2 firsts!

Dewey Torres

My first bowl and my first lidded box:

Both are from a gifted batch of cedar.

picture.php

picture.php

Dewey,
Those are great pieces...
I have a ton of cedar to get turned up. What do you use for a finish??.. I'm still looking for a good finish for my cedar pieces.

Simple,
2 coats of shellac...wipe it on while on the lathe and then with a clean rag burnish it dry, the Bealle Buff with all three steps. Comes out great.

I saw your cedar piece and the shellac will bring out the deep rich wood tones. You can do the same exact thing with any of the wiping varnishes if you don't like shellac but the bottom line is you need the first step of your finish needs to penetrate. Does that make sense?

Great looking box Dewey :thumb: I remember my first one...Bernie got me off my behind and made me finish it:eek:....someone at work bought it! :eek: They are fast becoming my "go to" thing to have fun with when I dont have time for a big project and need my turning fix. Keep it up :wave:

Last edited:
Interesting treatments. I like. I also like the contrasting lines.
What kind of cedar is that?
Reason I ask is that red aromatic cedar does not like some finishes. They will make white splotches and, in some cases, not adhere due to oils rising from the wood.

Frank,
It is red cedar but I don't think it is aromatic red cedar. It came from some felled trees a few years back in Pensacola, FL.

I have the box and all of my turnings sitting on a shelf and will wait a month or so before giving away or selling just to watch how the finish and form hold up to the Colorado climate.