Need your input prior to...

Rob Damon

Hello all:

My shop building is up (finally) and the insulation is almost finished. (Long hours at work has slowed progress on this phase.) Ground breaking occurred Oct 31, 2007.

I have all the tools shown (in storage in a attached garage) except the cyclone and the various work benches, cabinets, countertops. (First sketch)

The walls shaded in are in place. The others are proposed. The tools are laid out based on a work flow of wood sizes I would expect (second post), in and out of each tool.

Because I work at an A/E firm, I will get one the Mechanical Engineers to layout and size dust collection and cyclone. But before I enlisted his help in that phase, I want to lock down all the equipment locations and make sure I am not leaving anything else out.

The shop ceilings are 10'. Each tool will get a separate electrical feed back to one of two panels. All the wire, conduit, fittings, receptacles, circuit breakers and panels have been bought based on this general arrangement.

I will have piped compressed air lines space around 20' on center around the shop and will have regular intervals of standard 20A-120v duplex receptacles and reel spool receptacle drops above the fixed work bench in the center of the room.

Any thing out of wack or any suggests are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Attachments

• Workshop Model_V1.pdf
    68.7 KB · Views: 185
Good Point about the dust getting in the finishing room. I had the door going to the hall way at first, but got concerned that if I had long piece not making the turn down the hall into the finishing room.

Rob

Looks like it's gonna be a sweet setup, Rob. :thumb: The only suggestion that comes to mind is the distance between the compressor and the finishing room. You may already have this in mind, but I've seen recommendations saying that having 50' or so of hardline (and some properly placed moisture traps) between the compressor and the spray gun helps to cut down on the moisture at the end of the line. Based on that, I'd probably have the finishing room supplied at the end of the loop that goes around the perimeter of the shop. In other words, counter-clockwise from the lower left corner of your drawing, ending at the finishing room.

Congrats on getting close to done with the shop. :D

Vaughn,

I was looking into getting a refrigerated air dryer to mount next to the air compressor to address the moist air. It can get really humid here in VA. The shop will be air conditioned. The air compressor will do about 25 scfm at 150 psi, so I will find something to match up with that.

Rob

Rob, is this shop being built for a business or hobby? Looks nice so far! If you are using this as a business where is your material storage? Also if you're building cabinets, where will you keep them while the others are being assembled? Nice selection of tools you have! One last question.... explane the door on the rt end of the building. Is that a man door inside of a larger door that can be opened??

Last edited:
Royall,

-Hobby now, business upon retirement from the job that is paying for all this.

-What's not shown is a 10' x 50' concrete slab that will be covered that will be attached to the top of the building plan for stacking/drying. I was planning on securing the panelsaw top frame to the wall and thus allowing the two rear leg supports to be removed and thus allow nearly 24" deep of two piles of sheet goods stack vertically behind the panel saw. Post cut down sheet goods would be racked in below the out feed table of the table saw (48" x 72"). Dried lumber would be racked on the wall above the RAS and on the left wall in the finishing room. If I run out of room, I still have the attached garage at the house (that the tools are being stored in now) to stack and store.

-Because this is in residential, I need the wall to cover the overhead door to dampen some of the sound. It will be removable, but once all the tools are in place, it shouldn't need to be removed. The roof has R-40 and the walls will have R-26 to dampen sound, so the overhead door are is the weak link.

Rob

Living in a rural county, there are a few "by right" home based business that you are allowed to do, as long as, you maintain the "right" work hours, don't have any "non-family" employees and don't have customers coming to the shop to "pickup".

The other secret is, I gave one neighbor a pickup truck and another lots of left over tools and I take the other neighbors yard trimmings to the county dump/landfill when I take my loads.

I have a chain saw and a chipper/shreader that is ready and available to help neighbors take down wayward or fallen branches. I have a riding lawn mower that I use to cut the grass up and down the permanent 20' wide easement/right-a-way that runs behind all of our properties, all summer long.

I am building up browny points, with the "be a good neighbor" policy.

Beside they all know that we don't live in a community with a homeowners association and I can paint the sides of the shop building any old ugly colors :eek:I want and drive down the value of all the homes in the neighborhood. (Considering, I inherited this house and thus paid nothing for it, so if the value drops, no big deal)

Rob:thumb:

Vaughn,

I was looking into getting a refrigerated air dryer to mount next to the air compressor to address the moist air. It can get really humid here in VA. The shop will be air conditioned. The air compressor will do about 25 scfm at 150 psi, so I will find something to match up with that.

