Good or Bad I did it!!!

Don't know if it was right or not, but went to Wichita, KS today to look at the 22124 Hybrid from Craftsman. Well the floor model looked like a truck had hit it and with a price tag of 1199.00 I just couldn't buy it.

So we stopped at Home Depot so I could look at some sanders and I asked if there was a chance of having a 3650/60 and nope none to be had. Asked about the 4511 so I could look at it. Was told nope none of those either. So my wife is sitting on the patio furniture waiting on me and calls me over. Up in the top of the rafters is a 4511. So I asked about it again and this time the girl working there tells me she just got it in yesterday. I hemmed and hawed around about then the wife finally said just by the thing. So I came home with it. I guess I'll either like it or feel like I got burned in the end. I have just started putting it together and let's say the instructions suck. I'll try and post a pic afterwards.

Hope I don't regret this. It won't be the first costly mistake I ever made though.

With the heritage behind that saw, I think you will be fine. I'm not totally sure how I feel about granite for a saw top, but I know it will be flat and slick.
The only question I have about that saw from what I've seen on the internet (haven't seen it in person) would be the fence. But if it is as good as the fence that came on my Ridgid 3612, then it will be fine.
I think the 4511 offers the most bang for the buck in the 600.00 range, and is a lot more saw than the 3612 I have that I paid the same thing for about 6 or 7 years ago.
So relax, take your time putting it together. Get help if need be. Get it dialed in and enjoy it. Jim.

Congrats, Dustin. I'm sure you're gonna be very happy with that saw. :thumb: I think it'd be hard to beat that saw in that price category.

Thanks guys. Maybe sometime next month when I finally get this hercu-lift figured out and put together right I will post a pic. Thing is driving me crazy.

Thanks guys. Maybe sometime next month when I finally get this hercu-lift figured out and put together right I will post a pic. Thing is driving me crazy.
If pictures of an existing Hercu-Lift will help, just holler. There are several of us around who've got them.

Well I don't know if yours has it or not, but do I tighten all the bolts for the legs prior to sitting the saw on them or leave them loose so I can make alignment adjustments if I need to?

seems like if I wait the dust chute will be in the way of the nuts, but if I don't loosen the nuts I can't get the dust chute to squeeze down between the legs. lol sounds like a no win situation. I think I figured out the Hecu-lift issue. I had the bolts tightened down and it says to let them spin freely. So it was to tight (I think).

I have the 22124 and for under $800 - 1000, it is a great saw with a great fence, blah, blah, blah. At $1000+ I would have passed as well, there are too many other options in that price range. Don't get me wrong, I love my saw but with CC and holiday sales I paid a reasonable price. The 4511's heritage indicates that it should be a really nice machine for you. Keep us posted and congrats.

saw vs saw

Hi Dustin , I have seen the saw you purchased at HD it is selling for $599.00, I had the fortunate luck of buying one of the 3660 , probably the last in my region, I had taken the advise of Vaughn to keep it , because he has it and so do many others here, I believe the saw you have has some advantages and dis advantages but for a granite top saw the price is definitely better than anything on the market today trust me I researched everyone on the planet and they are at least twice the cost + more. The only things that I have heard negative about it is fence? and possible chipping if you drop heavy item on it. Also fence is smaller than 3660. Yours is 30" mine 36" , but that might not mean a whole lot unless you"re planning on running a cabinet shop . Advantage granite smoothness , only thing most are concerned with that is mitre slots can wear or chip easier , But from what I think Ridgid probably has put it through the test and if there are any problems they probably will take care of it, unfortunately or fortunaltely we have both made a purchase , I am enjoying mine , putting it together can be work but once your"re done show pics, I am a firm believer in cast iron thats why I kept the 3660 also I got mine $400.00 + tax. I figure I would let the public do the testing for me and stick with the tried and true contractor style saw,, good luck with the granite cabinet saw, remeber vibration for yours will be less at the blade as well. I hope I helped you and just wanted to say congrats on you"re purchase and if I were you I'd go give the wife a kiss for noticing it in the rafter and allowing you to purchase , fortunatley my wife is the same way, I called her when I purchased the 3660 and she said don't hesitate to buy it , just do it , later gota go, off I went , and it's in my shop, Well later DB :type::D:thumb:

Well I don't know if yours has it or not, but do I tighten all the bolts for the legs prior to sitting the saw on them or leave them loose so I can make alignment adjustments if I need to?

seems like if I wait the dust chute will be in the way of the nuts, but if I don't loosen the nuts I can't get the dust chute to squeeze down between the legs. lol sounds like a no win situation. I think I figured out the Hecu-lift issue. I had the bolts tightened down and it says to let them spin freely. So it was to tight (I think).

Dustin -

I ended up laying mine down on its back to connect the legs/lift/dust chute assembly - it just seemed easier all around. And yes, the assembly instructions are LAME :huh::dunno::eek:

I think you'll like the big rock beast though - I sure to like mine!!:thumb:

-Kevin in Indy