Thread: Freud 45 degree router bit

Freud 45 degree router bit

I'm trying to make small boxes (not for resale!) and am having trouble getting the 45 degree miter angle on my TS. Yes, I use the Wixey gauge, yes I made the jig described in Doug Stowe's book on box making, and yes I'm about to go insane. So my thought is to cut the miter with a 45 degree Freud bit (40-114) on my router table. I welcome any constructive opinions.

Thanks, DKT

havnt made any little boxes with a 45 degree router bit but have made couple chest tha thad mitrd corners..you will need to watch for tearout and use a miter guage with clamp to hold your piecer secure..hand pressure wont get it and yu can have a miscue,,not good try making a sled for your mitre slot with some fine sandpaper to help in the holding. use a clamp if yu can on your sled.. do your end cuts with a backer board, to elimate the chip out on the exit.. can do a precut as well on the tsaw to help the router work out.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    havnt made any little boxes with a 45 degree router bit but have made couple chest tha thad mitrd corners.
    All of your concerns are valid and I've been thinking about them. My problem appears to be that my TS is nearing the end of it's life span, being 35 years old. So $35 for a router bit vs $800 for a comparable TS is probably a no-brainer.

Thanks, DKT

I generally use a miter sled

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel-Sled-2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	29943

on which the side lay face down but, I do have that particular bit and have used it to put 45's on tenons that meet within the leg and it works great. I would think that it would be fine for boxes as well BUT, you will have to control your material. A coping sled

Name:	Rail and backer small.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	29942

would be a good choice but a simple square backer board could be used in a pinch.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

Name:	Rail and backer small.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	29942

would be a good choice but a simple square backer board could be used in a pinch.
    I have the sled you show in picture 1 (although not as fancy, I use c-clamps), but I like the router sled in picture 2. Now I have to figure out how to save your picture to my desktop so I can make a similar one.

Thanks, DKT

just click the pic and drag it over, or book mark this page for future refence.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    just click the pic and drag it over, or book mark this page for future refence.
    Got it, now all I have to do is built it. Thank you everybody for the good replies.

DKT