Another shaker carrier

ken werner

So my friend and co-worker hit the double nickel. I made her this carrier for a birthday gift. It's cherry, resawed to 1/4 inch, and bookmatched all around, so the grain runs continuously. The handle is ash, steam bent to the curve. Finish is shellac and wax.

Attachments

• carrier side view.jpg
    carrier side view.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 56
  • carrier 3-4 view.jpg
    carrier 3-4 view.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 45
  • carrier from above.jpg
    carrier from above.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 46
Thats really nice ken but how do you get the four corners to match i can see how to get 3 no problem but the forth???unless you have just put the single color area in the last corner and make the two tone areas be in the middle.:huh: by steam bending the ash it will retain its shape better than just bending it without steam.?

... how do you get the four corners to match i can see how to get 3 no problem but the forth??

by steam bending the ash it will retain its shape better than just bending it without steam.?

picture my diagram as a board that is resawn. The faces in the middle will have continuous grain, if you take the inside faces and put them on the outside.
It'll bend easier, with no stress, and will hold its form very well.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Mark. The handle has a good amount of face grain glued to the inside of the box, the handle is held by glue and pins. The pins are 1/8" cherry that I made by hammering them thru a shop made [cheap] dowel plate.

That's very nicely done. Ken. :clap: Out of curiosity, what are/were these traditionally used for in the Shaker communities?

BTW, your Sketchup skills are awesome. :D

Thanks Vaughn. I found this design 10-15 years ago in IIRC woodworker's journal. I don't know if it's authentic Shaker or just something to look like it is. I'll have to look thru some of my Shaker books to see if there is a similar carrier. So I can't answer your question.

Last edited:
Very Nice !

Great piece of work Ken. I really like the Shaker style. Excellent handle.

I took a Shaker oval box workshop last weekend with John Wilson. Lots of fun. I'll have to post the pics of the 5 boxes I made.

Don, the oval boxes are wondeful. I bet it was a real treat to take a class with Mr. Wilson. I have a set of his instructions from years ago. I was never very good at planing the parts down for the body - they'd shatter as I'd get close to the right thickness. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.