Need your input prior to...

TV is will be wall mounted. The frig under the RAS cabinet. and the roll out bed under the TS outfeed table...:thumb:

Rob

I'm green with envy also....this is a purty nice shop :thumb::thumb:.... fortunately (for me) most of it would be wasted since I don't do anything except lathe work...
I hate to do flat work 'cause you have to measure twice and cut once and I always get that backwards :rofl:..

I didn't see your sharpening station for the lathe tools.. unless you just chew them sharp, you're gonna need one of them..

You mentioned neighbors... I'm fortunate.. my closest neighbor is about 100 yards up the hill behind where my shop sits and they tell me than can somtimes hear the DC hum, but both of them work and aren't home most of the time.
All of the other neighbors are about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away and one of them runs a garage up behind his house and he is much noisier than me... he's close to 1/2 mile away and I can sometimes hear him talking (maybe yelling is more correct) inside my shop which is on the other side of the house from him... I don't have to worry about the neighbors.

Looks like you are in for a nice retirement when the time comes...

I didn't see your sharpening station for the lathe tools.. unless you just chew them sharp, you're gonna need one of them..

I was looking at have two sharpening stations. One on a mobile base (still contemplating what to get for this) that I could set next to the lathe, while using it and on at a permanent station (Worksharp 3000) by the dovetail jig workbench.

I was thinking on a Jet grinder/wolverine jig to put by the lathe on a mobile workbench. (I already have the WS3000.)

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is your assembly area? The clamp rack is on the "top" wall in the PDF, which is surrounded by machines. There are a few mobile workbenches shown, but none of them is particularly close to the clamp rack.

I really like having clamps close when I'm assembling.

Oh, and if I had the space I'd make one of the benches to be shorter -- like only 15-20" tall, for when I'm assembling taller projects.

Edit:
A bit later I had another look at the shop drawings and pondered some more...

Yeah, the benches kind of concern me. They seem scattered all over. You've got a workbench over by the lathe, and a big long bench beside the RAS way in the opposite corner. You've got a mobile bench in front of the Shaper, and then another one over on the other side of the TS, as well as the outfeed table behind the TS... :huh:

In particular, I'd want a secondary bench/assembly-table to be right beside/behind my main workbench. I find that very helpful. I might be assembling something on the one bench, and have other bits-n-pieces close at hand on the other bench.

Oh yeah... where are your hand tools being stored? There is no wall near by your main fixed workbench. Where do you store the chisels, handsaws, drills, sanders, etc... ? I don't see any cabinet nearby

The other thing I'm puzzling over is that you have several tools with large infeed/outfeed requirements, but they're all oriented along the short axis of the shop, rather than the long axis. Is there any particular reason for this?

(looks like a lovely space, a big space, and you sure have a ton 'o big iron to go in there! It'll be great when it's ready to run. Post photos! Hope you get a good arrangement that works for you!)

Last edited:
Where is your assembly area? ..I really like having clamps close when I'm assembling.

Good Point, I have been thinking about constructing the mobile workbenches with clamps, glue, glue brush storage below the for easy access

Oh, and if I had the space I'd make one of the benches to be shorter -- like only 15-20" tall,

Now that's a great idea, never thought of that!

Edit:the benches kind of concern me. They seem scattered all over.

All but one is mobile, and they are just located to be out of the way most of the time, and can be positioned closer to the main work bench during assembly.

Oh yeah... where are your hand tools being stored? I usually am pretty neat and clean up and put away tools as I go. One thought is to make one of the mobile workbenchs a hand tool storage cabinet and roll it next to the main work bench, when needed

The other thing I'm puzzling over is that you have several tools with large infeed/outfeed requirements, but they're all oriented along the short axis of the shop, rather than the long axis. Is there any particular reason for this? The infeed/outfeed arrangement on the tools is to handle 8-9' foot length boards. The only one I would put longer boards through would be the molder for doing trim molding up to 16' in length, which is why it is oriented lengthwise.

Post photos! Once I get to a point were I can some breathing room (i.e. things slow down with work), I will start posting the shop construction from the beginning.

Rob

Pardon my ignorance... why is there an infeed/outfeed shown for the panel saw? Whenever I've seen a panel saw used, the plywood NEVER extended past the ends of the saw structure. On every panel saw I've ever seen (at the local Borgs, only) the saw is the thing that moves around, not the plywood panel.

Panelsaws can be used for cross cutting a sheet of 4'x8' of plywood or ripping a sheet. The motor can turn 90 degrees on the frame, and by adjusting the height and locking the motor to the two vertical rails, you can rip a sheet of plywood.

So you need to have 8' in and 8' out for ripping, but you also need the physical space to slide the sheet in for cross cutting as well.

Rob

Attachments

• panelsaw511.jpg
    panelsaw511.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: