Thread: Determining the value of a project given as a donation.

Determining the value of a project given as a donation.

Hopefully a simple question. I have been asked to donate a few bowls to a local charity and to determine their "value".

Some factors specific to this situation:

1. I am a 'new' turner, and while they will be 'nice' I don't consider myself an artist nor have I sold any bowls.
    2. The bowls (from all turners) will be auctioned off at an event or given as gifts to volunteers.
    3. With the donation of bowls I will receive tickets to the event; more than one bowl = two $250 tickets.
    4. With my Jet Mini I am limited in the size of bowl I can make.
    5. My issue isn't tax based, just in setting the 'value'.

So, what do you feel I should use as my methodology for the 'value' of my donated bowls?

Thanks!

i dont turn at all, and so i cant say what one is worth but in your post you just said that two bowls gets you a ticket worth 250 dollars .if thats the case and you have doubts on yours being equal to that amount give more to make the pot even.. in your eyes,, the more they have to auction the more they get to give to the charity
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

That is a really hard call, I'd say that it would depend on the bowls, I'd make a bunch and then pick the ones you like the best
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Frank,

20 bucks per inch of diameter?

If you wanted to get really complex, width times height times ten dollars per inch?

If you think that's too high, multiply the dollar amount times .75?

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    i dont turn at all, and so i cant say what one is worth but in your post you just said that two bowls gets you a ticket worth 250 dollars .if thats the case and you have doubts on yours being equal to that amount give more to make the pot even.. in your eyes,, the more they have to auction the more they get to give to the charity
    Actually for two or more bowls they would give me $500 in tickets ($250 each). I like your point about giving as much as I can Larry, and I agree. The charity is Miriam's Kitchen, an organization that feeds the homeless here in Washington, DC. While I seriously doubt by bowls are anywhere near that value, I agree the more I can help, the better. Thanks Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    That is a really hard call, I'd say that it would depend on the bowls, I'd make a bunch and then pick the ones you like the best
    Well stated Stuart! This year they are also looking for "kitchen related" items, so I could do several salt mills, salt boxes, etc. and offer the best. Thanks Stuart!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Frank,

20 bucks per inch of diameter?
    If you wanted to get really complex, width times height times ten dollars per inch?
    If you think that's too high, multiply the dollar amount times .75?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Thank you Bill that is a good formula. I'll take a look at it and compare it to bowls I have purchased in the past and subtract for my lack of experience. Thanks Bill.

Congrats on being invited to participate. I was going to suggest a formula along the lines of what Bill suggested. Add the diameter to the height, then pick a number to multiply it by. $10.00? $7.00? $11.72? Whatever feels about right. Add a bit if the wood is extra nice, subtract a bit if you feel it's a 'lesser' piece. (Although from the sounds of things, you won't be donating 'lesser' pieces.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thank you Vaughn.