Thread: Late Valentine's Day gift for my sweetie....

Late Valentine's Day gift for my sweetie....

So I showed my girlfriend this last month, and told her it'd have to dry for a couple weeks then get sanded and varnished. (I also had other things and took her out to dinner--giving an unfinished gift wasn't in the plans, but the wood came to me just before V.day) The wood is Maple burl, likely red maple, but possibly Norway maple. The tree was 52" on the stump, completely covered with burls, and was my favorite tree; it was dying, however, and a VDOT crew took it out. I happened to drive by at the perfect time to say, hey, what are you doing with the wood......long story short, they were from out of town & didn't want to haul it all back. I got several cookie slices about 12-24" thick!!! (and 4 feet across). I've given away about half, and plan to turn the rest over the next few months!! Its about 8" tall, and 4.5" wide or so, and roughly 3/16" thick walls; Its a simple dry vase or open form, whatever you want to call it. The rim is a little distorted from drying, but it was very round.....
    There should be more pics, but I've already had to resize things twice& I'm frustrated; 800x800 is pretty small......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini-Nate's Bowls 014.jpg  

here they are.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mini-Nate's Bowls 011.jpg   mini-Nate's Bowls 012.jpg   mini-Nate's Bowls 013.jpg   mini-Nate's Bowls 015.jpg  

That's some pretty wood, and you did a great job with it.

On the resizing issue, what program are you using? Maybe someone here can help make it easier for you. (Anything bigger than 800 x 800 can be a pain to view on low resolution monitors. They also take up more disk space on the forum server.)

I did notice that all your pictures are sideways. I don't know if you've seen this before, but Windows Explorer has an option to rotate pics for you. While looking at the picture files in Thumbnail view (within Windows Explorer), if you right-click on a file you'll see options for "Rotate Clockwise" and "Rotate Counter Clockwise". Very handy feature.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That's some pretty wood, and you did a great job with it.

On the resizing issue, what program are you using? Maybe someone here can help make it easier for you. (Anything bigger than 800 x 800 can be a pain to view on low resolution monitors. They also take up more disk space on the forum server.)

I did notice that all your pictures are sideways. I don't know if you've seen this before, but Windows Explorer has an option to rotate pics for you. While looking at the picture files in Thumbnail view (within Windows Explorer), if you right-click on a file you'll see options for "Rotate Clockwise" and "Rotate Counter Clockwise". Very handy feature.
    Hey Vaughn. Thanks for the compliments! I'm using Mihov image resizer, but I did rotate them, or so I thought anyway....maybe I rotated the originals and not the mini versions....OOPS!!!!!!!!

That's my kinda bowl Nathan Form and finish is good in my eye. Let's see more! BTW...Vaughn is a great flipper!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Great looking piece out of some beautiful wood Nathan.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.