Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medicine cabinets and Bathroom remodel update

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!

Medicine cabinets and Bathroom remodel update

OK I finished the kitchen remodel for the guys up coast a ways and now I'm getting things going for the bath remodel. I've got the vanity all cut out (photos will be in another post) but I need to build a matching medicine cabinet that will fit between the studs (16" centers). I plan on using 1/2" birch ply at this point and a rail and stile door with bead board field to match the vanity. Question, when making one of these, do you make them deeper than the cavity into the wall allows or keep them flush to the sheet rock? Or is it just to personal choice? With a max of 14 1/2", how tall can I go with out making it look out of proportion?

Thanks in advance for your help

PS. I plan on cutting some glass for shelves. What is a good way to soften the edge to keep fingers from getting cut. I think I knew once but forgotten
    Last edited by Royall Clark; 03-30-2009 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Updated
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

hi royall!!

are they going to be good to go with a medicine cabinet that is only 14.5" outside width? that's that space you have to work with, taking into consideration the standard 1.5" stud. you take off another 1" for the plywood sides, and there is only a 13.5" wide usable space. for a wider usable space, here is what i would do. if it were a non load bearing wall, i would cut the first set of studs, then frame in a box the width i wanted, attaching to the next set of studs, and to the ends of the studs that were cut.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Though about that Dan, but the back side of that wall faces the living room. And I just don't want to have to patch the other side due to the SR nails or screw pulling back through. I'll talk to the owners today when I go up to have another look-see. The wall it going on it to the right side of the vanity and is only 23" from the corner to the door trim.

I'll take some more photos while I'm up there today.

Thanks,
    Aloha,

Medicine cabinets

Morning Royall,

I think you are good to go with that width cabinet. I would consider an additional 1" or 1.5" depth and let the cabinet stick out from the wall a little. I take it you will have a large mirror on the wall above the vanity? That would be the only reason I can see for not making the med cab there.

As far as dressing the edges of the glass shelves, I have used my belt sander with a fine (220 or so) grit belt. Run the belt paralell to the edge (not crossways) If you felt ambitious, you could do it with a diamond hone like you use for sharpening chisels and planes. I'd just use the belt sander and go lightly and keep moving so you don't build too much heat. Works for me.

Keep us posted.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Thanks Tony, no mirror as it will be on the wall to the right of the vanity. They want an oval mirror in front of the sink. The cabinet door will look like the vanity doors. Those are like the kitchen cabinets, rail and stile with bead board.

PS. Got the headstock ready for a box. I'll send it off soon.
    Aloha,

Medicine cabinets

Yeah, That's what I meant, "mirror over the sink, med cab on the right wall.
    Correct?

I wouldn't go any taller than, or maybe not even as tall as the oval mirror.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

Registered voting member

also, this sounds like it gonna be very shallow too. 3 1/2" for the stud, and probably another 1/2" to 3/4" for the sheet rock. finished depth 3 3/4" to 4 1/4". also. you can probably pick up the shelves from a glass company. cut to the size you want, and ready to go. as far as using a belt sander goes, i would think that glass dust would be a little more dangerous than sawdust.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Thanks for the replies. Cathie and I drove up to the project today to a have a look see. (first time she's seen it sense the first walk though) I pounded the wall where the vanity is to go and got frustrated. Started poke a nail here and there and found wood going in all kinds of directions so took my rock saw out and cut a hole about center to where the cabinet is going. I've got studs closer than 16", leaving me with 12" between the studs and a cross member between the studs about 14" up from where the top of the vanity will be. Also there is wiring running down the inside of one stud that will be in the way. It had been already planned that I was going to fish a wire from the light over the vanity to a spot centered over the new shower. Today the customer decided they want a separate light switch for the new shower light. With that I'm going to just pull that section of rock off the wall where the cabinet is going and make the necessary changes to get the wiring placed so I have a bit more room for the cabinet. Thought I had a start date of the 30th but they want to start on the 23rd now
    Aloha,

Medicine cabinets

Wow,

Sounds like you're going to have all kinds of fun there.

Aloha, Tony

Registered voting member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Baideme View Post
    Wow,

Sounds like you're going to have all kinds of fun there.

Aloha, Tony
    Gee, Thanks Tony
    Aloha,