Rob

Sounds like you've got it covered. ;) That should make for a nice rig.

A few of us here have used the "drying rack" approach:

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9521

So far, mine has worked very well with a 21 scfm @ 100 psi compressor. :thumb: I love having lots of cool, dry air. :D Since I got it, I've done more spraying than I'd anticipated, so I'm glad I built a good drying system.

Vaughn,
What a masterpiece.

I would be pulling my hair trying to seal all the leaks in a maze of pipes like that! (What am I thinking, I have no hair to pull out.:rofl::rofl:)

I may give it a try, but after a few hours of trying to stop the leaks, I think a visit to an online vendor that sales air dryers maybe less stressful.

Good job!

Rob

Raymond,

Either copper or the quick connect aluminum, but most likely I will end up with copper. I still have some time to contemplate my choices.

Rob

well some questions for you??? in the finish room you show wood racks and lots supply storage,, well first of all when you spray you have overspray of some type and and you wouldnt want your pretty maple have a touch of mahopngny stain on it would you? finish rooms noramally are for finish work only. you do need soem storage in ther but you need drying room too,, and i see you have amolder in your shop if you plan on making custom trim you ned room for it in youtr finish room and then to dry on some kind of rack..as for your clamps you want thema s close to your main assebly area as possible you dont want to have dodge another tool to get at them.. you always forget and need one more in some complaicated glue ups. well thats a few questions for now:) looks like you got alot stuff in a given space and in my expeiernce so far,, your gonna want to make some clear area to have your in the works projects that arent finished yet.. you start making a kitchen and your outa room fast. and i too feel you are gonna want adrying rack for your air supply. like vaughn suggested. take alook at TP tools for a idea of what they suggest for the ideal system.

Al, Larry,
That's a tough question.

The first priority is to spend some quality time just enjoying the process of building and putting together my dream come true shop.

The second priority will be in renovating the familiy home I inherited.

The third priority will be to renovate the home my wifes parents currently live in. They are in their late 80's and thier home was built back in the mid sixties. As my wife is an only child, she will eventually end up with that home. So we are going to update it, inside and out to either rent or sale it, depending on what is going on in our life when that point arrives. (Hopefully, many years from now.)

The fourth priority is to have a place to go and destress from the day job.

And finally, at retirement, to give back something. We have given much to Habitat for Humanity, and I like the idea of being able to spend time building products for donation to some of the local homes that get building annually.

Ultimately, as we have no children to pass things onto,so to pass on the shop equipment to the local high schools or trade shops.

So there really is not a specific item that I will focas on, except to have fun and relax at this life long hobby.

After working out of a 8'x10' metal shed for 26 years, this is certainly a blessing and a treat for me.

Some answers:

I have a attached garage that is 15'x20' that can be used for temp project storage or final products.

The storage area in the finishing was loosely designed without real thought to the overspray. I was planning on using something that our Architects specify for Hospitals/Docters offices, the ceiling track for floor to ceiling curtains. This could be used to "close off" areas when spraying finishes, as well as, running a track around the lathe to limit chips/shavings from going everywhere.

Similar to this: http://www.coldraco.com/cubicle.html

It's pretty heavy duty and will last for years/decades.

BTW, some good info on the TP tools site. Thanks for the link.

Rob

Seeing as you are going to have a bathroom/ stroage room. Consider removeing the hallway and extra door. This would allow you to slide your dp and othe bs in that corner. This would free up a bunch of room. The only thing that may be a problem is the dc suction to the sander and planer. It is better if these are within 20' of dc systems, unless your running a huge system.

Al,

I originally was going to leave it open without the walls/hall. We like to leave that door to the outside open when we are working in the garden, so we can come and go to wash up and use the bath room.

A few months back, new neighbors moved in beside us and they have triplets 6 year olds (2G/1B). As kids have a way of getting into things, I did want to leave it up to temptation. So by closing the shop area off with a wall/door, we can leave the outside door open and not worry about someone getting into the shop area and hurting themselves or one of the tools.

I am looking at something in the range of a 5 to 7-1/2hp cyclone with a 10" main duct, but this will be laid out and sized by one of the mechanical engineers where I work. They lay out systems for large/medium size shops in big/medium size manufacturing plants. If he says it will take more than that, I will have to move them closer, as you suggest.

All good points.

Thanks,

Rob