatively meager shop, I smile and realize A) It cost me less than the guy down the street spent on his bass boast, and B) I use it way more than the guy down the street uses his bass boat.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com