Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tick-less movements

tick-less movements

We have had a few nice clocks posted recently.
    Which reminded me why I haven't made a clock in a few years.
    The movements I have been able to find tick.
    We have had overnight house guests who actually removed the battery from clocks because the ticking kept them awake.
    The several clocks I have given as gifts may be displayed by the folks I gave them to but sans batteries. Explanation is that they cannot stand the ticking.
    Truth is, neither can I.
    Can someone recommend a source for battery operated movements that do not tick?

I think some of the 'better but still inexpensive' quartz movements are quiet. At least I've not noticed them ticking.

Try LV

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Can someone recommend a source for battery operated movements that do not tick?
    The movement in the clock I posted was the "Westminster Movement" from Woodcraft. Granted I haven't listened for it in a quiet room but I've not noticed a ticking sound from it.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I'm right there with you Frank! The ticking drives me up a wall but I'm always saying "Huh?" to people..... go figure!! I quit wearing wrist watches to bed years ago for the same reason. I'd put my arm under the pillow and would hear the darn thing ticking away I wonder if you could add rubber grommets to the mechanism and mount it with screws inside the clock rather than by the shaft to the face plate? It would remove the "sounding board" effect.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Hi Frank.

I do not want to start an argument here, and let me say in advance that clocks that tick also get on my nerves but...

Isn't this a sign on how much stressed we all are that we can't stand the ticking of a clock?

Mechanical clocks always ticked ( and louder than quartz ones) and most of them chimed as well and nobody complained about that. The most common way of knowing if a watch worked was approacing it to your ear, now even doing that it is difficult to hear them.

Nowadays we are continuously under the agression of noise, or the so called "ambient music", in shops, restaurants, everywhere. The roar of planes, cars and so forth, makes us desire and deserve some silence between the four walls of our homes, and we get mad at a clock because it ticks.
    That's another hint to me that we are going the wrong way with this civilisation of ours.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

No suggestions (other than check some of the better quartz movements), but I suspect you'd have gone nuts at the home of one my my dad's cousins. This cousin and her husband spent several years in Germany in the Army, and they got into collecting Black Forest cuckoo clocks. Over 100 of the darned things, all over the house, and all of them ticking loudly and making noise every 15, 30, or 60 minutes.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    No suggestions (other than check some of the better quartz movements), but I suspect you'd have gone nuts at the home of one my my dad's cousins. This cousin and her husband spent several years in Germany in the Army, and they got into collecting Black Forest cuckoo clocks. Over 100 of the darned things, all over the house, and all of them ticking loudly and making noise every 15, 30, or 60 minutes.
    Color me Jack Nicholson
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    That's funny Rennie!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

tick-less movements

I guess I am not stressed, I actually enjoy hearing the ticking of the clock. I have two that tick and chime also , and I sometimes have to look to see if they are running, since a lot of time I never hear them I would suggest a good quartz movement if you want tick-less. Sort of like living close to an airport or railroad track, the noise is overlooked after a while.
    Charles